Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times

Advertisements

So, we are moving to Simpsonville, and these are the schools we are zoned for.

Elementary: Bryson Elementary School (GreatSchools rating 7)
Middle: Ralph Chandler Middle School (GreatSchools rating 8)
High: Woodmont High School (GreatSchools rating 5)

Anyone have feedback on these schools? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have 5 children: a just-turned 8-year old in 2nd grade, a 9-year old in 4th grade, a 11-year old (12 in a few months) in 6th grade, a 13-year old in 8th grade, and a 15-year old (almost 16) in 10th grade, so two elementary school aged, two middle school aged and one high school aged.

Last edited by SomeGuy47; 09-17-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:49 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
Looks like Bryson and Chandler are excellent and Woodmont is good:

Greenville County Schools Maintain Ratings on School Report Cards

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,415 times
Sometimes folks pick smaller houses in better zones (ie - rich folk neighborhoods). Always nice when your kid's BFF in highschool takes your kids to the bahamas every summer right?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Woodmont is okay at best. The long term history is that was a really poor high school. They built a new school and shifted the school attendance zone. It now includes a lot of area around Simpsonville, and it has improved some but I would not call it "good".....

Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 AM

266 posts, read 1,025,797 times
Another option is you can request special permission at any school you want, as long as they have openings. We have done that since we moved here.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
My daughter attends Brashier Middle College, it's a charter school attached to Greenville Tech in Simpsonville. You get in via a lottery that is going to be held very soon. You must maintain a B average or better to stay in the school. Only about 400 or so attend.

https://sites.google.com/a/faculty.b...e-college/Home

We home school our middle school child, but Ralph Chandler is a better than average middle school in that area.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,932 times
Sometimes the charter high schools have mid-year openings to fill. I don't know if they maintain a waiting list for those spots, but it may be worth investigating.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy47 View Post
So, we are moving to Simpsonville, and these are the schools we are zoned for.

Elementary: Bryson Elementary School (GreatSchools rating 7)
Middle: Ralph Chandler Middle School (GreatSchools rating 8)
High: Woodmont High School (GreatSchools rating 5)

Anyone have feedback on these schools? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have 5 children: a just-turned 8-year old in 2nd grade, a 9-year old in 4th grade, a 11-year old (12 in a few months) in 6th grade, a 13-year old in 8th grade, and a 15-year old (almost 16) in 10th grade, so two elementary school aged, two middle school aged and one high school aged.

here is a link to up to date data provided by the state and not some 2nd hand website such as "great"schools.com blah....

2013 - ESEA / Federal Accountability System - South Carolina Department of Education

I teach in the golden strip area aka simpsonville so here is my two cents as it were. Academically Hillcrest and Woodmont are not terribly far apart. http://ed.sc.gov/data/national-asses...2012_final.pdf is a link to statewide AP data for high schools offering AP courses. Woodmont offers an IB diploma to those who fulfill the requirements and has expanded their AP course offerings to include AP European History and AP Comp. Govt and AP Macroecon. Hillcrest has a very strong community and garners lots of local support from the simpsonville / fountain inn areas. Woodmont is a much more diverse community geographically and encompasses probably more land in its geocode than any other high school in the district. Both schools have amazing agricultural science programs. FWIW Hillcrest has some of the strongest athletics in the district and state. Woodmont has a fine arts and theater program that rivals the fine arts center on the campus of wade hampton high school.

The downside for some may be their respective enrollments. Hillcrest still hovers around 2,100 kids and Woodmont a little over 1,700. Woodmont this fall opened their new 400 student addition to increase their capacity to 2,000 students in the future.

Brashier is a fine school and for those that want a smaller school certainly that would be a good option.

All 3 are good options IMO it just depends on what you're looking for YOUR children. Just remember what works for the children of posters on here may not work for your children. Schedule a tour if need be prior to making a decision. Guidance departments are good about assisting with this.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:29 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Sometimes the charter high schools have mid-year openings to fill. I don't know if they maintain a waiting list for those spots, but it may be worth investigating.
You are correct about filling openings at Brashier, but from what the prinicpal told us at the parents meeting before school started, over 800 students where on the waiting list. This year I believe they have 422 students enrolled (which is up slightly from last year).

Amazingly, there have been kids that have dropped out so far this year. My daughter tells me that they drop out due to having to wear a uniform, but most likely it's due to the rigorous academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area