U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM

1,218 posts, read 810,291 times
Default WSPA-7 CBS May Be Dropped By Dish Network

Dish Network is threatening to drop CBS at the end of September due to a contract dispute with Media General, operator of Upstate affiliate WSPA-7. No more 7 On Your Side News and programming. Dispute concerns retransmission fees required by Media General to allow Dish to carry WSPA's signal. However, Channel 7 can be received easily with basic rabbit ears which are best designed to receive a VHF signal. And many Dish receivers allow for an OTA antenna input, and will integrate the local antenna channels into the menu interface. Just recently, CBS was dropped by Dish in the Carolinas when Raycom had a dispute concerning carriage of WBTV-3 from Charlotte. And Time Warner also dropped CBS in New York and LA. So it could happen here if an agreement is not reached. Another reason for using an antenna to receive local/regional channels, in addition to cable/satellite for the premium channels. With an antenna, you can receive 2 CBS channels, including WSPA-7 and WBTV-3 from Charlotte, as well as all other local channels and several from Charlotte. Prepare now. DirecTV and Charter could be next.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM

817 posts, read 633,769 times
Another reason to kiss my cable bill away forever if I have to go to the trouble to switch back and forth. The minute they drop a major network I am done with them.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 21 days ago)

5,380 posts, read 9,425,757 times
We were in Myrtle Beach the last week of July and CBS wasn't being carried there at that time due to a similar "dispute". I believe they solved their issues in the last month; which seems to be the case with most of these disputes. In MB, it was the first time I'd actually been part of the blackout. And even there, we got a 2nd CBS station that wasn't on blackout. I don't understand TV in MB; maybe u do!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 PM

669 posts, read 741,205 times
Glad I am still with Charter.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
We were in Myrtle Beach the last week of July and CBS wasn't being carried there at that time due to a similar "dispute". I believe they solved their issues in the last month; which seems to be the case with most of these disputes. In MB, it was the first time I'd actually been part of the blackout. And even there, we got a 2nd CBS station that wasn't on blackout. I don't understand TV in MB; maybe u do!
Several markets used to be carried on cable in Myrtle Beach, including Florence, Columbia, Charleston, and Wilmington. So there may have been more than one choice. But most cable systems now only carry one market affiliate, because of having to pay these retransmission fees.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Glad I am still with Charter.
Yes for now. But next time a contract renewal comes up, any given station could be threatened to be dropped. Which is why an antenna is a good back up plan. You get all the local/regional channels, including some Charlotte. And better pic quality over the air. We have Charter cable/internet, and an antenna in the attic.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM

817 posts, read 633,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Several markets used to be carried on cable in Myrtle Beach, including Florence, Columbia, Charleston, and Wilmington. So there may have been more than one choice. But most cable systems now only carry one market affiliate, because of having to pay these retransmission fees.

I believe it has become much more simplified the last few years.
Myrtle Beach has their own NBC affiliate now WMBF (Myrtle Beach-Florence) whereas they used to pick up WIS from Columbia. I watch WMBF when I am there because their news seems to be primarily focused on MB. For the most part I believe they get CBS and ABC out of Florence. Florence-Myrtle Beach seems to be the TV market for the Big 3 stations newscasts. I believe the Florence CBS station is owned by Media General (same as WSPA). They even have the same theme music as WSPA on their news programs however Florence seemed to have a more updated version of the theme when I was there this summer.

Update: I looked up all three stations and all 3 WMBF(NBC) WPDE(ABC) and WBTW(CBS) have Myrtle Beach addresses for their studios. I guess MB growth has brought all 3 affiliates to the Strand.

Last edited by vistatiger; 09-25-2013 at 08:01 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM

99 posts, read 62,782 times
what comes on CBS that anybody wants to see? I wouldn't miss it.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 AM

641 posts, read 1,195,861 times
This stuff seems to go on all the time. Here in FL, Dish is in a similar feud with NBC. They put a crawler threatening to lose the station, an obvious form of extortion to get viewers to apply pressure to the provider. Both of our cable providers have had similar situations. I've never seen one actually go through with it, though.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 AM

337 posts, read 385,567 times
I tried an indoor antenna and it did not work. I cannot get WSPA using an antenna.

Wonder why CBS and their affiliates are trying to fleece the cable and satellite companies? I'm sort of glad Dish is taking a hard line with them. Its a ad based model right? Why do they want to try to get added fees from the cable and satellite companies? They should be paying THEM to carry their ad-laden programming.

CBS does have one of the better sets of programs, though. Amazing race, big bang, price is right, etc. I think we will watch it the next day on internet if we must. Won't miss their news or local programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area