Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 AM

31 posts, read 45,159 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Long Island, New York to upstate South Carolina in January. I will be down there the third week of October to look at apartment communities. If anyone has any opinions, good or bad either from themselves or friends and relatives please share. the places we will be looking at are:
535 Brookwood Simpsonville
Spring Creek Simpsonville
Jasmine Cove Simpsonville
The Lexington Place Simpsonville

The Paddock Club Greenville
Crestmont at Thornblade Greenville
Avana at Carolina Point Greenville
Waterside Greene Greenville
(formerly candleton village)
The Preserve at Woods Lake Greenville

Thornblade Park Greer

Lastly, and I know I have already asked a lot, if anyone knows of any other communities that will permit an 80 pound pit bull mix (major couch potato) please include that in your response. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Last edited by Poohbeardreamer; 10-02-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:11 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
I can't help you with the apartments, but as someone who used to live in Nassau County as well, I just wanted to welcome you to the Upstate! Hope it's not too big a culture shock for you!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 AM

206 posts, read 223,642 times
I stayed in Paddock Club a few years ago. It is decent but the living room in the 1 bedroom was a bit cramped, kind of an odd layout. You can probably get a pretty good deal on rent there due to all the new apartment complexes off Woodruff road as it is the oldest one on that road. The other con is it can be hard to get out of the apartment complex at certain times of the day as traffic can get backed up on Woodruff Rd.

All the rest of those places are pretty nice. I think SPring Creek and Jasmine Cove are older and maybe not quite as nice.

Beacon Ridge in Greenville up on a hill is pretty nice for an older one. Large floorplans and the best location in Greenville I think.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM

31 posts, read 45,159 times
First of all thank you both for such quick replies. I guess I should have mentioned I am looking for a 2bed/2bath apartment, and we can afford $900 - $1000, maybe slightly more if all or some utilities are included. I mentioned communities in Simpsonville, Greenville, and Greer, but if anyone knows of any other really nice communities please let me know.
@BigRedBeth .... What part of Nassau did you come from? Was it a major culture shock to you? I am super excited about moving to the upstate, however as being born and raised in East Meadow / Westbury (but east meadow schools) and buying my first home within 5 minutes of my childhood home I am a bit nervous as well. My other half was born and raised in Florida so he is not as concerned. he has only lived up north for the last 12 years. I see it says you are a real estate agent. Do you know any agents that work specifically with rental communities that may be able to help us out? Thank you in advance!
@Geoffrey .... Thank you for the info on The Paddock club. May I ask if there was a specific reason you left Paddock Club? Are you bin another apartment community? Do they allow dogs? I will definitely take your comments into consideration as I walk around all three places you mentioned. As far as Beacon Ridge is concerned I have already called them, and they have a 50pound weight limit on dogs. :-( I will also make it a point to check out the communities on main roads at different times of day so I can get a handle on traffic patterns in the area. I guess it is a good thing we will be there both on weekend days and nights as well as weekday days and nights.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM

48 posts, read 104,417 times
I moved here 5 years ago, from LI. I lived at Jasmine Cove my first year here, till I bought a home. It was new at that time, and I was the first resident to live in my unit. We loved it there. Everything was great, from the grounds to the staff. Also, the shopping near by was awesome. Pretty much everthing you need within a mile. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Poohbeardreamer- I lived in Old Bethpage, and am in Raleigh, NC right now, which is full of transplants. Greenville is as well, but my impressions are that it is more southern than Raleigh. To me, that is a positive. Although most of my friends prefer to associate with other Northerners, I love being around all different people, which is a good thing considering my profession! In all our visits to Greenville we have found the people warm and welcoming. Simpsonville, in particular, has a lot of transplants, so you should not feel at all like you don't fit in. It reminds me somewhat of Long Island.

I don't know of any realty companies that deal with apartment rentals, only house rentals. I do often recommend that people check out the website apartmentratings.com to get honest feedback.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 AM

206 posts, read 223,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbeardreamer View Post
@Geoffrey .... Thank you for the info on The Paddock club. May I ask if there was a specific reason you left Paddock Club? Are you bin another apartment community? Do they allow dogs? I will definitely take your comments into consideration as I walk around all three places you mentioned. As far as Beacon Ridge is concerned I have already called them, and they have a 50pound weight limit on dogs. :-( I will also make it a point to check out the communities on main roads at different times of day so I can get a handle on traffic patterns in the area. I guess it is a good thing we will be there both on weekend days and nights as well as weekday days and nights.
I wanted to leave Paddock Club to move to a new one off Pelham Road out in the Thornblade area....it looks like you are looking at two appartments near that one. I think it was called Tuscon Heights. However, I was laid off like a day after I signed the lease at that one and I ended up staying at Paddock Club for another 2 month until I found work up in the DC metro.

I thought the living room was a bit cramped at Paddock Club, and it has the vertical blinds and sliding glass door which I don't really care, I prefer a French door in my apartment as it gives it more of a condo feel. That was my main problem with it but it the rent was reasonable, only 600 dollars or so and it is probably more safe area than the ones near the Haywood / Pelham intersection. There are supposedly a lot of car breakins in that area and I think one car actually had the tires stolen off of it at Beacon Ridge. I never had any problem but I never leave anything in my car and I only drive a Honda Civic.

I can't remember if Paddock Club allows dogs but most apts in Greenville do but usually have breed restrictions.

I lived in Orchard Park apartments on Orchard Park road. I think it is called Rosement at Patewood now. You can probably get a decent rent there in the 600 dollar range. The apts are nothing special although they may have renovated them but you can't beat that location. You can walk over to the Stax restaurant and some other restaurants from there and it is close to the mall and 385 to go to downtown. I had a big dog, a Samoyed, when I lived at Orchard Park. She probably was 35-40 lbs, not sure. There is a big field behind the apartment complex which I liked b/c I could walk my dog out there.

Woodruff road is really only road you will have to deal with traffic so if you don't like traffic you should rule that out. I think most the places you listed are fine from traffic standpoint.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
We lived at Preserve at Woods Lake for 18 months. Loved the place, but was not comfortable in area. Moved back to LI after 18 months.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Another former Paddock Clubber here. As others said the living room felt a bit cramped, I think that was mainly due to how dark it was. The only outside light was from the patio, and with a a ground floor unit backing up to a hill made it pretty dark. But the rent was very good and staff when I lived there was on top of things.

I know someone who lives at Avana at Carolina Point. Apts are nice and you are close to the heart of everything on Woodruff Rd, but you can easily avoid the traffic by hopping on 85/385.

Another complex to consider is Walden Creek Apts, just down the road from Paddock Club. My BIL lives there and seem to like it well enough and I haven't heard any complaints. He is in 2nd year so he liked enough to renew.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,887 times
Avana, mentioned above, allows up to two dogs or cats; no weight limit is mentioned, though aggressive breeds (Pit Bull, Doberman, American Bull Dog, Rottweiler) are prohibited. (Information obtained from third-party web site, so YMMV). Most apartment-finder web sites allow you to enter search terms, such as "pet friendly," or just Google "greenville sc dog friendly apartments."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area