U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM

410 posts, read 609,329 times

Advertisements

I still continue to believe that until we have real healthcare reform, the problems brought up in this thread will continue to occur. Issues with people going straight to the emergency room without first visiting an afterhours clinic cause myriad problems for us all. I know a hospital can't refuse to treat but what if the MD360s of the world were set up right by the emergency room and signs were posted directing folks to these places provided that they were not in serious medical shape? But of course, I suppose this all makes sense and that is something we are sorely lacking in this nation. The problem is, and will be for the duration, can we ever have real healthcare reform? Probably not while healthcare lobbyists are treading the halls of the Capital.

I'm super lucky to be on the State Health Plan. We are seeing slight increases in our deductibles and premiums (roughly 1% in each category). I'm not currently paying a premium because my work picks up the cost of mine since it is only me on the plan. While my husband was on, we were paying $240/month with $350/deductible for each of us. I used to complain about the network of doctors included for the plan, but after hearing my parents' horror story of $1000 deductibles and rising costs because my stepdad's company passes on the costs of employee surgery onto everyone, I don't complain anymore. Similarly, my dad, stepmom, and little brother are covered by my dad's company and it's a pretty penny. $400/month+ a month I believe and quite a hassle to get more advanced procedures covered (i.e. my little brother had to go through a boat load of specialized genetic testing due to bouts of sudden paralysis).

I think in the end, those people who are unemployed, underemployed, or self employed will benefit from ACA. Time will tell whether the rest of us will bear the burden of this. I'm more of the mind that the government shouldn't be in the healthcare business than any of the other claptrap being reported by the "talking heads" (on both sides of the aisle. There's no way we'll be able to determine the effects of any of this in the short term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:20 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,562,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
I think in the end, those people who are unemployed, underemployed, or self employed will benefit from ACA.
Unemployed or underemployed i'll agree with.. Not self-employed. Self-employed will likely get no subsidies in addition to having much higher premiums (Admittedly, for 'better' coverage) plus they still have to pay both sides of the SS tax.

As far as footing the bill. Anyone who is getting a subsidy is having someone else foot the bill. Subsidies aren't free money.. Someone's paying for it.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,799,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Unemployed or underemployed i'll agree with.. Not self-employed. Self-employed will likely get no subsidies in addition to having much higher premiums (Admittedly, for 'better' coverage) plus they still have to pay both sides of the SS tax.
As self-employed, no subsidies, my premiums will go down. I'm waiting for the healthcare.gov makeover to get quotes before I make a final decision. But even outside the exchange, I'll end up in a much better plan for me for less.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,562,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
As self-employed, no subsidies, my premiums will go down. I'm waiting for the healthcare.gov makeover to get quotes before I make a final decision. But even outside the exchange, I'll end up in a much better plan for me for less.
I did the numbers for me.. I have in front of me one of the last bills for insurance I had for 1/15/12 to 4/15/12.. $457.32.. Approximately $150/mo and that was a $10k deductible

Best I could do on the exchanges was about $260/mo with the.. $6k deductible?

Seeing as I have never in my life hit a deductible on health insurance.. Even the last 2 years where i've had a $1000 deductible.. Haven't hit it.. Haven't even come close. In fact, I'll bet TOTAL that under $1000 was spent last year on health for me.. 4 doctors visits, let's say they're $150.. That's $600.. 12 times filling generic HBP medication.. Maybe $240 there.. Half it for what *I* paid out of pocket on the meds, $35 per co-pay.. Insurance company paid out $600 for me at most.. With the coverage at work, i'll bet they paid in well over $5k for my insurance last year..

I know.. That's how it works.. "There if you need it" and all.. You all are welcome for me paying for your health. lol. Maybe one day i'll recoup some..

Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 PM

6,155 posts, read 16,958,250 times
I finally got through the process, enrolled, and paid my premium which is under $100 after an almost $250 credit. When we had insurance in this state, our last premium was almost $900 which included 1 adult and 2 children, and they had the nerve to disallow some serious conditions I've had in the past and that I may have in the future. I'd say my premium is considerably less than it had previously been. Without that credit though, I'd still be uninsured.

I can actually afford to go to the doctor now for only $15/copay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area