Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

Yea, definitely a mixed bag of folks from all over moving to GVL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM

I see GVL area exploding in growth and not stopping for a while... prices in FL are going UP again, and with low taxes, a good economy and fortune 500 companies continually moving down there and bringing jobs, I think GVL has a lot of growth ahead.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I see GVL area exploding in growth and not stopping for a while... prices in FL are going UP again, and with low taxes, a good economy and fortune 500 companies continually moving down there and bringing jobs, I think GVL has a lot of growth ahead.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Beckycat: Greenville is one of the only places I'd wanna go to if I had to leave FL. Not too big, not too small. Good economy. Low cost of living. 4 seasons but not too cold.

Only downsides: crime somewhat high, pay seems low, schools are average (overall), too far from beach (for me anyway), could be warmer in the winter.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Beckycat: Greenville is one of the only places I'd wanna go to if I had to leave FL. Not too big, not too small. Good economy. Low cost of living. 4 seasons but not too cold.

Only downsides: crime somewhat high, pay seems low, schools are average (overall), too far from beach (for me anyway), could be warmer in the winter.

I don't notice the crime. It is far from the beach but there are several lakes closeby. I like that it has seasons and so far it's been pretty mild. I have to agree on the size. It's perfect for us and offers almost anything we could want or need. It really is in a good location. Many places are a days drive from here.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
There seems to be a LOT of crime lately. There was a murder a day for a while there, but they are often people that know each other. Domestic violence is particularly high. That, and the usual drug deals gone bad that happen everywhere. Maybe it seems like a lot of violent crime because the TV stations report on such a large area. I'm not worried about it, because my family gets along fine (so far), and I don't associate with drug dealers.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM

GVL reports in a large area, but it's still not that many ppl.

Beckycat, GVL has a somewhat high crime index and scores poorly on neighborhoodscout.com. Not awful, just something that doesn't get brought up often, it seems. Spartanburg is worse - it's got some REALLY bad areas - worse than Pine Hills/Parramore in Orlando.

Ex: a town like Anderson SC is almost identical in population and land area/sq miles... Anderson chances of being a victim of a violent crime is like 3x that of what Oviedo is. SC just ranks poorly in crime (but not as bad as Arizona, Tennessee or Louisiana).

Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 PM

304 posts, read 266,359 times
The crime in Greenville is mostly self contained in the west side of town which is easy to avoid.

Anderson is kind of like two completely different towns...one is an old mill town with a high crime, the north side around the hospital is real affluent and safe.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:44 AM

22 posts, read 36,998 times
Interesting thread. My family is considering a move from upstate NY to upstate SC next summer. Part of the reason that I am looking to move is that I would like my kids to attend a Christian school and would also like to be a part of an active, vibrant, church community. I am always amazed at peoples' attitudes regarding religion. I try to live a life where you just believe and worship (or not) as you see fit and you allow others to do the same. If someone asks you to join a church...so what? That is offensive? If someone believes differently than you do, and you are secure in your own beliefs (or non-belief), so what? I honestly don't get it. That being said, for me, a Christ centered life works. Most of my friends in NY do not attend church and are on the opposite side of me politically, too. I am hoping to meet friends through my kids' (3) school and volunteering at church. Coming down in February to tour a school and the area and to see if Greenville would be a good fit.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham3 View Post
The crime in Greenville is mostly self contained in the west side of town which is easy to avoid.

Anderson is kind of like two completely different towns...one is an old mill town with a high crime, the north side around the hospital is real affluent and safe.
Affluent? I assume the retirees from other places with money? The median income for a family (those working) is super low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area