Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 AM

266 posts, read 1,023,484 times

Advertisements

Does anyone from the area have an opinion on the nicer developments in Simpsonville. I see alot of new ones going up off Woodruff rd. On our recent visit seeing several different developments, we liked the ones that were more wooded than the ones that had house after house with no trees.

Just wanted to see if anyone that lives there had some thoughts on a few I could look into, because my head is spinning from all the brochures and different packets from the builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 AM

76 posts, read 294,722 times
Hi Flmomof2,
Can you tell me what Simpsonville is like? How big is it? We have been kind of looking in other areas because it seems like Simpsonville is growing pretty quickly. I am curious to know what you think of the area. thanks.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 AM

We really liked Simpsonville, from what we saw (we missed Woodruff Rd ). I liked that it had alot of shopping and dining, and loved the look of the new homes being built. Some of the developments we looked at were very cozy...Kneely farms being one of them. Loved all the trees and the landscaping.

Downtown Greenville is about 15 min up the rd and we absolutely fell in love with it. It had that Boston feel to it. With the horse drawn carriage rides, the small shops, restaurants and parks. My husband also liked that the baseball team was the minor league Red Sox

Everyone we met or ran into was so friendly and even the younger people were very polite.

One thing that is holdin us back in choosing Simpsonville over Fort Mill is that my husband is in the technology field and all the job searches we look at have no jobs in his field. Right now he works from home but the "what if he gets laid off" factor is just steering us toward Ft Mill where the jobs in Charlotte are easier to come by.

Just my opinion!

Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM

76 posts, read 294,722 times
Thanks for the info, Flmomof2. My husband is in the computer field and we are struggling with the job thing, too. Can I ask where your husband has been looking for jobs? What websites,newspapers, etc.. We haven't seen much in the way of network admin. jobs and that is troubling to us as well. I went to college in Rock Hill, SC (near Charlotte) and we were looking for a smaller city to live near. That is why we are considering the G'ville area.
Simpsonville does sound nice. Just hoping the job search turns up something!
Thanks again for the info.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM

We have just been looking on the most popular job searches (I don't believe I can post them because of advertising). When we visited the area we picked up a few papers and found next to nothing.

I really never thought there wouldn't be any technology jobs but someone else had posted that after 2 years they could not find a job in this field either.

It is very dissappointing to us since we really loved the area and thought it would be a great place to raise our kids. It has a zoo, water park, parks, and good schools. Not sure what we will do, because one builder sent me a home I fell in love with there.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,003,673 times
Are you looking for new or existing neighborhoods? What size home are you looking for? What type of amenities do you want? Do you want a basement? You can basically find almost anything in the Simpsonville area. Existing neighborhoods will have more trees, and usually larger lots. Also, Simpsonville covers a large area. The area by Woodruff Road is very different than around Neely Farms. If you like trees and space, I would suggest looking towards Fountain Inn or southwest of 385.

As for the job issue, we just went through this. It was easier to find a (computer) job here than Charlotte or Raleigh. We were told that 4,000 people move to Charlotte every day, so most companies don't want to waste their time with people from out of the area. Post your resume on the appropriate IT boards.

jac

Old 10-20-2006, 12:21 PM

Default jac

You say you just went through the job search...Did you find a job? (If so Congrats!) Just curious how long it took.

As for our home search, we would prefer new, basement isn't a big deal as we don't have one here, we have been looking at Ryan Homes which seem to have a lot of wooded cul de sac lots. We didn't see Woodruff Rd when we went down there (I assumed it was in Woodruff) so we may be taking another trip up to take a look.

Is it very congested and are there nice developments off of there? We are also trying to contact the school in Simpsonville to find out if they offer Speech Therapy (my daughter has a clarity issue.)

Thanks for all your help

Old 10-20-2006, 03:20 PM
jac

We started the job search in March, looking at various locations in the Southeast. My husband started his new job at the end of May.

For new homes with some trees, you will want to look at Ryan and the smaller, local builders. Southbrook and Carolina Oaks are both worth looking at in the Simpsonville area. I am sure there are others that would interest you. These are just the two that come to mind. Ryan is also building off of Woodruff Road, but the lots are smaller. I, personally, find Woodruff Road to be quite congested. Did you stop at Southbrook during your visit?

For the schools, you will want to contact the Greenville County School Department. I can think of at least 8 elementary schools that children in Simpsonville attend. We have been very pleased with the schools so far.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 AM

Is Southbrook a community? I can't say I remember that name. As for land we aren't looking for a large lot, a 1/4 maybe a little more. Here in FL the lots aren't very big and I think mosts of the newer developments anywhere are the same.

I definitely think we will have to make the trip again to see Woodruff Rd area...not sure how we could have missed it.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
jac

Southbrook is a Ryan home community off of Fairview Road. Wooded lots, about 1/2 acre or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area