Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM

104 posts, read 233,646 times

Advertisements

Ugh....auto correct is great sometimes and not others. I have looked at Roku...not Romulus. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM

511 posts, read 1,517,272 times
Please share the type of antenna you have in the attic. My husband only turns on the. TV for noise purposes most of the time & rarely watches sports. I would so love to get rid of the bill. Still need the Internet but could care less about tv.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM

723 posts, read 1,141,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgriss View Post
Please share the type of antenna you have in the attic. My husband only turns on the. TV for noise purposes most of the time & rarely watches sports. I would so love to get rid of the bill. Still need the Internet but could care less about tv.
I have a large high-gain yagi. I bought it over 10 years ago as a backup for when my satellite signal went out in bad weather, then later used it when Charter dropped out, which hasn't happened much in recent years. Anyway, it was so long ago that I don't recall the brand, or even where I bought it, but it's probably an Antennacraft from Radio Shack, similar to the current model HD1200.

Since my attic isn't very large, I can't rotate the antenna, and I had only two choices for orientation: N-S or S-N. I have it pointed north. I also added an amplifier.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,915,442 times
I have wondered if all those people that are lined up a Charter lately to get all those boxes will be lined up to turn them in when they have to start paying for them.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,253,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgriss View Post
Antennacraft HBU-22 or HBU-33 is a good HiVHF/UHF antenna for this market. Sold at RadioShack, Solid Signal, or Amazon. Or the smaller Clearstream 2-V from Walmart or Best Buy. Order from Antennas Direct and they may still be offering a WSPA discount because of the Dish Network dispute. And add a good UHF antenna such as a 91XG or 43XG and you can receive Charlotte channels as well. And you may need a signal booster. The Winegard LNA-200 is a good moderate gain preamp.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 PM

99 posts, read 167,004 times
I got a crappy HD antenna about 4 years ago from walmart. I've been getting amazing, uncompressed HD OTA for free. Paying for cable is for suckers.

What's going to suck is when Charter starts limiting our bandwidth so we CAN'T stream cable shows.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 AM

745 posts, read 2,224,267 times
We're OTA, but not really well set up yet. ABC is on-and-off, but the rest come in fine. We'll probably never go cable; it's just not in the budget, and we find we don't miss it all that much. I wish I could get sports, though. In the middle of college football country, in the middle of the season, you could get soccer, truck racing, and old sit-com reruns last Saturday.

I've been irritated with the whole switch to digital ever since it went into effect. In the old days, you could get more channels, even if it meant a snowy picture. Now, you get a perfect picture- or nothing. I'm convinced that the cable/dish industry was behind the whole thing. Can radio be far behind?

The one thing we haven't resolved is internet access. We're currently on an air card, which isn't all that cheap considering the 5 gig limit per month. It's fine for most things, but forget streaming shows or movies. I need to get a library card.....

Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,633,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We're OTA, but not really well set up yet. ABC is on-and-off, but the rest come in fine. We'll probably never go cable; it's just not in the budget, and we find we don't miss it all that much. I wish I could get sports, though. In the middle of college football country, in the middle of the season, you could get soccer, truck racing, and old sit-com reruns last Saturday.

I've been irritated with the whole switch to digital ever since it went into effect. In the old days, you could get more channels, even if it meant a snowy picture. Now, you get a perfect picture- or nothing. I'm convinced that the cable/dish industry was behind the whole thing. Can radio be far behind?

The one thing we haven't resolved is internet access. We're currently on an air card, which isn't all that cheap considering the 5 gig limit per month. It's fine for most things, but forget streaming shows or movies. I need to get a library card.....
Not sure if you are in a contract, but Millenicom has a no contract plan for $69 a month that's through Verizon, and gets you 20 GB a month.

The "Hotspot Plan" is the Verizon one.

The "Unlimited Plan" is through Sprint, and is actually 50 GB per month. If Sprint's coverage is decent where you are, it might be a good plan.

Millenicom

Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 AM

145 posts, read 173,016 times
We're switching to Directv this weekend. It took Charter 10 months to get a cablecard working in our home theater PC, and they refused to take the charge off while it wasn't working, saying that the card was in our possession, so we had to pay. It's only $20, but still... Then we got a "free" digital box for the switch that they somehow decided to charge us for for 1/2 a month before they agreed to take the charge off. Add to that that we were charged while we were waiting for the box in the mail, which took 3 weeks to get to us. Then, we followed each step to hook it up, and it hasn't worked. It just won't show any channels. They said someone could come out and help us, but I told them no thanks. It's just sitting there until I take it back once Directv is installed.

The downside is, they won't give us a discount if we drop to internet only, they want to charge us $50 a month. So we're going to go without internet for a month and sign up under a new customer promo. Unfortunately, there is literally no other internet available at our house, so Charter is our only option.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 AM

9,362 posts, read 9,662,180 times
DirecTV is offering a $200 Visa card if you switch before the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area