Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:03 PM

304 posts, read 266,448 times

Advertisements

i love tacky signage myself. if you don't like signs, go to a national park. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 07:11 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,882 times
You can complain, but good luck. We were told that they did not have enough people to enforce it. We live in Pickens County & we have tried. The subdivision HOA gets better results with their rules.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM

278 posts, read 308,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Bo View Post
I'm relatively new to Greenville (moved here in August). I'm really enjoying the area so far but what is the story with the excessive signage? There must be some stark differences in the zoning for downtown versus Greenville County because as soon as you leave the city limits, it's a visual assault with lawn signs, flapping signs, 20 foot dancing men inflatables, etc.

My professional background is marketing, and I understand that the business are trying to drive foot traffic, but has there ever been an attempt to reign it in? As an example, new pub opened up in a shopping center near my daughter's school. When I went to pick her up the other day, there must have been 8 of those lawn signs in a row promoting the place.

I found the City of Greenville's sign zoning here which indicates a permit is required for nearly all commercial signs: Signage Does anyone know where I would find the equivalent sign zoning for the county?

I know there are many more pressing issues out there, but it's a quality of life thing that seems feasible to address. Do you agree/disagree? Has there ever been any public debate about this topic?
Because..how can you look away from an inflatable twenty foot man!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 PM

278 posts, read 308,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
Most of the "sign waivers" (folks holding signs at corners) are just as ridiculous but even more annoying.
Aw. I love those people. Theyre working for money in a kind of embarassing job and have to stay outside regardless of the weather. Today I saw one dressed like Waldo from Wheres Waldo dancing and going all out. Pretty awesome. I couldnt read the sign t hough, cuz it was black letters on a dark red background. I always feel happy that people who need a little extra cash to get them by have access to those type of jobs. It doesnt bother me at all. In fact in breaks up the monatany while running errands!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
One thing I do like about the nicer Atlanta area suburbs, is how tightly they control signage. All of the signs, even fast food places look great.
I have noticed that as well in upscale Atlanta suburbs like Johns Creek and Alpharetta. They have done a great job with this.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
It's one of the reasons I've always thought greenville looks so dumpy.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 PM

557 posts, read 864,925 times
Illegal Signage
Listed below are the sign requirements:
Permits are required for all signage;
Signs are not permitted to be installed in the right-of-way or on utility poles;
Signs offering goods, services, or products may not be located off premises of the business

Source County of Greenville, SC

Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
It's one of the reasons I've always thought greenville looks so dumpy.
The city of Greenville adopted a sign ordinance in 2010 - there is a significant difference in the appearance of all commerical signs when crossing into the city limits - the county of Greenville (as well as most of the Upstate) looks dumpy. This is one of the reasons why I choose to live within the city limits - and, yes, it does remind of Johns Creek/Alpharetta.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 PM

60 posts, read 95,272 times
do not try calling the county sheriff (even the non emergency line). They will dismiss your complaint with some "homespun wisdom" like "are they hurtin' anybody?"

Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 PM

374 posts, read 834,295 times
My favorite are the realtor signs with the glamour shot and the ol' so heartwarming signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area