Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 PM

156 posts, read 226,121 times

Advertisements

I'm relatively new to Greenville (moved here in August). I'm really enjoying the area so far but what is the story with the excessive signage? There must be some stark differences in the zoning for downtown versus Greenville County because as soon as you leave the city limits, it's a visual assault with lawn signs, flapping signs, 20 foot dancing men inflatables, etc.

My professional background is marketing, and I understand that the business are trying to drive foot traffic, but has there ever been an attempt to reign it in? As an example, new pub opened up in a shopping center near my daughter's school. When I went to pick her up the other day, there must have been 8 of those lawn signs in a row promoting the place.

I found the City of Greenville's sign zoning here which indicates a permit is required for nearly all commercial signs: Signage Does anyone know where I would find the equivalent sign zoning for the county?

I know there are many more pressing issues out there, but it's a quality of life thing that seems feasible to address. Do you agree/disagree? Has there ever been any public debate about this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,822,658 times
Honestly the thought that there were too many signs has never crossed my mind before.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 AM

154 posts, read 623,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Bo View Post
I'm relatively new to Greenville (moved here in August). I'm really enjoying the area so far but what is the story with the excessive signage?
We moved here from Maryland about 5 years ago and YES I agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Honestly the thought that there were too many signs has never crossed my mind before.
Maybe have to be from someplace else that regulates signage to notice what a visual assault it can be....

Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 AM

11,690 posts, read 24,689,121 times
It's illegal in Greenville County to have those new subdivision signs out unless it's on the weekends.

5,893 posts, read 12,776,020 times
Yes, I have noticed that. After a while, I just began ignoring them, which is the opposite of what they were erected for in the first place. LOL

17 posts, read 45,084 times
Most of the "sign waivers" (folks holding signs at corners) are just as ridiculous but even more annoying.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,848,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
Most of the "sign waivers" (folks holding signs at corners) are just as ridiculous but even more annoying.
Yes but it's s job.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 AM

11,690 posts, read 24,689,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes but it's s job.
I'd rather be a homeless person then do that job.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 AM

180 posts, read 340,158 times
The county should make all businesses lower their signs to ground floor to make a more urban/residential look.I think there should be trees and bushes planted along woodruff road, and other roads, to make it look more inviting as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 AM

672 posts, read 1,413,092 times
One thing I do like about the nicer Atlanta area suburbs, is how tightly they control signage. All of the signs, even fast food places look great. I myself didn't really notice a signage issue around here, but like others may have said, I'll surely be looking for it and noticing now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area