U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 PM

669 posts, read 741,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Exactly. The upstate is lucky to have one Trader Joes and one Whole Foods. In fact there are a ton of Greenville area residents that haven't yet so much as stepped FOOT in Whole Foods! Their management thinks they put the store in Greenville 6 years too soon. I've taken people from my neighborhood there who have lived here for decades to see it for the first time! I couldn't BELIEVE it.

I guess most people around here don't care about food quality or whether the food is loaded with GMOs, they are happy with their preservatives and chemicals in the food provided in your average grocery store as long as it is cheap and tastes good. It is really sad.
It's the location. A lot more folks, including me, would go there if it were not on Woodruff Road. I live near Paris Mtn. State Park. It's not worth the hassle and long drive. It is easier to get to The Fresh Market in Hendersonville than Whole Foods on Woodruff Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM

8,740 posts, read 12,334,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop View Post
Why don't you worry about what you eat and let other adults do the same?
Because when adults who eat this fatty food have to go to the hospital for their heart problems and can't afford to pay the medical bills, the taxpayers get to pick up the tab.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM

271 posts, read 304,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
It's the location. A lot more folks, including me, would go there if it were not on Woodruff Road. I live near Paris Mtn. State Park. It's not worth the hassle and long drive. It is easier to get to The Fresh Market in Hendersonville than Whole Foods on Woodruff Road.
The Fresh Market in Greenville on Antrim Drive would be much more convenient than driving to Hendersonville. However, I don't think The Fresh Market and Whole Foods are similar enough to compare. I don't go to WF's very often, but one of the big reasons I go to WF's is for their specialty health and beauty aids that are all natural. The main reason I go to TFM is for either their baked goods or cheese straws to take to parties or for their freeze-dried vegetables. Except for Costco and Regal Cinemas I avoid Woodruff Rd like the plague. I occasionally go to TJ's and Target, but not that often. If I go to a movie on a weekend, I usually go to Cherrydale.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM

703 posts, read 520,857 times
If Trader Joe's doesn't build at Stone and Main, I think the empty CVS on Wade Hampton at the light at Chick Springs would be convenient.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM

350 posts, read 212,118 times
Local residents and associations, including the North Main Community Association, are meeting tonight to discuss the need for a grocery store to replace the former Bi-Lo, according to a report on WYFF.com. The meeting is not being sponsored by the city but is "being hosted by residents with a vested in the future of the site."

As reported by WYFF News 4, an email sent to members of the North Main Community Association stated: "According to (Greenville City Councilwoman) Amy Ryberg Doyle, the city is actively pursuing grocers for several locations downtown. This meeting will be to discuss options and to brainstorm possibilities. There will be several representatives from the city at this meeting. It is open to anyone who has an interest in what happens to this property."

The meeting is being held at The Haro Group of Keller Williams, 314 Lloyd Street in Greenville, at 7 p.m. The public is invited to attend.

Plans for empty North Main BI-LO to be discussed | Greenville News - WYFF Home

Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 PM

818 posts, read 633,769 times
What grocer do they think they can lure to that site?. Its a small store. Ingles doesn't do stores that small and Publix already has a DT store. Fresh Market has a store a few miles away. The grocery business is VERY competitive and chains need certain size stores to do the volume to stay in business. Independents are almost out. Waste of time IMO

Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 PM

2,908 posts, read 1,934,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
What grocer do they think they can lure to that site?. Its a small store. Ingles doesn't do stores that small and Publix already has a DT store. Fresh Market has a store a few miles away. The grocery business is VERY competitive and chains need certain size stores to do the volume to stay in business. Independents are almost out. Waste of time IMO
There is no doubt a supermarket is needed in the North Main Street/Stone Avenue area. In its existing form, 505 North Main Street does not work.

Is there any site downtown that could accommodate an 80,000 square feet Ingle's with a parking deck above it?

How about a Walmart Neighborhood Market?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM

103 posts, read 110,844 times
Anyone attend the neighborhood meeting last night?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM

92 posts, read 11,440 times
i used to work near there and i always heard that was an unsafe place to shop. might be a reason why Bi-Lo shut it down

Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 AM

4,656 posts, read 4,556,388 times
I heard this location will become a hotel. Is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area