Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 PM

632 posts, read 741,814 times

Advertisements

VolstuckinNC
You've fallen behind the times. Dolly Parton recently bought some of the Big Star, Piggly Wiggly and Harris Teeter stores. She said she is used to supporting large ventures, as they get off the ground. The new company will be called Big Wiggly... um... never mind.

Cedge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,260,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kroger would be a nice addition to Greenville and upstate South Carolina. I doubt their larger stores including Kroger Marketplace can easily locate here. Acquiring an existing chain in the area would help them get market share quickly.
I'm sure we will eventually see Kroger enter this market. The best fit for them to buy in the area would be Ingles - their newer stores actually fit the Kroger format fairly well. Problem there is I think Ingles is privately owned and I doubt they want to sell. Ingles is probably my favorite among the chains that serve this market - I really like the format of some of their newer stores. The newer stores seem to me to be a good compromise between decent prices and quality. Publix has some really nice stores but they are pretty pricey on a lot of items. I'm not a big fan of the quality or service at Walmart but I have to admit they do have some great prices on a lot of items. Bi-Lo and Food Lion are my least favorite chains in this area - they don't seem to have a winning formula on price, service, or quality.

Bi-Lo would probably love to sell but I don't see most of their stores being easy to convert into a Kroger format. Ten years ago most Bi-Lo stores had seen recent remodels but they seem to have tried to save money since then by not investing much in their stores. Kroger might be better off razing some of the abandoned Winn-Dixie and Bloom locations that are currently sitting empty and starting without the baggage associated with Bi-Lo. If they wait 5-10 years, Bi-Lo might be out of business, giving them the opportunity to selectively pick up some of their locations for cheap.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 AM

Bi-lo holdings has been on a buying spree that began in 2011, with the purchase of the Winn Dixie chain. Bi-lo headquarters relocated to Jacksonville Fl as a result of this merger. Bi-lo then used Winn Dixie to purchase about 150 Sweetbay, Harvey's and Reid's" stores in early 2014. Some minor store closures were required to meet the demands of the FTC, but Bi-lo now has the means to expand and compete in markets previously closed to them. Supermarket chains have long had somewhat incestuous relationships. Fastest growth has always been achieved by buying smaller chains or swapping territory among the larger companies. Such "swaps" or "trades" are often the cause for mass store closures in a given zone.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 AM

21,004 posts, read 27,016,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I'm sure we will eventually see Kroger enter this market. The best fit for them to buy in the area would be Ingles - their newer stores actually fit the Kroger format fairly well. Problem there is I think Ingles is privately owned and I doubt they want to sell. Ingles is probably my favorite among the chains that serve this market - I really like the format of some of their newer stores. The newer stores seem to me to be a good compromise between decent prices and quality. Publix has some really nice stores but they are pretty pricey on a lot of items. I'm not a big fan of the quality or service at Walmart but I have to admit they do have some great prices on a lot of items. Bi-Lo and Food Lion are my least favorite chains in this area - they don't seem to have a winning formula on price, service, or quality.

Bi-Lo would probably love to sell but I don't see most of their stores being easy to convert into a Kroger format. Ten years ago most Bi-Lo stores had seen recent remodels but they seem to have tried to save money since then by not investing much in their stores. Kroger might be better off razing some of the abandoned Winn-Dixie and Bloom locations that are currently sitting empty and starting without the baggage associated with Bi-Lo. If they wait 5-10 years, Bi-Lo might be out of business, giving them the opportunity to selectively pick up some of their locations for cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Bi-lo holdings has been on a buying spree that began in 2011, with the purchase of the Winn Dixie chain. Bi-lo headquarters relocated to Jacksonville Fl as a result of this merger. Bi-lo then used Winn Dixie to purchase about 150 Sweetbay, Harvey's and Reid's" stores in early 2014. Some minor store closures were required to meet the demands of the FTC, but Bi-lo now has the means to expand and compete in markets previously closed to them. Supermarket chains have long had somewhat incestuous relationships. Fastest growth has always been achieved by buying smaller chains or swapping territory among the larger companies. Such "swaps" or "trades" are often the cause for mass store closures in a given zone.
Keep in mind Bi-Lo entered bankruptcy in 2009. (Winn Dixie went bankrupt in 2005.) The only way to get out of bankruptcy quickly to acquire Winn Dixie, Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay had to be a lot of funds coming in through Lone Star Funds, the parent company of Bi-Lo Holdings. If Lone Star Funds is about to recoup expenses through creditors and acquisitions, it will need to raise funds by going public with an IPO as Southeast Grocers or selling the entire chain to a competitor, one not likely in the market.

I think Kroger could acquire Ingle's, but you would see several store closures in Knoxville, Tennessee and in Georgia where they overlap quite a bit.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:56 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,586,838 times
Korgers would be nice have in is area a new Ingles would be great near the INState here In Thr UPState of SC

Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,258,079 times
If Kroger enters the Upstate I would prefer it to be in the form of Harris Teeter.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:22 PM

If Bob the 2nd is anything like his old man, the chances of a romance between Ingles and Kroger is not very likely. Bob #1 was, to put it mildly, an independent cuss who wasn't easily pushed. Negotiating with Bob Sr. was always a fair, but hard fought give and take experience. He could wring every advantage from a deal, but he was a man of true integrity and respect. I couldn't say that about all of the grocery chain owners or corporate management teams I had dealings with. Bob #2 earned his chops under his dad's steady hands.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,586,838 times
A Harris Teeter would nice for ths area

Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,016,248 times
Though Ingle's Markets can attract suitors, the Ingle family is not going to sell out. The chain has a plan in place to grow. Expanding the distribution center in Black Mountain, North Carolina was the first step. Ingle's Markets already has two store sites in North Carolina, Boger City and Enka specifically, for new additional stores. I will not be surprised to see them ready to add stores again.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:16 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,260,587 times
I would love to see Ingles remain independent. I will be happy to see my local store in Powdersville get updated, hopefully soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area