Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,401,876 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know what is going around in the region. Of course, there is the flu this time of year. Seems like I have talked to more people than usual who have illnesses in the household. There is some bug that is causing bronchitis and fever. Then there's the stomach thing. Kids are getting ready to go back to school and I am keeping my fingers crossed...
What's going around among you and your acquaintances and friends? Just curious.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 AM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
Hi, I work in healthcare out in the field and I have seen a lot of cold and flu and a handful of pneumonia cases. The ERs and urgent care centers have been right busy as well with these cases. I went into one of the urgent care centers recently and in the waiting area sat about thirty people, all wearing a mask and all sick with the same symptoms.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM

800 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Wash your hands and drink lots of water. We have a sick house here with 2 little kids, no fun.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I wouldn't drink the water unless it is filtered. It has fluoride in it which, as it says on any tube of toothpaste with fluoride in it, you are supposed to call the Poison Control center if you swallow it.

To prevent getting sick or getting the flu, take your anti-oxidants and your oregano oil or oregano extract. Certainly avoid the flu shot like the plague....unless you want to get sick. During the years where they run out of the vaccine there are fewer cases of the flu. It generally isn't very effective except if you listen to those selling it. Things to Consider Before Getting the Flu Vaccine

Last edited by emilybh; 01-04-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
No sickies here! Wash your hands when you come in from shopping or otherwise being out in public. I never touch a grocery cart or a gas pump without doing so as soon as I get home.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I know at least a few people suffering from a sinus/respiratory infection accompanied by cold and flu-like symptoms. The germs are spreading like a wildfire and seem highly contagious, although it does not affect everyone it contacts yet - myself included. I cannot explain why some healthy individuals have been affected while others have not, but I recommend a steady regimen of vitamins and adequate rest in addition to clean hands.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:00 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Not to change the subject but if you look on the bright side of getting a cold anyway, you could embrace it. At least let it run its course because you are getting rid of mucous.

I know a naturopathic doctor, author and former biochemist, Dr Robert Morse, with lots of YouTube videos, in Florida that has said that people wanting to get rid of mucous and cysts and tumors and hardened plaque clogging their lymphatic system/immune system should go "hug someone with cold".

Among other things he advocates eating a clean clean raw food mostly fruit diet that creates an alkaline body so your lymphatic system can loosen and break down and get rid of all that junk 95 percent or more of us living in the modern western world have in our bodies.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
To emilybh, I had no choice re getting a flu shot since I volunteer for an office that's part of the Bon Secours St. Francis Healthcare System. And I felt like I should anyway, since I have a heart problem.

Having said that, I did get sick, starting with the usual precursor of a scratchy throat the night before New Year's Eve. I slept the better part of the next 2-3 days when I wasn't blowing my nose. Still pretty miserable on Day 5 but feel like I started turning a corner yesterday.

When I mentioned on Facebook that I was sick, right away everyone is telling me to go see a doctor. That is just ridiculous. Even a common cold can last anywhere from 7 to 10 days. If a horrible cough continues, the color of the phlegm changes or my ears start hurting, I would then see a doctor. But to run to a doctor and request antibiotics just seems silly.

I never felt like I had the flu, and I don't feel like this is going to turn into pneumonia or anything, so I'm going to give it a few more days and see what happens.

I wrote in my gratitude journal this morning that I was grateful for getting sick because:

1) It helped me better appreciate how good being well feels
2) It allowed me to get lots of good sleep and rest after a busy holiday season
3) It's given some down time to reassess my priorities and think about some of the changes I want to make in 2014 in terms of taking better care of myself
4) It gives me a great excuse not to go out in the cold

The only hard part is that being really sick when you live alone kind of sucks.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:36 PM

607 posts, read 1,401,876 times
Thanks all!
Jinxed myself. DH just left Minute Clinic with a diagnosis of Strep throat. Aurgh!
Had forgotten about the benefits of Oregano oil. I do take other supplements with antiviral and antibacterial properties.
Just glad it's not the flu. We choose not to vax for that at our house too.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I spent the 22nd to the 24th at Great Wolf Lodge in Concord with the kids.. On the way back Tuesday(the 24th), I could tell something wasn't right.. But wasn't sure what it was. Thought I might just have a migraine coming on after 3 days of too much fun.

By that night, throat was sore.. Christmas day, wasn't any worse, not alot better. Thursday.. It got alot worse.. Friday about the same.. Saturday it got alot worse again.. That's when I tapped out and went to a doc-in-a-box. I thought it was either the flu or a reaction to the flu shot, which I had gotten about a week earlier. They took a look and said even if it was the flu, I had a double dose of something.. It wasn't JUST the flu. They did a flu test, no flu at all.. So there was a heavy course of Amoxillin 850mg and a butt full of steroids (Literally.. Got a shot of steroids in a butt cheek) along with follow-up course of steroids. Bad part was the my grandmother went into the hospital on Christmas Night, and I was too sick to go in and see her.. Just felt well enough that I wouldn't transmit anything to see her at the nursing home they put her in to recover yesterday.

The odd thing.. I've had bad colds before, been stuffed up.. This is the first cold where I was moving air through my head, but I could not smell ANYTHING. I totally lost my sense of smell. I get it when you can't breathe through your nose, but.. The steroids cleared my head up pretty good, and I still couldn't smell anything. I stuck my nose in a canister of kerosene (Ok, perhaps not the smartest thing) and couldn't smell it. Boss at work, I was telling her about it in the kitchen area, she pulled out a bottle of vinegar.. I could just BARELY tell it was there. Food sucks when you can't smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area