U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 03:59 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,458,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Perfectly said Greenville. I grew up in Spartanburg and Greenville always looked like the promised land to us over there. Better shopping, more glamour. Since then I've lived in Charleston, Atlanta, and Columbia. Each has its positives and negatives (OK, I could only find negatives in Columbia), as does Greenville.
Be realistic with your post, this is garbage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 PM

9,189 posts, read 11,840,338 times
I'd say anyone who could find only negatives in any city is a highly negative person, at least about what they choose to be negative about.

These two links give some perspective on the religion thing.

Which Are The Most, And Least, 'Bible-Minded' Cities In The U.S.? : The Two-Way : NPR

The Most and Least Bible-Minded Cities in America | American Bible Society

Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 AM

8,965 posts, read 4,631,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Correct their impression? What? how do you correct someone's opinion?

To not mislead others? Most of this forum is a misrepresentation of Greenville, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, the OP's first impressions were very similar to my first impressions, and similar to my current impressions over 5 years later.

There is a lot of Christian radio here, compared to most any other place. The lower end of the FM dial is mainly Christian radio.

There is a lot of poverty here.

The area is not very appealing, visually. Lots of junky and often abandoned buildings, too many power lines, too many signs, too many billboards, litter, tons and tons of older red brick homes in disrepair, etc…

I actually alter the way I get around the area to avoid all the ugly parts, which is no easy task.

I've spent over 5 years straight here, and could only disagree with one of the OP's impressions - the panhandling.

Your post is just another example of how defensive people here get. There's no need to "correct" other people's opinions. Not only did the OP mean to help, and this may be hard for some to imagine, but their post IS helpful.
I like and defend Greenville, but I agree with many things you say (above). Other than downtown Greenville, I too was not impressed with the overall appearance of GVL, especially compared to where I am now (no offense). I think the hills and partial mountain views are awesome, but aside from that and downtown, I saw a lot of old abandoned homes, empty older building, a lot of car repair and car service places, etc. It just wasn't as nice as I was hoping. And I've spent a lot of time there b/c I used to live in NC.

BUT... I still like GVL and all places have some not-so-pretty areas.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,281,504 times
I have to agree with the above. We decided o move to Greenville sight unseen, and when we first drove in were a bit dismayed at the ugly roads and abandoned buildings. However, downtown and other factors won us over.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,670,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
If it weren't for a few posters like me every damn person who was asking about Greenville would be told to move here even if it was an awful fit.
That claim is highly controversial when even a majority of the Greenville fan club advises seekers to visit the cities they have interest in prior to settling the ultimate decision. Furthermore, how often have you publicly criticized those who always advise against moving to Greenville regardless of the possibility that it might have been a beautiful fit?

Last edited by Skyliner; 01-25-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM

102 posts, read 111,926 times
I just got asked for money walking up Main Street. Ha. But after a year, this is only the 4th (maybe 5th) time this has happened.

I've also never even known anything about Bob Jones besides the name. Why would you care about a college if you don't go there.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:43 AM

1,443 posts, read 1,367,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfj View Post
I just got asked for money walking up Main Street. Ha. But after a year, this is only the 4th (maybe 5th) time this has happened.

I've also never even known anything about Bob Jones besides the name. Why would you care about a college if you don't go there.
Bob Jones and their students are free to do as they please. I don't go there so it doesn't have any big effect on me. I just said it was mind boggling to me that there is a university that has a dress code where women cannot wear pants. If people want to choose that lifestyle, it is fine as long as they don't impose it on me. I feel the same about most other things. Want to smoke pot? I don't care but don't expect me to do it or support it with my taxes. You're gay? Doesn't bother me but I'm not going to be marching in the gay pride parade with you, either.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Banning by IP address can be circumvented by a troll with smarts, so it's not a sure fire solution. I've written to the moderator to ask this thread be closed since it's not doing anyone any good at this point. I would hope the person behind the screen names will get some help ... This kind of hatred is damaging him more than the people he's attacking.
I just hope you get another chance to visit. The Greenville area is actually a pretty nice place to live, at least for me. The person spewing hate here is not really indicitive of people in this area.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 AM

2,978 posts, read 2,510,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I just hope you get another chance to visit. The Greenville area is actually a pretty nice place to live, at least for me. The person spewing hate here is not really indicitive of people in this area.
Thanks ... As I said in my original post, Greenville's still at the top of my list.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 PM

"The Emperor: Come, boy, see for yourself. From here, you will witness the final destruction of the Alliance and the end of your insignificant rebellion.
[Luke's eyes go to his lightsabre]
The Emperor: You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.
Luke: No.
The Emperor: It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. You, like your father, are now mine."

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area