U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,675,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Bums are everywhere. Nothing you can really do unless they get kicked out.
True. But some cities (cough *Asheville* cough) have been suspected of giving homeless people one way bus tickets to other cities such as Greenville and Charlotte...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,425 times
The issue I think here is that this thread is not necessarily intended for Greenville area residents. My family is looking to possibly move to this area. And I don't want a sugar coated insider's view who may or may not see clearly due to "home field bias". I'm looking for honest impressions of the area. I realize that all people will have certain views based on their backgrounds and cultures. But to refute someone's opinions and question their motives for commenting here is not fair to them. Don't attack the OP for attempting to explain their impressions of the area.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM

147 posts, read 148,779 times
Thought I'd offer my thoughts, since my wife and I were in GVL last week for the first time and are considering moving there: Overall, very positive. We stayed at the Hampton downtown so we did a lot of walking and were very impressed. Because of the cold, there weren't many people out, but we could imagine that in the warmer weather it's very vibrant. The restaurants where we ate (Soby's and Pomegranate) were both very good; the art museum was excellent; the people we met friendly and informative. We weren't panhandled or in any way faced with anyone who behaved unpleasantly. In looking for an area in which to live, we think that the north side of the city (toward Paris Mt and Furman) is more appealing than the Eastside and Wade Hampton, which may be more convenient, but contain a lot more traffic and sprawl. We like the mountains (both of us do a lot of mt biking), and GVL's proximity, esp from the north side of town toward Brevard and Dupont, seem to make it a good fit for us. There seem to be many apartment complexes, so finding a suitable rental before we buy will be easy. Of course, there are things that we can't measure, for example, will we, as northerners who don't attend church and are politically moderate fit in well (and I truly mean "fit in". We neither expect or want wherever we settle to be just like where we live now--that's why we're moving) and find friends? I don't see why we wouldn't, but other posters here have written about a lack of acceptance of those who aren't active Christians/political conservatives. There's only one way to find out, isn't there?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,603,663 times
The restaurants I ate at in Greenville while I still had an appetite included the City Range Steakhouse and the Copper Canyon Grill. Both were comparable in quality to the restaurants here in the far western suburbs of Chicago, and I enjoyed being able to order a side of greens with my salmon at the latter. I look forward to trying more on my next visit.

A friend here at work grew up in Spartanburg and she was very surprised I was panhandled in Greenville so I think that was just a fluke. Regarding religiosity, I've worked with and gone to school with a lot of evangelical Christians over the years, and never felt pressured by them to go to their churches or "accept Jesus Christ etc" or rejected by them socially ... Though I'd expect regular churchgoers will spend most of their time with members of their community.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:55 PM

10,878 posts, read 23,730,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
Thought I'd offer my thoughts, since my wife and I were in GVL last week for the first time and are considering moving there: Overall, very positive. We stayed at the Hampton downtown so we did a lot of walking and were very impressed. Because of the cold, there weren't many people out, but we could imagine that in the warmer weather it's very vibrant. The restaurants where we ate (Soby's and Pomegranate) were both very good; the art museum was excellent; the people we met friendly and informative. We weren't panhandled or in any way faced with anyone who behaved unpleasantly. In looking for an area in which to live, we think that the north side of the city (toward Paris Mt and Furman) is more appealing than the Eastside and Wade Hampton, which may be more convenient, but contain a lot more traffic and sprawl. We like the mountains (both of us do a lot of mt biking), and GVL's proximity, esp from the north side of town toward Brevard and Dupont, seem to make it a good fit for us. There seem to be many apartment complexes, so finding a suitable rental before we buy will be easy. Of course, there are things that we can't measure, for example, will we, as northerners who don't attend church and are politically moderate fit in well (and I truly mean "fit in". We neither expect or want wherever we settle to be just like where we live now--that's why we're moving) and find friends? I don't see why we wouldn't, but other posters here have written about a lack of acceptance of those who aren't active Christians/political conservatives. There's only one way to find out, isn't there?
Thanks for reporting back with your honest opinion Glad it was a positive experience. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 AM

2,901 posts, read 2,052,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
Glad your experience was positive, that's important to us locals. Now about the religion thing.......it will be difficult to find like-minded people around here but it's possible. Your group of friends may be small at first but with time you will meet others like me who are not religious and embrace other opinions and enjoy different perspectives. I know you said you don't attend church but there is a UU "church" (if you want to call it that) in Greenville (Universalist Unitarian) where you might meet others who have no certain religion and just want the community of a church. Just a thought, I haven't been myself but it seems to be a bustling place and they are supposed to be accepting of all walks of life, no matter what you believe or don't believe.

Hope your move is a smooth transition and you find happiness here, I think you will.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,762,861 times
Be careful. The City of Greenville may pass an ordinance that makes it unlawful to say anything bad about Greenville.

City Code 100-19-293 or something like that.

"Degrading the Honor of the City of Greenville"
- To make any sort of comment about the city or county or region commonly known as Greenville, which is negative in nature or sounds in any way like one is not impressed by the presence of the City.

Any person found guilty of this is subject to a $500 fine and/or 30 days imprisonment.

Careful. They just may pass it haha!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM

3,991 posts, read 5,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Be careful. The City of Greenville may pass an ordinance that makes it unlawful to say anything bad about Greenville.

- To make any sort of comment about the city or county or region commonly known as Greenville, which is negative in nature or sounds in any way like one is not impressed by the presence of the City.

Any person found guilty of this is subject to a $500 fine and/or 30 days imprisonment.

Interesting. Do they have this where you are?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM

692 posts, read 654,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post

This is a joke, right??

Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,675,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Interesting. Do they have this where you are?
I'm sure they do. Nobody is allowed to even think a bad thought about Charleston, much less say something. It is the most perfect city in the world, after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area