U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM

3,012 posts, read 2,519,245 times

Advertisements

I spent a few days in Greenville back in October 2013, and have never posted my impressions. Unfortunately, I developed a serious gall bladder infection so when I arrived in Greenville, I wasn't feeling well and had no energy but didn't know what was wrong until the pain started one night. Five days in the hospital kind of cut into my vacation time.

Beautiful downtown, and it looks like there's a lot to do ... there was definitely something of a Bible Belt feeling to the area, I was staying close to Bob Jones U. and on Sunday AM a small "Bible" church was having its meeting in a conference room at the hotel. Plus, I had a hard time finding a radio station that wasn't talking about Jesus. Reminded me a bit of the Holland MI area out here which has a heavy Dutch Reformed presence, or Wheaton IL where Billy Graham's alma mater is located.

Greenville and surrounding areas felt like a former blue collar mill community that was "putting on airs". Some of the areas were smaller and (hate to say it) shabbier than the posts here would lead me to believe; Traveler's Rest, for example, didn't impress me. For those who like the outdoors, though, there's a lot of positives to the area: the only thing I managed to do was drive up to Caesar's Head Park, and up to Paris Mountain Park. Didn't get to the lake and though I wanted to visit waterfalls, I just didn't have the energy due to my illness.

The first time I parked downtown, someone panhandled me within a minute or two of my leaving my car. She was shaking, and my guess was, opioid withdrawal. That left me with kind of a bad feeling for downtown, since I expect that kind of thing when I get off the train in Chicago, but not in a smaller town like the one I live in. People in general were very friendly wherever I went, though.

So, it was a mixed bag; I arrived very sick and didn't realize it until my gall bladder gave out, so I didn't really give the area's charms a good workout. My hope is to visit again this year, hopefully when I don't need surgery. Greenville's still near the top of my list for semi-retirement a few years down the road ... I didn't see any deal breakers (though I wish I'd been in better health when I visited).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM

10,781 posts, read 23,444,079 times
Thanks for the update. It's nice to hear unbiased opinions.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,014,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Greenville and surrounding areas felt like a former blue collar mill community that was "putting on airs". Some of the areas were smaller and (hate to say it) shabbier than the posts here would lead me to believe; Traveler's Rest, for example, didn't impress me. For those who like the outdoors, though, there's a lot of positives to the area: the only thing I managed to do was drive up to Caesar's Head Park, and up to Paris Mountain Park. Didn't get to the lake and though I wanted to visit waterfalls, I just didn't have the energy due to my illness.

The first time I parked downtown, someone panhandled me within a minute or two of my leaving my car. She was shaking, and my guess was, opioid withdrawal. That left me with kind of a bad feeling for downtown, since I expect that kind of thing when I get off the train in Chicago, but not in a smaller town like the one I live in. People in general were very friendly wherever I went, though.
I agree with the first paragraph. The surrounding areas are hit and miss, with more misses.

I'm surprised by the panhandling though. You really don't see much of that downtown compared to other cities, in my opinion. You get much more of that in Asheville.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 PM

I didn't see any panhandlers the other times I was downtown during my visit ... but it's weird I ran into one the very first time I visited downtown.

A friend of mine described his experience of Asheville downtown as "a bunch of hippies sitting around drinking PBR" so panhandling in Asheville's no surprise. :grin:

Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 PM

799 posts, read 1,365,332 times
Travelers Rest may be a little more grown up when you return. It's growing slowly.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 AM

745 posts, read 1,819,908 times
It's all relative, I guess. Taken at face value, Travelers Rest isn't much of a town. But if you had been here a few years, you'd be impressed at the improvements. Compared to a lot of other small southern towns, it's doing well. We drove the back roads from FL one time. It's depressing to go through small towns that are virtually abandoned, not a soul in sight, windows broken out of crumbling buildings. By comparison, TR is looking pretty good. Not all of us want a big bustling community. What I like is that all the chain stores and fast food stores have been kept off of Main Street, clustered over on Hwy 25 instead. I hope they keep it that way.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2SC View Post
I doubt anybody ever talked up Traveler's Rest other than it is rural area near Paris Mountain if you like that kind of thing. There isn't much out there.
There are a number of threads that speak positively of Travelers Rest, including:

Travelers Rest named 'coolest small town' finalist

My post was about my *first* impressions of the area, and I plan on following up when I've had a chance to spend more time in the area. First impressions are just that ... I certainly didn't think I'd be put in a position of feeling I had to defend my feelings about the area.

Quote:
I don't see the mill town thing with Greenville. Spartanburg, maybe Greer / Duncan area has some old mill areas. The area around Pelham / Woodruff roads in Greenville is definitely not a mill town vibe.
There are a lot of older buildings around that create that impression, at least to me .... you did notice my post did not include a claim that I was presenting objective fact?

Quote:
If you didn't talk to anybody in the suburbs of Greenville, how can you assert the people are putting on airs?
I didn't *say* the people I met were putting on airs ... I said the *area* felt that way ... what I wrote was: "Greenville and surrounding areas felt like a former blue collar mill community that was "putting on airs"." The quote marks indicate I'm speaking metaphorically (as does the construction "Greenville ... felt like") ... this is called personification, kind of like when poet Carl Sandburg wrote "The fog comes/on little cat feet." He didn't mean that the fog actually had cat feet; and I was similarly personifying the Greenville area based on my overall impressions of things like shabby rundown buildings next to brand new upscale restaurants etc.

Quote:
Greenville has at least 3 rock stations, top 40 stations, easy listening, country, talk radio etc. I would think the religious stuff would mostly be on AM.
I was looking for talk shows ... around here, they're on AM. The ones I found tended to be religious in nature.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
It's all relative, I guess. Taken at face value, Travelers Rest isn't much of a town. But if you had been here a few years, you'd be impressed at the improvements. Compared to a lot of other small southern towns, it's doing well. We drove the back roads from FL one time. It's depressing to go through small towns that are virtually abandoned, not a soul in sight, windows broken out of crumbling buildings. By comparison, TR is looking pretty good. Not all of us want a big bustling community. What I like is that all the chain stores and fast food stores have been kept off of Main Street, clustered over on Hwy 25 instead. I hope they keep it that way.
I did a lot of driving through rural VA, NC, and TN back in the 1970s and 1980s, so I know what you mean. It's not my cup of tea, but TR is no doubt the right place for someone looking for a smaller community away from things. I'm at a point in my life (near retirement, some health problems) where I don't want to be off isolated in the boondocks, but that's just me.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 3,092,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I certainly didn't think I'd be put in a position of feeling I had to defend my feelings about the area.
This attitude is exactly why I don't like posting on this particular board. If you say ANYTHING that can be slightly negative about Greenville you get bashed left and right. It's pretty noticeable even when talking in person with locals. You mention you don't like a certain place and they get extremely defensive even if you didnt mean anything by it. I've never lived in a place like this before. I just want to say thank you for actually posting a true outsiders point of view. As someone who was forced to move here due to jobs I agree with all you've said.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,714,009 times
We do have our panhandlers, but I've noticed a lot fewer panhandlers in the last year or two compared to previous years, and I've never seen one that appeared to be a 'junkie.' It could be that they just stay away from me now that I'm pushing a stroller.

As far as radio, I think Greenville has an outstanding selection of stations, at least in the classic rock / 90s rock / alternative I listen to. It is by no means hard to find something other than Christian programming, even on a Sunday morning.

Last edited by gvsteve; 01-23-2014 at 05:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area