Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Charter pretty much has most of the area by their short hairs if you want internet.
The only partial competitor is AT&T Uverse and it tops out at 45 Mbps vs. 60 Mbps for Charter and it isn't available everywhere. We currently have Uverse with the 18 Mbps plan and I am considering dumping it. The bill with a mid tier TV package is pushing $180/ month. If it was just me, I'd have internet only, an antenna, and a subscription to Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The only partial competitor is AT&T Uverse and it tops out at 45 Mbps vs. 60 Mbps for Charter and it isn't available everywhere. We currently have Uverse with the 18 Mbps plan and I am considering dumping it. The bill with a mid tier TV package is pushing $180/ month. If it was just me, I'd have internet only, an antenna, and a subscription to Netflix.
The last sentence you stated is exactly what I have. Works great. Haven't missed cable one bit.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:27 PM

36 posts, read 111,432 times
My first year promo is up also and the tab will go to about $45. When I first signed up a year ago, the first year promo was 29.99, 2nd year 39.99 and then 54.99 or something like that for the remaining years. BUT..... during the first year, it was bumped up $5 across the board so will be paying $45 for the 2nd year. Funny how you can enter into a 'contract' with Charter, or any other cable/sat company, and if you don't toe the line according to the small print, they can pretty much have their way with you. Yeah, they load it up with all the caveats which basically states they can do whatever they want whenever they want. But as stated in earlier posts, they are the only high speed game in town. luckily, I have not ever had any service or speed issues with them. TV may be another matter but for now I have OTA. May have to go with one of their bundles later if it turns out for a few bucks more, I can get tv and internet and just not connect the phone.
And the saga continues........

Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,824 times
We're on an air card, which isn't cheap, and has a low cap. Our only other option here is Charter, since AT&T isn't in our neighborhood, and they won't give us DSL.

We're getting good TV reception with an antenna and an amplifier, but I haven't found an antenna yet that gets ESPN. Now that almost all sports is going over to cable, I guess I need to get a new interest. I'm not gonna pony up $1600 a year to watch college football, no matter how much I like it!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM

36 posts, read 111,432 times
Charter is the way to go in this area for speed, although it is pricey but what other choices are there? How many channels do you get in the TR area? I am near downtown Gvl and I get all the networks except for ABC. There is not a transmitter close enough I think. Also some independent and other strange channels. The OTA lineup isn't bad for the most part but the weekend lineup is really sad, especially Sat/Sun mornings. It is painful.
As for ESPN, it's on cable only, I believe, or can you stream it over the internet from several sources. I use Amazon Fire TV as a streaming device and am learning how to get a bunch of cable channels to stream for free. I may just have to bite the bullet and stay with internet only, for the duration.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:17 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook1800 View Post
Charter is the way to go in this area for speed, although it is pricey but what other choices are there? How many channels do you get in the TR area? I am near downtown Gvl and I get all the networks except for ABC. There is not a transmitter close enough I think. Also some independent and other strange channels. The OTA lineup isn't bad for the most part but the weekend lineup is really sad, especially Sat/Sun mornings. It is painful.
As for ESPN, it's on cable only, I believe, or can you stream it over the internet from several sources. I use Amazon Fire TV as a streaming device and am learning how to get a bunch of cable channels to stream for free. I may just have to bite the bullet and stay with internet only, for the duration.
Dish Network will begin offering about a dozen "cable" channels via an app later this month. The app will be on most devices, such as Roku, Amazon Fire and some Smart TV's, Xbox, etc... It will include ESPN some ABC/Disney owned channels for now. $20 a month, no contract.

Sling TV - Take Back TV

Good review: I tried Sling TV at CES 2015, and now I'm cancelling cable | The Verge

Old 01-09-2015, 04:18 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,824 times
I get all of the networks reliably here near Tigerville. It helps that I'm on a hill. I have a smallish outdoor antenna, currently hanging off a nail (temporarily)- I'm almost afraid to move it since it works so well. I have an amplifier, and getting a new TV helped reception a lot. Still doesn't do anything for the content, though.

I guess eventually we'll get internet-only from Charter so we can do streaming. Every time I see their annoying TV ad, though, I never want to use them. No wonder it's so hard to get help when you call- they're too busy dancing around the office! They seemed to have dropped the pirate ship ad- I guess it was too close to the truth.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 AM

321 posts, read 406,716 times
I just got one of these and have been playing with XBMC. The viewing choices seem endless. It's legality is questionable, but if you are the type that goes at least 5 mph over the speed limit it may not bother you.
Link

Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Dish Network will begin offering about a dozen "cable" channels via an app later this month. The app will be on most devices, such as Roku, Amazon Fire and some Smart TV's, Xbox, etc... It will include ESPN some ABC/Disney owned channels for now. $20 a month, no contract.

Sling TV - Take Back TV

Good review: I tried Sling TV at CES 2015, and now I'm cancelling cable | The Verge

It will be interesting to see how that service pans out. I suspect that ABC/Disney/ESPN might launch their own paid streaming service within the next 1 - 2 years, and might be letting Dish test the waters before they go all in. CBS launched their own streaming service not too long ago. I've haven't heard how well its panning out for them. HBO has already announced their service as well, but pricing details are unknown. I think we are slowing working closer to a la carte pricing for tv.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 PM

97 posts, read 160,284 times
Any new updates on internet service? Charter promo is up for us and we are at $54.99 I'm a little hesitant to play hardball. When I did that with the TV they only came down like $5 and I said forget and switched to Direct TV (best decision ever all though those promos are ending soon too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area