Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 AM

287 posts, read 768,536 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible move for work at Clemson. Our priorities would be:
1) safe neighborhood
2) good academic schools
3) within 5-10 miles of our church (we're LDS- chapels are in Anderson, Seneca and Berea )
4) good high school choir for one musically inclined child
5) hospitals or medical clinics for my work
6) budget up to 350K or so
7) good sense of community

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
If you are looking for a reasonable commute, Seneca would be closer to Clemson. How far are you willing to commute?

As far as schools, I do not know what your educational preferences are. I do not know what to advise in private education. In public schools, you have the Oconee County school district, Pickens County school district and five Anderson Couny school districts.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Is Anderson a reasonable commute? Looks like it's about 15-20 miles but what would the traffic be like?

We're looking for public schools. I was looking at the IB International schools online last night. I don't quite get what that's about. How are they different from other public schools?

I'm wondering what the "feel" or vibe is in Seneca. The schools don't rate quite as high but numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
You have several options, each of which will have pluses and minuses for your list. I will put the school district so you can have that for reference. You may find https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/ helpful to get a general idea about schools. Those report cards can sometimes be misleading but they give you a general idea of school performance over time.

First, I wouldn't rule out living in the Pickens County area around Clemson. The high school there, Daniel (Pickens County Schools), is very good academically. I'm not sure about chorus but they do have an active marching band and sports program. Clemson is close to Seneca, and you could be within 10-15 minutes of the LDS church there. For hospitals, you could work in Seneca (10 min), Easley (15 min), Anmed North or Main Campus (30 min), Greenville Memorial, or St. Francis (40 min).

I don't know a lot about Seneca High School (Oconee County Schools) other than they have a pretty good marching band. Academically I think they are pretty average for this area. Living there would be close to your church and the hospital in Seneca. Most other hospitals would be an extra 10 minutes over the times for Clemson.

Pendelton would be a consideration (Anderson District 04 Schools). The high school there tends to be pretty good. They won the state AA marching band championship this year and normally have really active sports programs. Pendleton would be ~15 minutes from the church in Seneca and 20 minutes to the one in Anderson. Pendle ton would be ~15 minutes from the hospital in Seneca, 20 minutes to Easley, 20-25 minutes to Anmed, and ~35 minutes to Greenville Memorial and Saint Francis.

The North side of Anderson in the Hanna High School attendance zone (Anderson District 5 Schools) would be another option. Hanna tends to be good to excellent academically. They don't have much of a band program - not sure about choir. Hanna tends to have a very active sports program. Hanna is a really big high school, a plus for some and a minus for others. You want to make sure that you are in the Hanna attendance zone in Anderson, though, as the other schools in Anderson are not as good academically. You could live very close to the Anderson church and close to Anmed as well.

Just north of the Hanna attendance zone, you have the attendance area for Wren High School (Anderson District 01 schools). Wren tends to be very good academically. They have a very active band and choir program. They have an active sports program but they don't win many football or basketball championships. The Wren attendance zone covers a huge area. You distance to church would be 15-30 minutes depending on where you lived in that area. Depending on where you were, it would be kind of in-between Anmed and Greenville Memorial. That could be an advantage if you wanted more options. It is kind of a rural area, which could be a plus or minus depending on your desires. The Wren area will be 15-30 minutes to Clemson, again, depending on where exactly you settle.

Powdersville (Anderson District 01 schools) has a very good to excellent high school that opened a couple of years ago. It was a split from the Wren attendance zone due to growth in that area. Powdersville has a very active band and choir program. Powdersville would be convenient to both Saint Francis, Greenville Memorial, and Easley hospitals. It would be 30-40 minutes to Anmed from there. It takes ~30 mintues to get to Clemson from there. Powdersville is also convenient to downtown Greenville. The main drawback to Powdersville would be the distance to church. The one in Berea would be 15-25 minutes away on a road full of red lights.

One last consideration would be Easley (Pickens County Schools). The schools there are pretty good. Easley covers a pretty big area but depending on where you lived it would be 15-25 minutes to Clemson. The Easley hospital is in Easley, and it would also be close to Greenville Memorial or Saint Francis. Easley would be ~20 minutes from your church in Berea but that would be going on a backroad without redlights. If you were on the NE side of Easley, you could be as close as 10 minutes to your church, at the expense of increasing the commute to Clemson to more like 30 minutes.

International Baccalaurate (IB) in high schools, in short, is a college prep program. If you are familiar with Advanced Placement (AP), it is a similar idea but is implemented differently. Most of the schools in the above list will offer IB, AP, and/or college dual enrollment courses for advanced students.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM

To answer the question about commute from Anderson to Clemson, it is a 4 lane highway the entire way. From downtown Anderson north, the road is choked with red lights and lots of shopping centers. Once you get out of Anderson, there are very few red lights and it normally moves along pretty quickly. That is of course, when there isn't a Clemson football game. If it's Clemson game day, all bets are off!

The same thing can be said for the road between Clemson and Easley. There are tons of shopping centers and red lights in Easley. Once you leave Easley, it turns into a Freeway all the way in to Clemson.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Thank you so much for this info. You've given some suggestions I hadn't thought of. I guess I'll have to get on the ground there to see what I think.

I noticed that they also have IB in elementary and middle schools ( we'll have one in each level next year). Is it just more intense academically? This is what my kids need. We moved from MN to ID 4 years ago. It felt like my 1st grader had dropped back into preschool. Awful! And two kids who have done high school here have done much worse on the ACT than the kids that graduated in MN.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM

They are supposed to be more academically rigorous but to me it is just a label. I would be more concerned with how well their students are prepared. What percentage of students are above grade level, do they have a gifted and talented program, what percentage of 8th graders are taking high school English and Algebra? What percentage of high school students graduate, go to college, have AP, IB, or dual enrollment credit when they graduate? Does the school have the extracurricular activities that are important to you (band, choir, sports)?

Greenville County is a good example. In the past, Greenville County has implemented IB programs at poor performing schools in an attempt to make them magnet schools and improve performance. If you were just looking for IB schools, you might skip over schools in Greenville County that are excellent schools even without an IB program.

Some of where you want to be will depend on what kind of place you want to live. If you want convenience to lots of shopping and a suburban setting, Anderson will have both. Easley and Powdersville will have all the shopping except the mall in a slightly more rural setting. If you are looking for a nice small town and okay with driving 30 minutes to go to Sams Club, Target, etc., Clemson or Pendleton might be a good choice (both have grocery stores). If you want a rural setting, the outskirts of Pendleton or the Wren area might be better. Do you want a large high school with a million activities and lots of choices? Hanna might be a good bet. Do you want a smaller high school where your child knows everyone? Powdersville might be better for that.

Last edited by WhitewaterVol; 01-27-2014 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: correct grammatical error

Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM

423 posts, read 898,412 times
Seneca High School has one of the best high school chorus programs in the area. I sing in The Greenville Chorale and every season we have 2-3 high school students chosen for our Young Artists program from many applicants in the upstate area and we have had several from Seneca High School.

School District of Oconee County

Old 04-06-2019, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Hi! I have the same question as carlymac—where to live while working at Clemson. Quality schools (high school esp) is our top priority. How long would the commute from Greenville to Clemson actually be? Carlymac..what has your experience been like?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:10 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Good article on this subject. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...sc/3138969002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area