U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 AM

93 posts, read 75,573 times

Advertisements

Apologize if this was posted previously but first time I have seen this:

" [The new road] would run for a mile and a half between Verdae Boulevard and Miller Road near Frankie’s Fun Park.Along the way, it would cross Interstate 85 and connect with three roads that branch off Woodruff Road and are dead ends now — Ketron Court near Costco, Green Heron Road at the Nutra Manufacturing plant, and Woodruff Industrial Lane at TGI Friday’s.
Planners say it would give drivers a way to access popular destinations such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or the Greenridge shopping center without having to drive on Woodruff Road. They also say it would cut Woodruff Road traffic by 25 percent over time."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...ows-Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM

11,186 posts, read 24,708,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
Apologize if this was posted previously but first time I have seen this:

" [The new road] would run for a mile and a half between Verdae Boulevard and Miller Road near Frankie’s Fun Park.Along the way, it would cross Interstate 85 and connect with three roads that branch off Woodruff Road and are dead ends now — Ketron Court near Costco, Green Heron Road at the Nutra Manufacturing plant, and Woodruff Industrial Lane at TGI Friday’s.
Planners say it would give drivers a way to access popular destinations such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or the Greenridge shopping center without having to drive on Woodruff Road. They also say it would cut Woodruff Road traffic by 25 percent over time."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...ows-Greenville
Good idea I was out there lunch time yesterday and the traffic was bumper to bumper. I don't go there often but I'm wondering if this is due to so many traffic lights being to close together? Anyway, they do need to do something about the situation.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Good idea I was out there lunch time yesterday and the traffic was bumper to bumper. I don't go there often but I'm wondering if this is due to so many traffic lights being to close together? Anyway, they do need to do something about the situation.
I think it just too many people in the same small area where much of Greenville's retail stores are located. You probably have some out of town traveler's stop at that exit too because it is the main one in Greenville.

I think an entrance and/or an exit off one of the interstates directly into / out of Greenridge would help a lot. Maybe one off 385 into Magnolia Park.

Maybe they could add another lane on Woodruff but that would make it an even worse traffic nightmare for the year or so it would take to do it.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 AM

647 posts, read 798,509 times
Wasn't something like this proposed as part of one of the rejected designs for the I-85/I-385 interchange reconstruction?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Wasn't something like this proposed as part of one of the rejected designs for the I-85/I-385 interchange reconstruction?
I dunno.. I can't see them running a new bridge over I-85 for this road. If they just ran it from Verdae to behind Target that would help though.

Running a road from Miller Rd toward 85 behind Whole Foods might lead to alot of thru traffic on Miller Road and the people who live along there aren't going to like that.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,198,368 times
I do not know why another road is necessary.

First, Salters Road from Verdae Boulevard to Millennium Boulevard and Carolina Point Parkway will be widened from two to four lanes in the near future.

Second, Market Point Drive is to be connected to Carolina Point Parkway.

Third, consider SPUIs for Woodruff Road at I-85, Woodruff Road at I-385 and Roper Mountain Road at I-385.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

First, Salters Road from Verdae Boulevard to Millennium Boulevard and Carolina Point Parkway will be widened from two to four lanes in the near future.

Third, consider SPUIs for Woodruff Road at I-85, Woodruff Road at I-385 and Roper Mountain Road at I-385.

Ok I didn't know about the first two. That probably would do it. I still an exit off interstate directly into Costco / Magnolia park and greenridge could help and not be that costly

Hopefully they will get rid of those roundabouts on Carolina Point parkway, they seem pointless.

Last edited by Gervais; 02-09-2014 at 12:11 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,894,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Points 1 and 2 are good, but will not help one of the biggest problems: the traffic flow from Verdae/Roper Mountain to I85, which is one of the first flows to back up. That will only become worse as the Magnolia Park traffic continues to grow for Cabela's, Dave & Busters, etc. #3 would be a big help, but is so expensive that it may be a decade or more before it would be complete.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 AM

1,972 posts, read 2,461,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
Ok I didn't know about the first two. That probably would do it. I still an exit off interstate directly into Costco / Magnolia park and greenridge could help and not be that costly

Hopefully they will get rid of those roundabouts on Carolina Point parkway, they seem pointless.
That would be wayyyy to dangerous just to turn out of Greenridge onto the interstate. I can see it now. Drivers getting confused and going the wrong way onto the interstate. I think federal law prohibits entrances into and out of businesses direct onto the interstate. You would need frontage roads and long exits to comply with standards allowed by law and not enough room to do that. Very costly.

Sorry.I find the complaining about the traffic on Woodruff Rd silly. Its not that bad compared to commercial areas in larger cities and at its worse on busy shopping days the wait is not that bad. The real problem is people have no patience. They expect to zip to the stores in a minute. Not realistic on a busy Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,096,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
That would be wayyyy to dangerous just to turn out of Greenridge onto the interstate. I can see it now. Drivers getting confused and going the wrong way onto the interstate. I think federal law prohibits entrances into and out of businesses direct onto the interstate. You would need frontage roads and long exits to comply with standards allowed by law and not enough room to do that. Very costly.

Sorry.I find the complaining about the traffic on Woodruff Rd silly. Its not that bad compared to commercial areas in larger cities and at its worse on busy shopping days the wait is not that bad. The real problem is people have no patience. They expect to zip to the stores in a minute. Not realistic on a busy Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
Yes, but Greenville isn't their size. It should not have the traffic problems of much larger cities, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or