Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
Be glad you don't live in NJ. Property taxes here are like $9,000/yr on a 3 bed/2 bath 1600 sq ft home. State taxes are 7%. It's ridiculous here. People who have paid off their homes can't afford to stay because they can't afford to pay the property taxes.

I'm moving to Columbia in a month. I CANNOT wait. It will be like low cost of living heaven for me.
Do yourself a favor and think HARD as to WHY NJ ended up where it is and do yourself and all the good folks of SC a good service and embrace THEIR mindset and culture or you will end up back in the NJ pickle again. (See S.E. Florida for reference)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 AM

62 posts, read 278,552 times
I think a lot of how we feel is based on where we lived before.

I would agree with that. I come from a state with high taxes although food and clothing under a certain amount was not taxed. When I think of food being taxed here, it doesn't bother my purse a whole lot, but I feel bad for those who struggle.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM

63 posts, read 233,759 times
JViello,

Are you suggesting that property taxes are so high in NJ because of mindset and culture? You can't possibly be serious???????

Old 01-08-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
JViello,

Are you suggesting that property taxes are so high in NJ because of mindset and culture? You can't possibly be serious???????
Oh boy...this is what I'm talking about.

Of course I'm serious! How do you think these things come about? The people and politicians reflect the mindset and culture.

The liberal, entitlement mentality and policies over the years has put NJ (And my home state of CT) in the position it's in.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 38,729 times
I moved to the upstate from SFL this past year and have NO Issues with taxes or insurance. I'm not crazy about paying property taxes on vehicles, but hey, gas is almost .25 cents a gallon cheaper here, Publix is cheaper, housing is 1/2, Home Owners Insurance is nearly nothing and as long as you live outside a city limit, property taxes are less than 1%. I love it and am here to stay!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 PM

47 posts, read 121,918 times
I have to say im not happy about the personal property tax on vehicles. And being that i rent a home i dont get the property tax bennies. i just move here 3 months ago from up north where there is no property tax on vehicles. irefuse to register my vehicle in Sc. Untill the day i sell it, Its going to have my home state tags on it

Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 AM

152 posts, read 616,532 times
You may want to keep your home state tags but according to SC law you have only months to change it to one from SC. You might be lucky and get away with it but... if you get caught...

Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1monster View Post
I have to say im not happy about the personal property tax on vehicles. And being that i rent a home i dont get the property tax bennies. i just move here 3 months ago from up north where there is no property tax on vehicles. irefuse to register my vehicle in Sc. Untill the day i sell it, Its going to have my home state tags on it
That's just wrong. I hope you get caught.

(Yea I know, I'm a jerk because I don't support breaking the law and cheating...I know.)

Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 PM

169 posts, read 570,623 times
Default sc rips off citizens

I believe you have 45 days to register your vehicle here. It really isn't that bad, I have an 2002 Ford Escape and it was only $139.00 My husbands 2001 Park Ave was about the same. Compared to the over $2300.00 we paid in property taxes on a house that was smaller than what we found here, and the land was about a third of an acre, we are happy with the taxes here. Our over 2200 sq house in Fountain Inn on .75 acre is under $600.00 a year.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,356 times
Default taxe

just wondering roughly how much would someone pay in taxes in sc for a 2001 pt crusier. I am moving there in about 2 weeks. Thanks for any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area