Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Was hoping to see even more retail space (including multi-level) especially along Main Street.
There is a little bit of two levels of retail on Main near the existing two buildings that aren't part of this development. As Main Street goes downhill towards the river that is.

I think they have too much plaza actually and should beef up the buildings or make the plaza more park like. This is way too much hardscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
This development looks nice. Area is kinda flooded with hotels already, but whatever.

Could we end up seeing some big box here? Like City Target or a department store or so? I know downtown Charlotte has a development similar near Time Warner Arena. And what if somebody like Cheesecake Facotry came? Boy this really could bring shopping back to downtown, instead of flooding Woodruff with more and more of it.

Awesome for the theater as well. Should be Cinebarre or Cinebistro. Mt Pleasant has Cinnebare and its nice. I heard Cinebistro is the bomb.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:24 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
This development looks nice. Area is kinda flooded with hotels already, but whatever.

Could we end up seeing some big box here? Like City Target or a department store or so? I know downtown Charlotte has a development similar near Time Warner Arena. And what if somebody like Cheesecake Facotry came? Boy this really could bring shopping back to downtown, instead of flooding Woodruff with more and more of it.

Awesome for the theater as well. Should be Cinebarre or Cinebistro. Mt Pleasant has Cinnebare and its nice. I heard Cinebistro is the bomb.
I agree.
That part of DT could really use a urban style department store like CityTarget especially with all the people moving into the West End Area. I don't understand the logic of putting the hotel on main and the long stretch of retail at the back of the plaza. I would think most retailers would want to be in the most visible spot.

Guess they know what they are doing to attract the best retailers.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:53 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
I would like to see some renderings but overall it looks awesome. As a person who lives just a few blocks from the site, I would LOVE to something like a CityTarget here.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:59 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
CityTarget should open Downtown, but not at the expense of the overall "down home feel" of Main Street. The development, at least according the site plan, looks fairly promising but I was truly hoping for a tower there but then again, would we truly want a tower casting a shadow over Falls Park? I think not.

In my opinion, if possible, the "Plaza" would be more so an extension of Falls Park.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:04 PM

9,502 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
CityTarget should open Downtown, but not at the expense of the overall "down home feel" of Main Street. The development, at least according the site plan, looks fairly promising but I was truly hoping for a tower there but then again, would we truly want a tower casting a shadow over Falls Park? I think not.

In my opinion, if possible, the "Plaza" would be more so an extension of Falls Park.
I don't see the attraction of needing a big box store on Main St. Maybe off Main St possibly, but the whole feeling of Main St is the niche, locally owned stores that make downtown Greenville special.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:11 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I don't see the attraction of needing a big box store on Main St. Maybe off Main St possibly, but the whole feeling of Main St is the niche, locally owned stores that make downtown Greenville special.
I agree with you but as the other posters mentioned, they could use a big box store. Just outside, like where the old Bilo was located would be a perfect location. Although, that will become a privately owned grocery store.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
And a hindrance to urban living is not having the stores you want to shop at nearby. Yes, it's wonderful to have all the successful small businesses, but there also need to be the big name stores that people love to come to. Remember, the downtowns of America all started dying once the major retailers (JC Penny, Sears, Macy's, etc) traded downtown for suburban mall.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
CityTarget is not the Big Box that you all know. Its much smaller and designed for an urban area and fits in residential buildings where retail exists on the lower levels. No one is talking about a big box with an expansive parking lot in front DT. National chains are going in all over Main like Brooks Brothers, CVS and Orvis. There will be many more in this new development . Its a little late to limit it to locally owned stores. A mix of both is nice and convenient for DT residents IMO.

Last edited by vistatiger; 12-07-2014 at 02:18 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 AM

183 posts, read 303,288 times
Yeah I live DT and I really do need some more shopping options not on Woodruff Rd. Sorry tourists. Once this goes up and we have the Alley built all my entertainment needs will be taken care of. Then we just need something like a Target and bam, I'm finally done going out to that nightmare for stuff. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area