Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you attend a Straight Pride-Traditional Family Parade?
Yes, as long as it was with good intentions. 11 22.00%
No, everyday is straight pride day, gays need their own special parade. 39 78.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyd View Post
You have no evidence parades had anything to do with it. You act like these parades have millions of Americans watching them. People that do show up are in the choir already. I think the parades actually hurt if you read about what happens at many of them.

I don't think there has ever been any real bigotry toward gays in terms of tolerance. People just don't support gay marriage for religious reasons.
You obviously know nothing about the history of the gay rights movement. You obviously have never seen a gay pride parade, either. If you had, you'd know they are attended by a huge numbers of people--hundreds of thousands in many large cities--and not just gays. And if you don't know that bigotry against gays is real, you are just an ignorant fool. Please, get back into your little Christian bubble and try to stay out of serious conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Thread title says it all. Moms and dads of all races and religions, joyfully parading with their children; biological, adopted or foster. No angry mean signs, just happyness. Would you participate if Downtown Greenville had one? Thanks
No.

I'm straight.

Straights don't have a long history of being oppressed and discriminated against, disowned by their parents for our sexuality and imprisoned for having consensual sex with consenting adults of the gender to which we are naturally attracted, of being assaulted and killed for our sexuality, of facing heavy pressure to pretend to be other than we are.

Gays do.

This is not a zero sum game, though you obviously think it is.

You are petulant and angry over the fact that gays are no longer marginalized as much as you want them to be, not the mention the fact that this marginalization is obviously going to continue decreasing.

And now? You're reducted to expressing your petulant anger by drawing a ridiculous false equivalency.

I hope you live a life long enough so that a day comes when you look back in shame upon the person you once were and the sad and pathetic ideas you once expressed.

Last edited by Unsettomati; 03-07-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 PM

47 posts, read 101,660 times
Yes, murder for any reason is wrong, but lying about the facts of a brutal murder to push your own agenda is reprehensible. Kinda emphasizes the need for events, such as a parade, to raise awareness of the issues facing our LGTB brothers and sisters and to engender compassion.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
When I was a kid and Mother's Day or Father's Day would roll around, I would occasionally ask... "When is children's day? Why don't we have a holiday?"

My parents would answer, "Every day is Children's Day."

They were right. There is no need to have a celebration for things that are routine.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
No, of course not. I hadn't thought of it, until I saw the post. But I thought, if there was a gay pride parade, why not a straight pride traditional family parade; but I think most people are so infected with political correctness that they would have the same reaction as you. I don't know how this is an "attack" since I specifically made it clear that no mean signs of any kind and parents of all races joyfull parading with their children. Your reaction saddens me. Political Correctness is rotting our collective brains; I couldn't imagine walking on eggshells thought my life, worried that I might not be p.c.
Before political correctness came into vogue, were the people in your town having "straight pride traditional family parades?"

Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
All the preachers gonna be yelling out its an 'obamanation'... wait...

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM

477 posts, read 840,541 times
Looking at the poll, the OP received a clear answer. That should do it. I would suggest to close this thread because nobody here is going to change their minds anyway.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 PM

117 posts, read 241,956 times
Quote:
Would you participate if Downtown Greenville had one? Thanks
Definitely!

Although there are several parades that already do something similar, such as the one in the fall, where all the food makers from around the area show up and they have live music, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Its not necessary. If gay marriage was allowed then gay pride would be unnecesary
Back in the day, a long time ago, marriage between same sex couples was not something the gay community even looked as a goal. The whole idea was to get acceptance from the world and of course, show the world how many gay people there were out there and show them that you were not afraid of the world knowing

Quote:
Explain equality to me and how having a gay pride makes one more or less equal. As I stated in another post, fat people, ugly people, nerds, Christians, etc. all get mocked and made fun of; should they have "pride parades"? Why are gay people special? I feel that the liberal mindset is that homosexuals are feeble victims in need of some special protection. Gays are just like straights in every way, shape and form except sexual preference and I think they should be treated equally not specially.
I will be more than happy to explain it to you. You are obviously straight so you have no idea about the kind of burden or repercussions people go through life because they are gay. If you have never been made fun of, spit on, beat up, discriminated against simply because of who you are, then you wouldn't understand it. My family disowned my uncle for being gay at age 14 and kicked him out into the streets because it was unacceptable that he was gay. We've never heard from him again.

Back in the day when it all started, very few people showed up, because they were afraid. The parade is not so we get equal rights. It's about showing the world that we are here and we co-exist with them. It's about being able to tell people you are gay without being terrified of what your coworkers, family and/or people in general will say about you or treat you. It's to show that you are gay and that you are proud of it and you don't have to hide under a rock because you are gay.

I am going to be honest and say that if I had a choice, I would have preferred to be straight. Have a wife, kids and house with the white picket fence... yes, no one bothers you then; instead I am gay and while I'm happy, it has been so very hard with the bullying, the having to hide it all time so I don't get disowned or beat up. Well, no more. I don't care anymore and that's what pride is all about... Yes, in a way it is about same-sex marriage but it mostly geared to show people who has judgments against us that we don't care and we are going to live our life, whether you like it or not.

RedJohn

Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
History of violence against gays:

History of violence against LGBT people in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's the history of the Stonewall Riots and how they relate to Gay Pride parades:

Stonewall riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There have been a number of incidents over the years here in Chicago of groups of thugs cruising Boys Town looking for gays to beat up. Maybe those were all drug deals gone bad, too.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 AM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
It's ok, every group thinks every other group is going to hell for eternity , where parades don't end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area