Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 AM

144 posts, read 140,033 times

Advertisements

Now I get confused: thouht I need a checking account, what are saving, debit, credit accounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
Now I get confused: thouht I need a checking account, what are saving, debit, credit accounts?
No, you still need at least a checking account. Debit cards are used like credit cards but they draw from your checking account. You can also link your debit card to a savings account and can also get cash from your savings account at an ATM. However, savings accounts aren't much better than checking accounts anymore since they usually pay next to nothing in interest. The best thing about a savings account is that it's less convenient to withdraw money from, so it can be a way to stash a bit of money that you don't want to touch except in an emergency.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
No, you still need at least a checking account. Debit cards are used like credit cards but they draw from your checking account. You can also link your debit card to a savings account and can also get cash from your savings account at an ATM. However, savings accounts aren't much better than checking accounts anymore since they usually pay next to nothing in interest. The best thing about a savings account is that it's less convenient to withdraw money from, so it can be a way to stash a bit of money that you don't want to touch except in an emergency.
At the moment I have a Visa card, cause I need it when I want to buy stuff online, if I can use my checking card that purpose I don't even need a debit card, but I'm not sure how it works in the US.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 AM

98 posts, read 218,076 times
We use TD Bank. They refund any non-TD ATM fees if you have $2,500 in your checking account. Their savings account has a higher interest rate than most local brick and mortar banks and they have a ton of locations around Greenville. They are also open in the evenings and on the weekend. I travel a lot during the week so being able to do banking on Saturday morning was a big plus for me. The mobile app is OK (not great) but you can deposit checks on it if you want.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 AM

607 posts, read 1,401,876 times
Personally, I would never use my debit card online. It would be too easy to have my checking account wiped out if there was a breach in security.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Credit cards are a safer way to buy online. They often double a warranty and will stand behind you if there is a dispute.

You have to watch the account though and report any discrepancies. Mine is set up to email me when a transaction occurs.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Would prefer a non local bank and one with no fees.

Checked: findthebest and all major banks like Wells Fargo, HSBC, Bank of America, Chase... don't rank too well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area