Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:36 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,595,977 times

Advertisements

The old Sonic is still there after there closed it on Whte Horse RD Berea SC miss eat there it was good does anybody know what will happen to it I would like to it torn down and put a Skins Hot dog or a Litlle Pigs BQQ in there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Sonic was good at one time. Three locations, Highway 153, Greenville; White Horse Road, Greenville; and Wade Hampton Boulevard, Taylors closed for various reasons. I know the Taylors location had food quality and service issues evident of a low performing store.

Fast food in the White Horse Road area has not done well with Jack in the Box and Wendy's closing several years ago.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
There's nothing that can really go in the existing buildings.. Maybe with, relatively, minor modifications, you could turn one into a double-drive thru like Checkers/Chik-Fil-A/Cookout. Otherwise, you're building fresh.

That's probably also why at the corner of Woodruff and Roper Mountain Rd there's that old "Speedy" drive thru or whatever that's been (mostly) dozed and looks like something out of "Life After People"

that'd be a suck location no matter what, because you couldn't get into it coming from the Laurens Rd direction, which also probably adds to why the property hasn't had anything done with it..

Does anyone remember when that was open and for how long? It seems I recall it being built in the late 90's, and only being open for 6 months or so. But I could be very wrong about that.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM

A cookout would nice to have thee food is good

Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's probably also why at the corner of Woodruff and Roper Mountain Rd there's that old "Speedy" drive thru or whatever that's been (mostly) dozed and looks like something out of "Life After People"

that'd be a suck location no matter what, because you couldn't get into it coming from the Laurens Rd direction, which also probably adds to why the property hasn't had anything done with it..

Does anyone remember when that was open and for how long? It seems I recall it being built in the late 90's, and only being open for 6 months or so. But I could be very wrong about that.
I recall it being Jerry's. It had a curb service concept like Sonic. Yes, it was open briefly.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 AM

I do recall Jerry's does anybody know what's going in the empty lot where it use to be I would like see a Timberland store there or a Roy Rogers also for the old Sonic on Whitehorse Rd still like to see a cookout

Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
I do recall Jerry's does anybody know what's going in the empty lot where it use to be I would like see a Timberland store there or a Roy Rogers also for the old Sonic on Whitehorse Rd still like to see a cookout
If you want to see Cook-Out, the former Sonic would need to be demolished. It is not made for dine-in.

Roy Rogers is not coming to Greenville anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If you want to see Cook-Out, the former Sonic would need to be demolished. It is not made for dine-in.

Roy Rogers is now successfully expanding again in Virginia and Maryland. But it would be nice to see a franchisee open a store here. In recent years, out of state concepts have done just that, even though it seemed unlikely. Jack in the Box expanded clear across the country from California and Texas. Culver's came from the Midwest, when previously their closest store was in Kentucky. So it could happen. But it would have been nice if Hardee's had converted some of their stores to Roy Rogers back when they were co-owned, as Roy Rogers had better food quality. But they did introduce Roy Rogers fried chicken to the Hardee's menu. Although it was removed when Carl's Jr. took over. Today a former Marriott franchisee is operating Roy Rogers after the failed Hardee's merger. They tried converting all of the Roy Rogers in the Northeast to Hardee's and it failed miserably, as the stores were reconverted back to Roy's and eventually sold. Now they are seeking franchise partners to expand again.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Yeh I would the Sonic torn down and put a cookout there

Old 03-29-2014, 12:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

I have seen cookouts in charlotte that are not dine in, definitely old checkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area