Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM

11,690 posts, read 24,692,680 times

Advertisements

Here you go: County of Greenville, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 PM

21,007 posts, read 27,075,551 times
The scope of work on some routes listed is incorrectly listed as "widen to three lanes." These routes in question are highly traveled. Long-term plans specify five lanes with the addition of bicycle lanes:
  • Grove Road from White Horse Road to West Faris Road
  • Brushy Creek Road from Old Spartanburg Road to South Buncombe Road
  • West Georgia Road from Neely Ferry Road to East Standing Springs Road
  • East Butler Road from Holland Road to Woodruff Road

Whoever makes these lists should consider living in Greenville County and travel these routes on a daily basis. They will clearly see the proper reasoning.

Let us consider other routes:
  • SC-14 from Pelham Road/North Batesville Road to SC-417: Widen to four lanes with planted medians and bicycle lanes
  • SC-417 (East Curtis Street/East Georgia Road/Lee Vaughn Road) from Simpsonville to Woodruff Road (SC-146): widen to five lanes with bicycle lanes
  • East Butler Road from Main Street (US-276) to Bridges Road: widen to five lanes with bicycle lanes
  • East North Street from East Stone Avenue (US-276) to White Oak Drive: improve corridor by creating four lane divided boulevard with planted medians and bicycle lanes
  • Locust Hill Road (SC-290) from SC-101 to US-25: widen to five lanes with bicycle lanes
  • North Batesville Road from SC-14 to Woodruff Road (SC-146): Widen to five lanes with bicycle lanes
  • West Georgia Road from East Standing Springs Road to Augusta Road (US-25): widen to five lanes with bicycle lanes

Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 AM

825 posts, read 1,118,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Let us consider other routes:
  • North Batesville Road from SC-14 to Woodruff Road (SC-146): Widen to five lanes with bicycle lanes

I believe the state and/or GPATs had already allocated funds to widen Batesville from SC 14 to Roper Mountain to 3 lanes with new traffic lights at key intersections so it was excluded from the project list.

I haven't had a full chance to look over everything. It would be nice if the resurfacing list had date ranges to go along with the season. The fact that Scuffletown Rd and seems to be so far down on the list is a bit disappointing to me. Maybe there are roads worse off, but parts of it are in sad shape.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,075,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I believe the state and/or GPATs had already allocated funds to widen Batesville from SC 14 to Roper Mountain to 3 lanes with new traffic lights at key intersections so it was excluded from the project list.

I haven't had a full chance to look over everything. It would be nice if the resurfacing list had date ranges to go along with the season. The fact that Scuffletown Rd and seems to be so far down on the list is a bit disappointing to me. Maybe there are roads worse off, but parts of it are in sad shape.
Widening a road to three lanes is not really widening a road. It is adding a turn lane. I think someone was severely shortsighted when planning the road.

Intersections at Pelham Falls Drive, Anderson Ridge Road and Roper Mountain Road will become signalized.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,642,664 times
They need to also think of adding a road parallel to the North of Woodruff Road. It could run from Garlington Road to Bagwell Road. It would take some creative engineering past Feaster Road but it could connect all of those businesses to serve the same purpose as the proposed parallel road. Better to do it now while it isn't built up.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Also, I hope when they are saying realignment of Salters Road they are meaning to realign Salters to connect directly to the Mall Connector Road. That way people going from the Mall to Woodruff Road might not need to get on Woodruff Road at all.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Some interesting tidbits from the report:

Quote:
The SCDOT maintains 1,471 centerline miles of roads in Greenville County, which equates to approximately 3,700 lane miles. Given the current funding for resurfacing programs, each road will be resurfaced on an 83 year cycle. The SCDOT estimates that 68.5% of the road surfaces in Greenville County are rated as poor to very poor condition.
I guess many of the state roads are going to continue to crumble.

Quote:
In 1987 the General Assembly authorized the SC Fuel Tax and set the rate at 16.8 cents per gallon. The state gas tax has not been raised since its inception and is the fourth lowest in the nation while the SCDOT is the fourth largest in the nation. Most states have reduced their number of DOT miles by transferring ownership to local entities. Of the 16.8 cents per gallon gas tax paid by Greenville drivers, approximately 4 cents is returned to Greenville for road improvements. Greenville is considered a donor county.
Seems like Greenville is getting hosed here. While I expected Greenville to be a donor county given its population getting only 25% of the money back is awful. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how the gas tax money is distributed throughout the state.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Widening a road to three lanes is not really widening a road. It is adding a turn lane. I think someone was severely shortsighted when planning the road.

Intersections at Pelham Falls Drive, Anderson Ridge Road and Roper Mountain Road will become signalized.
Agreed, but its turning traffic and the four way stop at Roper Mtn, that causes almost of the slow downs on Batesville. Taking it out to 4-5 lanes would be nice, but only so much money to go around. Acquiring the right of ways on certain parts of that road would be pretty pricey if going out to four lanes.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,268,340 times
Quote:
each road will be resurfaced on an 83 year cycle

That seems insane to me. Aren't most roads designed to last ~ 20 years?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
That seems insane to me. Aren't most roads designed to last ~ 20 years?
Yeah its something like that. Depends on a number of factors. But I seriously doubt most of roads around here are designed to last much beyond on that. German autobahns that have something like 2 ft asphalt depth and last a long time, but not 80+ years. Obviously not a completely accurate comparison, but no way any of the roads around were designed to last that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area