Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 AM

72 posts, read 76,598 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I want to start hiking some on weekends. Are there any hiking trails along ridges with some views in SC? Paris Mountain was disappointing from that standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Have you tried Caesar Head? If you go a little further down into NC, Triple Falls and Hooker Falls are really nice.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Have you tried Caesar Head? If you go a little further down into NC, Triple Falls and Hooker Falls are really nice.
I've been to Ceasar's head but only to the Overlook. I never heard of the other two but was hoping to find something a little closer. We might try to get out to Jumping Off Rock with the overlook of Lake Keowee and walk around out there.

I have bad knees so I don't want anything too up and down. I walked up the trail to top of Table Rock a few years ago and that was brutal on my knees.

You have a good screenname by the way.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:29 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
With bad knees you will waste your time at caesars head. I've hiked a lot and that is one of the steepest trails ever. Jones gap doesn't have views as it follows the river basin but it's a gorgeous place ( in fact jones gap and Caesars head are the same trail system but when you leave from Caesars it's all down hill then back up whereas a you start at the bottom at jones gap). Believe it or not the wahalla fish hatchery has a few fun trails.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
With bad knees you will waste your time at caesars head. I've hiked a lot and that is one of the steepest trails ever. Jones gap doesn't have views as it follows the river basin but it's a gorgeous place ( in fact jones gap and Caesars head are the same trail system but when you leave from Caesars it's all down hill then back up whereas a you start at the bottom at jones gap). Believe it or not the wahalla fish hatchery has a few fun trails.
Yeah I don't remember any ridge trails with some views at Jones Gap. I may go up to the Wahalla one tomorrow and check it out. Have you ever been to the Jumping Off Rock thing, overlook of Keowee? Looks like the road to get to it might be tough for my Honda Civic. I wish they put Paris Mountin state park at the top of the mountain. It is a good state park but it could have been better.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckygib View Post
Yeah I don't remember any ridge trails with some views at Jones Gap. I may go up to the Wahalla one tomorrow and check it. ut. Have you ever been to the Jumping Off Rock thing, overlook of Keowee? Looks like the road to get to it might be tough for my Honda Civic. I wish they put Paris Mountin state park at the top of the mountain. It is a good state park but it could have been better.
You might be able to get there in a Civic but I wouldn't recommend it. There also isn't much hiking at the overlook there. If you follow that road further, it does drop down to Laurel Fork Falls which is an easy hike. Most ridge trails with views are going to involve hiking up and down hills.

The Caesar's Head overlook is good with an easy walk. Sassafras Mountain has a nice overlook and that connects to trails. If you head to the fish hatchery, there is a great overlook on the road connecting SC 107 to SC 130 that heads over to whitewater falls.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
It may not offer any views from far distances, but the Chesnut Ridge Heritage Preserve on Oak Grove Road, off South Carolina 11, in northeastern Greenville County is very nice.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It may not offer any views from far distances, but the Chesnut Ridge Heritage Preserve on Oak Grove Road, off South Carolina 11, in northeastern Greenville County is very nice.
Knight,

Thank you, never heard of that one.

Hopefully hiking some wiill help build up my quad strength and in turn help with my old woman knees. That was my doctor's theory but I'm skeptical it will work. lol

Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
You might be able to get there in a Civic but I wouldn't recommend it. There also isn't much hiking at the overlook there. If you follow that road further, it does drop down to Laurel Fork Falls which is an easy hike. Most ridge trails with views are going to involve hiking up and down hills.

The Caesar's Head overlook is good with an easy walk. Sassafras Mountain has a nice overlook and that connects to trails. If you head to the fish hatchery, there is a great overlook on the road connecting SC 107 to SC 130 that heads over to whitewater falls.
Vol

thank you for your suggestions

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 PM

131 posts, read 214,398 times
Hiking from Caesars Head towards Jones Gap will put you on some nice ridgelines. The terrain can get steep in places but it isn't too bad if you don't go too far. Get the map, it is very useful.

You should try hiking at DuPont. While there are not many ridgelines that you can access easily, you can get to some of the waterfalls quickly, especially from the Buck Forest parking lot. The trails at this point are mostly gravel service roads which would be easier on your knees.

If your goal is to get your legs in shape so you have better knee strength, focus on the exercise, not the view. The view will come later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area