U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM

19,410 posts, read 17,178,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
With a large, fairly new distribution center in Anderson, I would question the need for another one in Spartanburg. I'd think it would be likely that they revisit the plan there. Of course, some of that may depend on how far along they are with construction and how ironclad the agreements are around building that distribution center in Spartanburg.

Walgreens has another distribution center in Georgia and two in Florida, so they already have strong coverage in the southeast. If anything, I could see them reconsider the closing of the center in West Virginia.
Construction of Rite Aid's distribution center is well underway. It should be completed in December or January 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:57 AM

11,493 posts, read 25,746,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Construction of Rite Aid's distribution center is well underway. It should be completed in December or January 2016.
Wow, I just saw this: Walgreens buys Rite Aid in $17.2 billion deal - Oct. 27, 2015

Old 10-28-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I think many Rite Aid stores in close proximity to Walgreen's stores will be up for closure. The transaction will have to be approved by the Federal Trade Commission.

Rite Aid has struggled for years against CVS and Walgreen's. I wonder if the acquisition of Eckerd was successful.
I guess I was behind on this one but sadly, I can only agree.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Not that big a deal here. Only a tiny handful of Rite Aid counters left in Greenville area anyway . Walgreens will probably just close them down and put the buildings up for lease to other retailers here. I would imagine Save-A-Lot may have an interest in keeping them as solely Save-A-Lot. Rite Aid only has an aisle or 2 in those cobranded stores anyway.

The North Main Store is about the only one I would think Walgreens would want to convert to a full fledged Walgreens store to have a DT presence.
I hope that Save-A-Lot still keeps the store and expands to a full size store like the one on Whitehorse Rd.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,739,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I hope that Save-A-Lot still keeps the store and expands to a full size store like the one on Whitehorse Rd.
They may. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Walgreens convert that Rite Aid store across from the new Stone&Main development and give it a more modern upscale exterior.

I always thought the old Baby BI-LO would be a better fit for a small grocer like Save-A-Lot. Never the less, with a major grocer coming to the Northpointe development a little further down Stone it looks like the grocery needs of North Main will be met in the near future.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 5,849,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Ditto for the one on Wade Hampton in Greer. I've been wondering how the Rite-Aide acroos from the new Aldis would do, and wonder if they convert it to Save-A-Lot, how they would fair as well.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM

3,257 posts, read 3,979,798 times
Walgreenś plans to keep the Rite Aid name on the stores for now, but i would suspect that will eventually be converted over to Walgreenś. They have kept the Duane Read name in the NYC metro area, however they have added a smaller Walgreenś name to the signage there.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:58 PM

3,257 posts, read 3,979,798 times
Quote:
I think many Rite Aid stores in close proximity to Walgreen's stores will be up for closure. The transaction will have to be approved by the Federal Trade Commission.

Rite Aid has struggled for years against CVS and Walgreen's. I wonder if the acquisition of Eckerd was successful.
Rite Aid seemed to have difficulty maintaining the customer loyalty from Eckerd, and business apparently declined. Perhaps if they had kept the established Eckerd brand in southern markets things would have worked out better. But apparently they were being squeezed by CVS and Walgreenś in the Northeast as well, despite the Rite Aid brand being more established in that region.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 5,849,551 times
There's a Walgreens within a few hundred feet of the RI in Greer on WH. I hope they convert it to a Save-A-Lot. I think it would benefit from being right across from Aldi, and it would sure be better than having another empty building along WH. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
There's a Walgreens within a few hundred feet of the RI in Greer on WH. I hope they convert it to a Save-A-Lot. I think it would benefit from being right across from Aldi, and it would sure be better than having another empty building along WH. Just my 2 cents.
I was concerned with Aldi coming in and being right next door to Save-A-Lot. I like them right next to each other but I just can't help to think that won't work. Now, another location on Wade Hampton would be an option if that's the case.

I think the one on WH in Greenville is a good location though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area