U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 06:18 AM

19,410 posts, read 17,178,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Don't be surprised if HT ends up with the Lowes Foods locations. Lowes entry into the upstate market is questionable at best. ESP in the areas announced / under construction. Time will tell. I was a fan of Lowes when I lived in Banner Elk, but my alternative was Food Lion.
Lowe's Foods failed in the Charlotte area. Expanding into adjacent regions after failing in a region is not the best decision.

The Greenville County market has enough supermarket participants presently with Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Ingle's, Publix, and Walmart Neighborhood Market. Weaker participants will depart and/or close stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 01:13 PM

150 posts, read 107,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lowe's Foods failed in the Charlotte area. Expanding into adjacent regions after failing in a region is not the best decision.

The Greenville County market has enough supermarket participants presently with Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Ingle's, Publix, and Walmart Neighborhood Market. Weaker participants will depart and/or close stores.
I think if Lowe's Foods is smart with their locations, they will succeed. I think that first store near Riverside HS will do very well. It is surrounded by neighborhoods filled with the demographics they need to be successful.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:08 PM

6,100 posts, read 3,220,242 times
anybody know the projected open for business date for HT on Augusta?

Old 06-04-2016, 04:08 PM

667 posts, read 846,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
It was a Charlotte Developer and it was reported by several news outlets including the TV stations. I personally saw it on WSPA. Who else would it have been?
Cool your jets, VT. Yes, the proposed development was widely reported - even on WSPA. And, yes, it was a Charlotte developer - not only that but it was MPV Properties, known for having developed a bunch of other properties anchored by HT.

However, the only statement I've ever seen that seemed to confirm it to be Harris Teeter was made by you, right here in these City-Data forums. To the best of my knowledge, it was never announced officially anywhere else as being a HT (not even on WSPA). In fact, Steve Vermilion of MPV Properties was even quoted by SCNow Morning News as saying he did not have a deal to bring a Harris Teeter to the Woodruff Road property (not that such a statement is definitive proof in itself).

You may indeed have had confidential information to support your statement regarding HT, as you often seem to do, but it was never revealed publicly. And all that is moot, anyway, as the property remains in the hands of Stonemor Partners, owners of Graceland East Memorial Park, until such times as someone else comes up with a viable plan.

Quote:
It's strange to me that everyone wants to stop a commercial development on that corner because of increased traffic yet a neighborhood grocery anchored center is probably only going to attract local residents that will be passing through that intersection anyway.
Actually, I, for one, would have been rather happy to have a Harris Teeter nearby, as then I would have been able to do my grocery shopping without encountering a single stop light. I've missed Harris Teeter ever since they departed the Upstate market man years ago.

Quote:
Was there any opposition to the neighborhood going up next door because to me that is what will increase the traffic.
Development is inevitable. People just need to get over it.

(Edited to insert missing word and correct typo.)

Old 06-04-2016, 08:41 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,739,503 times
Quote:
WSPA reported on their 11pm newscast tonight possible new grocery anchored center near 14 and Woodruff Rd by a Charlotte developer. Looked very nice and upscale with fountain in front from the rendering.
Quote:
It is the same corner as Graceland and it is Harris Teeter The vacant property bordering Woodruff and 14 is not part of or owned by the cemetery apparently.
Don't see why they don't work with the developer and do something nice. That property is too valuable to sit empty. Something will eventually get built there. Neighbors organizing to fight development next to cemetery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Cool your jets, VT. Yes, the proposed development was widely reported - even on WSPA. And, yes, it was a Charlotte developer - not only that but it was MPV Properties, known for having developed a bunch of other properties anchored by HT.

However, the only statement I've ever seen that seemed to confirm it to be Harris Teeter was made by you, right here in these City-Data forums. To the best of my knowledge, it was never announced officially anywhere else as being a HT (not even on WSPA). In fact, Steve Vermilion of MPV Properties was even quoted by SCNow Morning News as saying he did not have a deal to bring a Harris Teeter to the Woodruff Road property (not that such a statement is definitive proof in itself).

You may indeed have had confidential information to support your statement regarding HT, as you often seem to do, but it was never revealed publicly. And all that is moot, anyway, as the property remains in the hands of Stonemor Partners, owners of Graceland East Memorial Park, until such times as someone else comes up with a viable plan.

(Edited to insert missing word and correct typo.)
I referred to the WSPA story in Post #60 of this thread last year. I was incorrect yesterday about the name coming from them. Yes I did confirm that it was HT in post #64 last year after watching the video (I linked from GreenvilleOnline in that post) where the resident being interviewed said it was Harris Teeter.

Neighbors organizing to fight development next to cemetery

Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 5,849,551 times
I was just telling my Mom about the progress of the Lowes, though she's never heard about them. After I read her an article (2013) about all they were doing at one of the revamped stores in NC, she's hoping they will open the Greer location while they are in Hendersonville during the summer.

The Lowes concept I've been reading of sounds like a Wegman's type of store which I wish would come to SC - one can only hope! Hey, we got Abbott's!!

I can't wait to see what the store in Greer is going to look like. Does anyone know the projected date of opening???

Old 06-05-2016, 04:15 PM

667 posts, read 846,733 times
Quote:
I referred to the WSPA story in Post #60 of this thread last year. I was incorrect yesterday about the name coming from them. Yes I did confirm that it was HT in post #64 last year after watching the video (I linked from GreenvilleOnline in that post) where the resident being interviewed said it was Harris Teeter.

Thank you for supporting my argument.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM

19,410 posts, read 17,178,216 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Thank you for supporting my argument.
I think this proposed grocery-anchored retail center in front of Graceland East Memorial Park is a good idea. The developer appears to have taken into serious consideration the surrounding area. The Woodruff Road corridor has become commercialized and has adapted to increased traffic over the years. Another retail center is not going to make much of an impact.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 06-05-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 05:55 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,717,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
There was a post recently on this forum stating the Greenville Trader Joe's is just meeting expectations (of course, take any forum information with a grain of salt - I imagine a sizable percentage of previous business was from Western NC residents - a new TJ's recently opened in Asheville) - based on this, I wouldn't expect TJ's to expand in the Upstate anytime in the future
It's in a terrible location on a terrible part of Woodruff Rd. Who wants to get into that mess to purchase groceries?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:44 PM

3,257 posts, read 3,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I was just telling my Mom about the progress of the Lowes, though she's never heard about them. After I read her an article (2013) about all they were doing at one of the revamped stores in NC, she's hoping they will open the Greer location while they are in Hendersonville during the summer.

The Lowes concept I've been reading of sounds like a Wegman's type of store which I wish would come to SC - one can only hope! Hey, we got Abbott's!!

I can't wait to see what the store in Greer is going to look like. Does anyone know the projected date of opening???
Wegman's is reportedly planning 2 locations in the Raleigh area in NC, as they are expanding from Virginia. It remains to be seen whether they will move further south into Charlotte. But if that happens, then perhaps they would consider Greenville, SC. Meanwhile, Harris Teeter is planning larger marketplace type stores of 85,000 square feet which are more similar to Wegman's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area