U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 05:34 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,639,280 times

Advertisements

We shop at that Publix even though we live a mile from Bi-lo. I only go to Bi-lo if I need something quickly. Interestingly, there is one time there that I cannot find at any other grocery store- seeded grapes. Now Costco is carrying them too, but only in 2.5 lb packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 AM

205 posts, read 286,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am hearing associates are being offered opportunities to transfer to other stores. Associates transferring to other stores is a reason a supermarket is closing.
no doubt. Bi Lo is a dead chain walking. Transfers like that are the canary in the coal mine.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 AM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
BI-LO has struggled since being divested by Ahold. After acquiring Winn-Dixie and hiring Ian McLeod as Chief Executive Officer, Southeastern Grocers has spiraled downward. I see select quality stores being divested to a competing supermarket participant, and other non-quality stores closing.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:34 PM

4,539 posts, read 5,826,922 times
My BF just told me that the BI-LO in Newberry, SC is now a Harvey's as of today. Never heard of them before, but seems the have stores scattered around the area. Wonder if they could take over some/any of the stores that may close around here?

I hope they've given that store a make-over, as it surely needs some help, in many ways!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:02 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,728,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My BF just told me that the BI-LO in Newberry, SC is now a Harvey's as of today. Never heard of them before, but seems the have stores scattered around the area. Wonder if they could take over some/any of the stores that may close around here?

I hope they've given that store a make-over, as it surely needs some help, in many ways!
Harvey's is just a division and owned by BI-LO/Winn Dixie(Southeastern Grocers). Heavy on the store brands and 1$ items. I guess it is suppose to appeal to more rural areas with less average income.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Harvey's is just a division and owned by BI-LO/Winn Dixie(Southeastern Grocers). Heavy on the store brands and 1$ items. I guess it is suppose to appeal to more rural areas with less average income.

Well, that would be Newberry. They left the store in Prosperity, where the BF actually lives and where it seems more rural to me, but looking at the income level, it's actually higher. I guess those living on Lake Murray must contribute to that higher income.

Thanks for letting me know it's the same company, appreciate the info!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:52 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,728,337 times
More info on the BI-LO to Harvey's conversions. According to this article the BI-LO store count is down to around 125 with these conversions. Bi-Lo converts 3 Columbia stores to Harveys Supermarkets | The State

Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 PM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Harvey's Supermarket is a banner, not a division, of Southeastern Grocers. It is possible to have regions and districts with two or more banners.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 1,626 times
On 11-3-2016 I wrote that there had been a Kroger store at a small shopping center on South Pleasantburg and E. Faris Road. I'm certain it was there in early 1973 when we moved from Smyrna, Ga to Greenville. The Kroger faced toward Greenville Tech. I don't think my memory is defective. It may have been the only Kroger in Greenville, but I don't know. They did close and I believe Bi-Lo moved later into that location. This was a few decades before Bloom stores even came to town. I may be getting older, but some things I do remember.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Woody View Post
On 11-3-2016 I wrote that there had been a Kroger store at a small shopping center on South Pleasantburg and E. Faris Road. I'm certain it was there in early 1973 when we moved from Smyrna, Ga to Greenville. The Kroger faced toward Greenville Tech. I don't think my memory is defective. It may have been the only Kroger in Greenville, but I don't know. They did close and I believe Bi-Lo moved later into that location. This was a few decades before Bloom stores even came to town. I may be getting older, but some things I do remember.
From Wikipedia:

Kroger had a store in Greenville from the 1980s until 2010 when it sold it to Harris Teeter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area