Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 04:26 PM

5,120 posts, read 7,242,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter had different ownership indeed. Under Kroger's ownership, I would not be announcing a re-entry into the market, announce two store locations, not begin construction on either store, and be inactive searching for additional store locations. What is Harris Teeter doing? It has not begun construction on its two announced stores, specifically store 420 at Lewis Plaza, and has not announced any additional store locations. I can understand a delay if Kroger is in the process of acquiring an existing supermarket participant that would have minimal overlap with Harris Teeter. At the present, it seems Harris Teeter has not learned from its first stint.

Aldi at 2902 North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29609-3733, should open later in 2017.
I think various zoning and regulatory issues may have delayed the Harris Teeter projects, as both Northpointe and Lewis Plaza are major redevelopments of their chosen locations. And supposedly Harris Teeter was interested in a site along the Woodruff Rd. corridor, but the rezoning approval was apparently denied. And it is unknown if Kroger is interested in acquiring an existing competitor to infill the Upstate region, but the obvious choices of Bi-Lo or Ingle's may not be currently interested in a sale. And Kroger knows how to compete successfully against Publix in Georgia, so they should have a competitive plan in mind for the Upstate market. Time will tell, but they do seem to be moving a bit slower than expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:09 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
I do not see BI-LO being acquired by Kroger. Many BI-LO stores have closed and are in the process of closing. I am hearing speculation Southeastern Grocers could be divested to Albertson's. Changes would occur at BI-LO. Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie if that transaction is realized.

Ingle's stores have similarities with Harris Teeter and Kroger stores and have minimal overlap with each other.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I do not see BI-LO being acquired by Kroger. Many BI-LO stores have closed and are in the process of closing. I am hearing speculation Southeastern Grocers could be divested to Albertson's. Changes would occur at BI-LO. Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie if that transaction is realized.

Ingle's stores have similarities with Harris Teeter and Kroger stores and have minimal overlap with each other.
What would Albertson's do with BI-LO and Winn-Dixie? Would they convert to Safeway or Albertson's namesake brand? Or do the BI-LO and Winn-Dixie brands still have value?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Albertson's three remaining Florida stores converted to Safeway. It has stores in Louisiana (Albertson's) and Virginia (Safeway).

I think BI-LO and Winn-Dixie have ran their courses. Neither can compete against Kroger, Publix, and Walmart. If they were acquired by Albertson's, stores would be divested or closed, and remaining stores would convert to Albertson's (Louisiana) or Safeway.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Albertson's three remaining Florida stores converted to Safeway. It has stores in Louisiana (Albertson's) and Virginia (Safeway).

I think BI-LO and Winn-Dixie have ran their courses. Neither can compete against Kroger, Publix, and Walmart. If they were acquired by Albertson's, stores would be divested or closed, and remaining stores would convert to Albertson's (Louisiana) or Safeway.
Do they still have Safeway locations in Maryland? I believe Giant-Landover tends to dominate in the Mid Atlantic region, and Harris Teeter has also entered the market.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM

Yes, Safeway has stores in Maryland.

Giant-Landover is dominant in Maryland and northern Virginia.

Harris Teeter is active further expanding into Maryland and has stores in Delaware. I do not know if it is in position to enter Pennsylvania.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,726,705 times
I am hearing that Lowes Foods is going into the new development across from the Publix Shopping Center near Furman.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,905,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I am hearing that Lowes Foods is going into the new development across from the Publix Shopping Center near Furman.
I posted a link to the retail subdivision and grocery layout for Poinsett Commons (in the Mosby Poinsett Apartment thread below) and its comparison to the Lowes layout at Five Forks:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...-carolina.html

Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Supermarket BI-LO is dropping the Bonuscard and Fuelperks program in favor of Plenti.

Further reading
Limon, Janice. "BI-LO Bonus Card program ending in days, company says." Greenville, South Carolina: WYFF-TV. 16 March 2017.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,905,191 times
Quote:
Supermarket BI-LO is dropping the Bonuscard and Fuelperks program in favor of Plenti.

Further reading
Limon, Janice. "BI-LO Bonus Card program ending in days, company says." Greenville, South Carolina: WYFF-TV. 16 March 2017.
Things must be getting really tight. Another reason not to go there.

I don't get the point of Plenti. Have one and seems worthless IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area