Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ingle's has been consistent with its fuel reward program. Points are earned on the Advantage card for filling prescriptions and buying items in store, then they are redeemed at Ingle's Gas Express.
The only issue I ever had with Ingles is that they don't have diesel at any of the locations that I ever used, so I could never use the points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:31 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The only issue I ever had with Ingles is that they don't have diesel at any of the locations that I ever used, so I could never use the points.
Laurens did at one time, but I think they stopped selling it there.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The Ingle's Gas Express locations I use in Greenville and Spartanburg counties have diesel.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:50 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
I'm hearing that the Lowe's Foods novelty may be beginning to wear off. Conversations with family and friends indicate high prices and poor customer service, despite some nice amenities. And the general consensus that Publix remains the preference due to excellent customer service and a familiar feel to the nice clean stores. I still question the long term viability of Lowe's Foods after their defeat in Charlotte by Harris Teeter and the impending arrival of Publix. While Lowe's started strong, the novelty may now be wearing off and we will see if they can sustain themselves long term.

And I tried the fried chicken at Lowe's Foods. Pretty good but I still prefer Publix.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 AM

308 posts, read 270,151 times
The novelty of Lowe's wore off pretty quickly for myself and I've gone back to Publix. I thought the idea of a bar in the store was neat, but I could tell by it and Lowe's other food stations, e.g. sausage, that I ended with a higher bill. Add to it the frustration of being asked for my zip code when paying by credit card and I refuse to go back. Lowe's corporate even lied to me and said this was for my protection, when in fact they are just protecting themselves since their credit card readers do not accept chips yet. A few states have outlawed asking for zip codes at the register. After large retailers such as Target and Home Depot get hit with data breaches, I don't trust that any retailer is immune from one either.

In short, if you pay by credit card and are concerned with identity theft then stay away from Lowe's.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
The novelty of Lowe's wore off pretty quickly for myself and I've gone back to Publix. I thought the idea of a bar in the store was neat, but I could tell by it and Lowe's other food stations, e.g. sausage, that I ended with a higher bill. Add to it the frustration of being asked for my zip code when paying by credit card and I refuse to go back. Lowe's corporate even lied to me and said this was for my protection, when in fact they are just protecting themselves since their credit card readers do not accept chips yet. A few states have outlawed asking for zip codes at the register. After large retailers such as Target and Home Depot get hit with data breaches, I don't trust that any retailer is immune from one either.

In short, if you pay by credit card and are concerned with identity theft then stay away from Lowe's.

I thought hackers could get your address and zip off that magnetic strip regardless if you provide it to a retailer. Some gas stations like Walmart ask for it to at the pump. I don't have a problem with it as I have always thought its an extra protection to make sure it's me. They have it anyway. They are making sure it matches what your card reads.

Sorry but if I was that concerned I wouldn't use a credit card anywhere. I thought cards like Visa and MC are protected from fraud anyway if you get hit. Cash would be the answer.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM

308 posts, read 270,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I thought hackers could get your address and zip off that magnetic strip regardless if you provide it to a retailer. Some gas stations like Walmart ask for it to at the pump. I don't have a problem with it as I have always thought its an extra protection to make sure it's me. They have it anyway. They are making sure it matches what your card reads.

Sorry but if I was that concerned I wouldn't use a credit card anywhere. I thought cards like Visa and MC are protected from fraud anyway if you get hit. Cash would be the answer.
The magnetic stripe contains your account data for the bank to process a transaction, not your address, etc. Several states have outlawed asking for zip codes at the register:

Next Time a Retailer Asks for Your ZIP Code, Just Say No | TIME.com

Gas pumps are currently immune from this, but they are also set to convert to the chip readers in the next few years. Why Lowes does not have chip readers is their problem though. They may say asking for the zip code is for your protection, but it's really for theirs since the card issuers switched the fraud liability onto the merchant if they don't have chip readers now. They can ask for ID the old fashioned way, like Strossner's does. I don't trust how/if they're storing this information, especially if they're going to lie about why they're doing it in the first place.

I don't lose sleep over whether my card number is stolen. It's happened before; I simply get a new card and the fraudulent charges are credited back. What thieves are able to do with other personal information nowadays is scary though, and that's why I've started questioning when anyone asks for more of my information than they need.

And I know cash is the old standby, but you could always lose cash the old fashioned way

Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
The magnetic stripe contains your account data for the bank to process a transaction, not your address, etc. Several states have outlawed asking for zip codes at the register:

Next Time a Retailer Asks for Your ZIP Code, Just Say No | TIME.com

Gas pumps are currently immune from this, but they are also set to convert to the chip readers in the next few years. Why Lowes does not have chip readers is their problem though. They may say asking for the zip code is for your protection, but it's really for theirs since the card issuers switched the fraud liability onto the merchant if they don't have chip readers now. They can ask for ID the old fashioned way, like Strossner's does. I don't trust how/if they're storing this information, especially if they're going to lie about why they're doing it in the first place.
To be clear, there are two different methods of using the ZIP code with a CC transaction. AVS (address verification) is used commonly by fuel pumps, and by restaurants or retailers when the card can't be swiped. It's used similarly to how the CCV/CVN number on the back of the card is required when the card isn't being swiped through the system.

AVS is used to protect the merchant from fraudulent transactions, and to help keep the cost for processing non swiped cards reasonable.

If your card is swiped, or run through a chip reader, and they still want the ZIP code, then it's generally used for marketing.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Dare I say I have been pleased with Walmart Neighborhood Market lately. Go figure.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:01 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I'm hearing that the Lowe's Foods novelty may be beginning to wear off. Conversations with family and friends indicate high prices and poor customer service, despite some nice amenities. And the general consensus that Publix remains the preference due to excellent customer service and a familiar feel to the nice clean stores. I still question the long term viability of Lowe's Foods after their defeat in Charlotte by Harris Teeter and the impending arrival of Publix. While Lowe's started strong, the novelty may now be wearing off and we will see if they can sustain themselves long term.

And I tried the fried chicken at Lowe's Foods. Pretty good but I still prefer Publix.
I agree ( except for the fried chicken part ). I've always been a fan of the chain. No more. The customer service is non existent. Employees do no appear well trained. Lowe's may have out kicked their coverage with this expansion initiative. Beautiful stores, but I doubt their ability to operate them. Best case scenario is HT / Kroger does another deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area