U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 10:16 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
That is currently one of the nicest if not the nicest Ingles in Greenville Co already. Looks like some of the others need updating before that one to me. I don't get there priorities.
It is easier and quicker to improve Ingle's latest Greenville County stores first before addressing older stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM

10,354 posts, read 20,635,272 times
Publix in Taylors to get remodeled.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It is easier and quicker to improve Ingle's latest Greenville County stores first before addressing older stores.

Easier and quicker, yes.. But we both know that more should have been done for the old Disco Ingles down in Moonville. They pretty much polished a turd there. They just took the Disco out.

Not that they might not have had good reasons.. But I would suspect they own that entire property.. And while it would have been a hardship to demo and build new.. That's probably what should have been done.

I'd actually be curious.. You might know the answer to this... The Ingles in Abbeville. I can't quote the store number, but you likely can.. My memory is that new store was built sometime in the early 90's.. I'd put it at '92 or so. Built next to the old Ingles, which was a Disco Ingles, which I would say opened in the early to mid 70's.. What I can't understand is the focus on a small town like that.. Seems that would have been one of the last to be rebuilt. I'm curious if I'm even remotely close on my timeframes.. I do recall seeing a talking coke machine outside that store that blew me away when I was about 6 or so..

I was actually surprised that it appears the Bi-Lo in Abbeville closed, or converted to a Piggly Wiggly, which appears to have closed.. Didn't know that happened.. Haven't been back to the old hometown in a few years and haven't been out that way in a number of years.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,090,370 times
I suspect a lot of Abbeville residents shop at Ingles or one of the many choices in Greenwood (Walmart, Publix, Lidl, Aldi, Food Lion). That may have hurt Bi-LO and then Piggly Wiggly more than anything.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I suspect a lot of Abbeville residents shop at Ingles or one of the many choices in Greenwood (Walmart, Publix, Lidl, Aldi, Food Lion). That may have hurt Bi-LO and then Piggly Wiggly more than anything.

Considering that Ingles is now the only option that I can think of. There were three supermarkets when I was growing up. Ingles on (or near) the Due West Highway.. Winn-Dixie which was just off the town square, and Bi-Lo which was out by, what was then Pirelli (And had the cows on the roof)

Winn-Dixie I believe was the first to go to a new store, building next door to Ingles a Marketplace. That I presume pressured Ingles to upgrade their store.. And I think Bi-Lo opened their new store likely around the same time.

Winn-Dixie is now the library, I believe.. The old Ingles building is the post office and Bi Lo sits vacant.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Yes i remember that old small Winn Dixie on the hill there next to the square. My grandmother shopped there years ago.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:08 PM

This specialty grocery store/deli now in Greenwood is interesting too. I believe it had it's beginnings in Abbeville and had a small location on the square a few years ago. The food is great and is kind of there little version of a Fresh Market.

http://www.facebook.com/ThePantryShoppe/

Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Yes i remember that old small Winn Dixie on the hill there next to the square. My grandmother shopped there years ago.
Quote:
This specialty grocery store/deli now in Greenwood is interesting too. I believe it had it's beginnings in Abbeville and had a small location on the square a few years ago. The food is great and is kind of there little version of a Fresh Market.

http://www.facebook.com/ThePantryShoppe/

Scary.. Not a whole lot of people to reminisce about Abbeville here.. And, it's pushing it a touch to consider that upstate, but.. I think we can get away with a few posts before people start calling for our heads.

https://goo.gl/maps/Q2qA2Zj1jwco8suYA

That's the old Winn-Dixie. Astounding that grocery stores could be that small.

Way back in the day.. Somewhere around here.. I'd guess where the boutique is now.. Used to be a co-op grocery. https://goo.gl/maps/Wd5KR4Bq8JraGnTZA

If you spin around, more recently, where that "Red Barn Likker" is.. They had for a time in the 2000's a New Orleans themed restaurant there which was actually quite good.. I used to drive down and take my grandmother out to dinner on Sundays and if we didn't feel like going to Greenwood, that was often a place we'd go.

2 doors up, I think where the Visitors Center is now, used to be a bank.. Think it was SCNB..

Spin around a little more, Dendy Corner was a restaurant there on the square for many years.

Google map drives through your old hometown are interesting.. Looks like Buddy Reid has closed up shop. I bought my first car from him. He may have passed away. He'd be about 90 now if he's still alive.

Places like Savitz drug, I was surprised to see was still open. They used to be on the square and are now out by the hospital. In today's world and independent pharmacy is an oddity.. Sort of like Howard's in Simpsonville.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 PM

Very quaint and historic little town. I remember when the Julia Roberts movie "Sleeping with the Enemy" was filmed on that square in the early 90's. That was a big deal.

Always considered and called that whole area upstate and never midlands. Always included in and local weather forecasters on channels 4 and 7 refer to it as upstate from - Clinton, Laurens, Greenwood, Abbeville.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 3,215 times
Smile Well, that's cool.

Quote:
Very quaint and historic little town. I remember when the Julia Roberts movie "Sleeping with the Enemy" was filmed on that square in the early 90's. That was a big deal.

Always considered and called that whole area upstate and never midlands. Always included in and local weather forecasters on channels 4 and 7 refer to it as upstate from - Clinton, Laurens, Greenwood, Abbeville.
I learned something new today! Thanks for sharing the film history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area