Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times

Advertisements

Aldi #78 (100 Chalmers Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-1351) opens for business Wednesday, 28 October 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,657 times
Greer Aldi's opens up on the 29th I believe.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Greer Aldi's opens up on the 29th I believe.
Aldi #93 also opens Wednesday, 28 October. ("Aldi #93, West Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greer, South Carolina.")

Old 10-27-2015, 06:08 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,736 times
With the announcement that Walgreens is acquiring Rite-Aid, I suspect we will see the Save A Lot co-branded grocery departments at Rite Aid phased out.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
With the announcement that Walgreens is acquiring Rite-Aid, I suspect we will see the Save A Lot co-branded grocery departments at Rite Aid phased out.
I think many Rite Aid stores in close proximity to Walgreen's stores will be up for closure. The transaction will have to be approved by the Federal Trade Commission.

Rite Aid has struggled for years against CVS and Walgreen's. I wonder if the acquisition of Eckerd was successful.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think many Rite Aid stores in close proximity to Walgreen's stores will be up for closure. The transaction will have to be approved by the Federal Trade Commission.

Rite Aid has struggled for years against CVS and Walgreen's. I wonder if the acquisition of Eckerd was successful.
The acquisition of Eckerd was just the merger of two failed chains, which pretty much never works. It will be interesting to see how Walgreens swallows such a large and under-performing chain of stores.

I wonder what happens to the plans for the new Rite Aid DC? With Walgreen's major distribution center in Anderson, I can't imagine another would be needed in this state.

I worked for Walgreens many years ago when they were strongly opposed to any mergers and planned to only grow through the opening of new stores. A change in management has totally changed that philosophy and they have aggressively bought out other chains (Duane Reade, Kerr Drug, etc.). They are now under control of the leadership of the European chain that they bought out several years ago. This is really the first chain they have bought that I can think of that is so under-performing.

I would imagine that significant numbers of stores will need to be closed or sold to another chain to gain approval from the FTC.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:41 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The acquisition of Eckerd was just the merger of two failed chains, which pretty much never works. It will be interesting to see how Walgreens swallows such a large and under-performing chain of stores.

I wonder what happens to the plans for the new Rite Aid DC? With Walgreen's major distribution center in Anderson, I can't imagine another would be needed in this state.

I worked for Walgreens many years ago when they were strongly opposed to any mergers and planned to only grow through the opening of new stores. A change in management has totally changed that philosophy and they have aggressively bought out other chains (Duane Reade, Kerr Drug, etc.). They are now under control of the leadership of the European chain that they bought out several years ago. This is really the first chain they have bought that I can think of that is so under-performing.

I would imagine that significant numbers of stores will need to be closed or sold to another chain to gain approval from the FTC.
This transaction will keep Walgreens "busy" for the foreseeable future. Rite Aid's recent purchase of EnvisionRx has its own challenges. The good news, if there is any in these type transactions, is prime real estate locations opening up in some areas

Old 10-28-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post

Rite Aid's distribution center in Spartanburg is a consolidation of three distribution centers in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Poca, West Virginia. ("Rite Aid to Open Distribution Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina.") One distribution center would be in danger of closing if the acquisition is approved.

If there are stores that need to be divested, I do not see CVS taking on many locations. There are several trade areas in and outside Greenville County where CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreen's coexist.

Walgreen's has not opened a store in Greenville County in seven years. The most recent store to open is Walgreen's #10391, 2586 Woodruff Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-5447 on Thursday, 23 October 2008.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,005,738 times
Not that big a deal here. Only a tiny handful of Rite Aid counters left in Greenville area anyway . Walgreens will probably just close them down and put the buildings up for lease to other retailers here. I would imagine Save-A-Lot may have an interest in keeping them as solely Save-A-Lot. Rite Aid only has an aisle or 2 in those cobranded stores anyway.

The North Main Store is about the only one I would think Walgreens would want to convert to a full fledged Walgreens store to have a DT presence.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Rite Aid's distribution center in Spartanburg is a consolidation of three distribution centers in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Poca, West Virginia. ("Rite Aid to Open Distribution Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina.") One distribution center would be in danger of closing if the acquisition is approved.

If there are stores that need to be divested, I do not see CVS taking on many locations. There are several trade areas in and outside Greenville County where CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreen's coexist.

Walgreen's has not opened a store in Greenville County in seven years. The most recent store to open is Walgreen's #10391, 2586 Woodruff Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-5447 on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
With a large, fairly new distribution center in Anderson, I would question the need for another one in Spartanburg. I'd think it would be likely that they revisit the plan there. Of course, some of that may depend on how far along they are with construction and how ironclad the agreements are around building that distribution center in Spartanburg.

Walgreens has another distribution center in Georgia and two in Florida, so they already have strong coverage in the southeast. If anything, I could see them reconsider the closing of the center in West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area