U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 AM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times

Advertisements

You can help reshape Wade Hampton Boulevard | Local News - WYFF Home

I'd like to see them clean up Wade Hampton with steetscape, medians with pretty trees and shrubs. Just make it look welcoming and pretty Another thing that was on the survey that I liked was to widen sidewalks to make walking trails.

What would you like to see done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM

44 posts, read 83,427 times
I think improvements on Wade Hampton would be great! You have a lot of different retail, restaurants, etc. on that road and its bad it can't look better. The focus right now is on Woodruff Rd/Laurens Rd. so hopefully the focus will move towards Wade Hampton as well. I would love to see nice medians, lights and trails in that area too!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Aesthetics

The median needs an upgrade from asphalt to shrubs and trees. Properties should also maintain some footage for planting along sidewalks.

Road signage would need to be lower to the ground instead way up in the air.

Needs

A supermarket and pharmacy are needed along Wade Hampton Boulevard between East Stone Avenue and North Pleasantburg Drive. CVS closed over a year ago after their South Main Street store in downtown opened.

What was Wade Hampton Mall at one time for retail has become part of Bob Jones University. This is a prime location for retail to flourish again. It is also a wise opportunity for Bob Jones University to reuse the site with new construction and parking structures for its growing offerings.

What was Colonial Inn can make way for major retail with vertical growth specified. For example, a Publix similar to McBee Station would locate here with a parking structure above. You get the needs of food and pharmacy and a smartly planned site.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,824,443 times
Whatever they do on Wade Hampton, just don't make it another Woodruff Rd!!!!!

Since I'm down in the Greer area of Wade Hampton...would like to see more median landscaping and more sidewalks. Definitely synchronize the traffic lights.

Bus service farther than Taylors, which was discussed a few years ago and nothing ever became of it.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM

5,489 posts, read 6,211,928 times
Also UNDERGROUND UTILITIES for goodness sakes. Get rid of all power poles. Traffic light poles should be modern.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM

868 posts, read 928,737 times
As a city project, "Wade Hampton Blvd" would mean the stretch between Bob Jones and Henry's Smokehouse.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Though the scope of the corridor is restricted within the city of Greenville, I would like to see Greenville County jump aboard to improve the aesthetics through Taylors.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Though the scope of the corridor is restricted within the city of Greenville, I would like to see Greenville County jump aboard to improve the aesthetics through Taylors.
Agreed, you just took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Agreed, you just took the words right out of my mouth.
I would like to check with the the City of Greer in regards to their plans for aesthetics along Wade Hampton Boulevard. Wade Hampton Boulevard at Fairview Road to West Wade Hampton Boulevard at Middleton Road can look better than an asphalt turning lane.

A left turn signal from Wade Hampton Boulevard northbound onto North Suber Road would be greatly appreciated. It is difficult to make left turns at the intersection. All other directions have them.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM

45 posts, read 36,671 times
I'm ok with improving the aesthetics of Wade Hampton. Just keeping a grassy median when they built it would have been good. I always thought 6 lanes was excessive but I never driving it during rush hour so maybe all 6 are needed. It kind of feels like an interstate which kills off the rural vibe of the area.

but why do you need walking trails along that road? Seems like worse place you could walk and not that safe. As a general rule I don't walk next to any road with more than 2 lanes and that is a 6 lane road. There is a ton of high schoolers driving that road with the high school right there and more over in Greer.

I'd like to see them re-do that Pleasantburg/ Wade Hampton intersection so the "thru" route 291 to Traveler's Rest is more like an interstate...somehow get rid of the red light on Pleasantburg prior to getting to Wade Hampton. Just the goofiest intersection in my view. It might be hard to do with Bob Jones being a constraint on one side and the cemetery being a constraint on the other. Maybe a bridge but I can see that being opposed. If it was a smoother commute "limited access" type of commute from Traveler's Rest down to 385, I could see that make TR a more viable option for new growth.

Last edited by ACFlora; 04-18-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area