U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 08:18 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,728,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The site should be under a cleanup for being a brownfield.

That factory was relatively new wasn't it? Constructed in the late 80's? If I am thinking of the correct building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 PM

19,383 posts, read 17,088,641 times
I think you would be correct.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:30 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,728,337 times
Quote:
I think you would be correct.
I remember the building. Seems like it was vacant for more years than it was occupied of its short life.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 PM

855 posts, read 568,436 times
Quote:
It was a TNS facility that was demolished several years ago.
I thought the TNS plant was in the Brockman - McClimon Rd area. The plant on hwy 101 and I85 was Miliken's "Armitage" facility. Built in the '60's ?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:59 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,477,383 times
Went to Charlotte yeaterday and rode past this area. This is very random spot for a 100K sq foot regional store. I mean really random.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:03 PM

150 posts, read 106,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Went to Charlotte yeaterday and rode past this area. This is very random spot for a 100K sq foot regional store. I mean really random.

I don't think it's random due to its proximity to BMW, but I am having a hard time picturing this project on that piece of land. It has a very industrial feel to it and it seems like it's going to take a lot to upgrade the surrounding area. Can someone shed some light on just what type of visiblity from 85 this project is going to have? I think the only way it will be a big success is if it has a big visible presence from 85. I hope it does work and creates a nice new retail corrider along 101 but again I'm having a real hard time picturing it.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:01 PM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnimee View Post
I understand that the Camping World located at Best Dr. Spartanburg may be relocating to the area of 85/101 along with Bass Pro. If I understood correctly it will be on same site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
I don't think it's random due to its proximity to BMW, but I am having a hard time picturing this project on that piece of land. It has a very industrial feel to it and it seems like it's going to take a lot to upgrade the surrounding area. Can someone shed some light on just what type of visiblity from 85 this project is going to have? I think the only way it will be a big success is if it has a big visible presence from 85. I hope it does work and creates a nice new retail corrider along 101 but again I'm having a real hard time picturing it.
Camping World relocating would not surprise me.. They go hand in hand with a place like that. The one in Charlotte is right there with the Bass Pro and the speedway and everything. I think it makes alot of sense for them to move.

I'm sure that the idea is that they're taking a relatively undeveloped area, and at least the state is looking at this as a "If you build it, they will come" thing.. And I would agree with them on that. I recall a time when the Duncan exit (I think).. Exit 60.. Was basically a gas station and a Hardee's. Exit 56 (101) was a Waffle House and a Pantry. You start building with one block.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,477,383 times
If they want 85 frontage, I think closer to Pelham RD is better. I think in Gaffney next to the Premium Outlets is a good spot too. At least its already a developed area thats quite busy and visible. You have the Outlets and Peachoid over there. And with Cabelas already gaining loyalty in Greenville, Bass Pro couldve took advantage of Spartanburg and opened up off 26 near Westgate with 26 frontage. I mean it did say in the press release that they were trying to take advantage of Spartanburg Co. active outdoor participation.

The site it sits on now is nothing but some industry, a couple fast food restaurants, and frontage gas stations, and open fields with a cow or two. Pretty sparsely populated area. Driving by during the day, it looks pretty empty. I know BMW is around, but thats not somewhere where people can go and leisure before/after Bass Pro, like the Outlets, or Westgate Mall.

I guess Bass Pro did research and I guess theres a site map drawn up to make this area look pretty busy when its done, but for now it just looks like a random spot. I feel like Bass Pro just wanted somewhere right between GSP on 85 and this road is literally in the middle. Spartanburg or Gaffney wouldve been better imo.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:59 PM

469 posts, read 424,354 times
Bassproshop was originally going to be part of a very large high dollar development, located between Hwy 14 and Brockman McClimon Rd. The development company was already in process of securing property options and signing contracts when the big collapse of AIG occurred. The developer lost its financing and the property deals all quickly fell apart. It apparently left a few "complications" in the local area. Bass Pro Shop wanted to be on the corridor between Greenville and Spartanburg, so they later settled for the location on 101. I'd agree it's probably a second choice location, but 101 can also use a new directional kick start.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 PM

10,062 posts, read 19,932,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Ahh...yes. Concord Mills. AKA Woodruff Road 2.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or