Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 04:52 AM

1,937 posts, read 2,726,705 times

Advertisements

“BMW’s SC plant gears up for another major investment.” https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...30cb2d7f7.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 07:24 AM
Status: "I'm not MAGA, I'm an American!" (set 19 hours ago)

9,346 posts, read 9,642,404 times
I'm going to speculate a little. It's already been announced that we are building a stamping plant on site for I believe 2024 opening (the framing is up now).

This next announcement could be a new battery assembly plant across Hwy 101 as sort of touched on in the article.
The current onsite battery plant is pretty full now and won't be able to handle what is coming in the future.

But I'm leaning more on announcing the expansion of Hall 52, which was built in 2012 and currently makes the X3 and X4. X4 production is being moved to another plant due to it's low numbers (which was previously announced). BMW wants to build the larger X5 which is a top seller, in Hall 52, so expansion is necessary. The original hall, Hall 50, will continue to build the X6/X7/XM.

Of course this is just a rumor I'm hearing.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:51 AM

I should have mentioned that the battery facility could go in Woodruff. I forgot that BMW bought a large plot of land there.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:05 AM

So it is the battery plant that is being built. Only $1.7B!!

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/10/...tric-vehicles/

The Hall 52 expansion is still happening, just not as big a story as EV.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:15 PM

5,615 posts, read 5,747,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So it is the battery plant that is being built. Only $1.7B!!

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/10/...tric-vehicles/

The Hall 52 expansion is still happening, just not as big a story as EV.
That will be great for the area if they actaully hire people close by. May have to apply myself. I dont live far from there, and pass that house at least twice a week.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
That will be great for the area if they actaully hire people close by. May have to apply myself. I dont live far from there, and pass that house at least twice a week.
The actual assembly workers will probably start out as MAU. In the current factory, they get modules delivered then put them together in the pack that goes on the car. This new plant will probably also build the actual cells, but not sure yet.

The manager, planners, technicians, etc.. will be most likely BMW.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:19 AM

So what I can tell of the recent press release:
  • BMW will contribute $700M to build the battery plant in Woodruff that will be sourced from a company called Envision AESC (this part is a bit fuzzy if BMW will run the plant)
  • $1B will go to expansions needed on the main campus (Hall 52 for instance) to support EV
  • 6 fully electric models by 2030
  • Currently have 3 PHEV models (X3, X5 and the new XM)
That's really good news for Spartanburg. When the Biden admin announced the $7500 EV credit earlier this summer, that credit was based on sourcing batteries and production of the vehicle in North America. Some had speculated that the Mexico BMW plant would get this work. Thankfully it's staying here, at least for the X-vehicles. San Luis Potosi will eventually get smaller and sedan type EV's.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:52 AM

Groundbreaking today in Woodruff for the BMW's high-voltage battery assembly plant. Gov. McMaster will be on hand for the ceremony. The battery cells will be made at the new AESC 30 GWh Florence, SC plant that is being built then shipped to Woodruff to assemble together, then finally to the assembly lines at Plant Spartanburg.

It’s the start of a new era at Plant Spartanburg as they prepare to produce fully electric BMWs for the world. This battery assembly facility will be called Plant Woodruff, and the associates who work there will produce the sixth-generation batteries to supply the plant’s electric vehicles in the future. As announced last October, by 2030, Plant Spartanburg will build at least six fully electric BMWs.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:15 AM

2,207 posts, read 2,812,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The battery cells will be made at the new AESC 30 GWh Florence, SC plant
Does "30 GWh" refer to the annual battery capacity production?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area