U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,695,605 times

Advertisements

We recently discovered the squirrels did a job on all of our insulation in the attic. I didn't realize they could be so destructive. They took all the insulation and made it into tiny balls. On occasion, in the winter, we'd hear them up there or when it rains. We are in the process of tying to figure out how they are getting in. In turn, we are going to have to replace the insulation.

Has anyone had any luck with keeping these critters out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
They get in through ventilation vents or soffit vents, and they may have chewed the wood to enlarge the holes. You have to 1) get them out and 2) cover the holes with screen wire they can't chew through.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
They get in through ventilation vents or soffit vents, and they may have chewed the wood to enlarge the holes. You have to 1) get them out and 2) cover the holes with screen wire they can't chew through.
Ugh, thanks. This is going to end up being an expensive job. What a nuisance!

Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,830,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We recently discovered the squirrels did a job on all of our insulation in the attic. I didn't realize they could be so destructive. They took all the insulation and made it into tiny balls. On occasion, in the winter, we'd hear them up there or when it rains. We are in the process of tying to figure out how they are getting in. In turn, we are going to have to replace the insulation.

Make sure they didn't get to your wiring. They love to chew the insulation off, which creates a fire hazard.

Our problem is chipmunks digging holes through the foundation and trying to live in the crawlspace.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM

99 posts, read 170,694 times
When you rent, squirrels are cute; once you own, they're vermin.

You need to eliminate the squirrels, which is like fighting a Hydra -- get rid of one and two take its place. So you really do have to repair then cover up their access points.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I felt bad for them thinking they were just coming in to get warm. Little did I know what they were doing.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 11,557 times
Default Squirrels

They are indeed a pest. I had them, put poison baits to rid myself of them, then, got electronic devices that plug in and emit a beeping that only they can here, and therefore avoid them. Ceck on the internet for them.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 PM

5,328 posts, read 5,219,915 times
No problem whatsoever; I enjoy squirrels in my attic.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:21 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,211,928 times
I did notice a bunch of empty energy drink cans and empty pringles cans in the attic...does that mean anything?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You're exactly right! We've been plagued by squirrels in our crawl space for the past several months. We just had both gable vents painted and wire screwed on the outside of them.

We watched, the other day, as a squirrel came over the roof, headed down to the vent and was foiled by the wire covering. He was at first puzzled and then quite upset...it's nice not having the chewing and activity overhead in our crawl space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or