U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Looking to move to Hampton Heights, near the post office.

I have never been to the area. Feeling unsafe is a real deal breaker for me, so before I invest time in deeply looking at it, I figured I'd scout it out here.

Anyone have experience with the area? All help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 PM

19,383 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Take caution if you consider Hampton Heights or any neighborhood off South Church Street. Yes, there are some nice people and nice homes in this area. Unfortunately, there are many not so nice people and dingy areas where crime can be rampant and definitely create unsafe feelings.

I wonder if it is okay to start recommending Duncan Park again. I know this area went through blight in the 1990s, but it has made tremendous strides turning itself around for the better.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 PM

60 posts, read 59,757 times
Ditto what Carolina Knight said about Hampton Heights and S. Church St. The area around the post office is dicey. RE: Hampton Heights...I have a friend who lives there; it is "historic" but I know she has had a lot of issues in the area with crime in the area.

(Of course, there seems to be a lot of crime throughout Spartanburg...).

Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM

To be safe, I would stay away from South Church Street, Howard Street and Saxon. If you had money, I would highly advise Converse Heights.

What are you looking for specifically in terms of bedrooms and baths?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 69,719 times
If feeling unsafe is the only thing your worried about I would avoid Hampton Heights. It isn't a terrible area but it's definitely not one of the better neighborhoods. Generally speaking the farther east you go from downtown the safer you are. Same thing with the West, the farther you go from downtown the safer you are. If you want to go south or north it works the same way, the farther you go the safer you are in most cases. The worst neighborhood in Spartanburg is the Highland neighborhood in my opinion. Highland is right beside Hampton Heights. They are seperated by a railroad and Forest Street. After Highland I would also try to avoid Howard Street, Park Hills, Una, and Saxon and Beaumont Village.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,647 times
Thanks all so much for your help. The thing about is that I am applying for a job that provides housing in that specific neighborhood, so I don't have much wiggle room. But your comments are very helpful.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM

410 posts, read 664,329 times
OP,

I lived in Hampton back in 2006-2007. This was when Preservation Spartanburg was still in the area-they were the ones who really spurred the revitalization on in that area. Be prepared for a lot of petty crime. Crackheads wander through the neighborhood and will boost anything that isn't nailed down (I had ferns stolen off my porch one summer) so they can sell at the flea market. I actually lived on Spring Street (behind the post office) when that happened. Later on, I moved to Carlisle Street was living in a garage apartment behind one of the renovated houses. I didn't have any problems there but the only access was via a 6 foot privacy fence, so that may have deterred anyone. I never had any home break-ins or car break-ins. Like I said, mostly it folks looking for a quick score with no fuss.

Carlisle, Spring, and Hydrick were in the process of fully revitalizing when Preservation Spartanburg went out. It has stalled out now so I would avoid those specific streets.

Housing on West Hampton Ave (aka the main drag), Hampton Drive (just off W. Hampton, but not along the back side where it turns into S. Hampton Drive), Peronneau, and Irwin are all save bets. The closer you are to W. Hampton the better.

The neighborhood used to have an extremely active neighborhood watch/neighborhood association along with a listserv. They knew the "trouble makers" by name and would post "sightings". Folks would also post any crime related issues.

So, it just depends on your comfort level. I was a single gal living on my own and was OK. Since then, my tolerance for urban pioneering had diminished somewhat. I wouldn't live anywhere but those streets I mentioned. When you drive in the neighborhood, you'll get a distinct idea of who rents from the local slumlords, who rents from a good local owner, and who owns out right.

As for Highland, yeah, super bad neighborhood (we used to sit in my living room in HH and hear gunshots from over there), but they mowed down most of the projects over there too so things might be a bit calmer.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 PM

If you are looking to be near Hampton Heights and downtown Spartanburg, I would look into the new Schuyler Apartments on South Church Street. It will be a good option with safety in mind.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM

410 posts, read 664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If you are looking to be near Hampton Heights and downtown Spartanburg, I would look into the new Schuyler Apartments on South Church Street. It will be a good option with safety in mind.
Are they even renting those yet? When I drove through a couple weeks ago, it looks like they had taken out the windows and we're refacing the building. I'm definitely interested to see where that project goes. I just wish the developer who purchased the Montgomery Building would get on it and start rehabbing that building. It's hands down the most unique opportunity in Downtown Spartanburg.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Are they even renting those yet? When I drove through a couple weeks ago, it looks like they had taken out the windows and we're refacing the building. I'm definitely interested to see where that project goes. I just wish the developer who purchased the Montgomery Building would get on it and start rehabbing that building. It's hands down the most unique opportunity in Downtown Spartanburg.
Renovations are to be complete by July.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or