U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 AM

4,382 posts, read 6,083,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
Ugh. This is awful. Is it just because Easter is tomorrow?! I mean, I know Saturdays and Sunday (and Friday nights, etc etc) are extra-busy and backed up on there. But you're saying it's the worst ever? I wonder if that has to do with the holiday weekend somehow.

I am glad I have been able to avoid it like the plague. I traveled from Mauldin to Augusta Rd area for a bit of shopping, and it was totally normal.
Worst I've seen it and I've been here 10 years. Worse than any previous black Friday and this is only Easter. Keep in mind that previously Cabelas and the other retail at Magnolia didn't exist. Then you add in more people moving to the area. I've never seen our interchanges jammed until now. 85 was backed up to the highway 14 interchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln77 View Post
I was on Woodruff last Saturay around 1.30 to 2 pm and there was very little traffic. It can get bad at times but nowhere as bad as some claim.
Last Saturday and this Saturday were night and day in difference.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 AM

2,194 posts, read 2,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Worst I've seen it and I've been here 10 years. Worse than any previous black Friday and this is only Easter. Keep in mind that previously Cabelas and the other retail at Magnolia didn't exist. Then you add in more people moving to the area. I've never seen our interchanges jammed until now. 85 was backed up to the highway 14 interchange.
The land where Cabela's and Magnolia Park sits has been retail since 1978 with the former Greenville Mall. You cant really blame it on them.

Only Easter? People in the South do a lot of prep and shopping for Easter. The Saturday before Easter is one of those holidays like Christmas Eve and Black Friday you can expect heavier traffic in retail areas. The mall was extremely busy too. When the weather is lousy on Saturdays like yesterday people are looking for indoor things like shopping and movies to do which probably contributed as well.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 AM

877 posts, read 1,218,305 times
I honestly don't think that Woodruff Road is that bad. People keep on talking about traffic there over and over again and it just gives a perception that it is worse than it is.

Went to Target and Christmas Tree Shops yesterday and it was pretty easy to get in and out. Even with the "long" wait (two stoplights) to get out of Magnolia Park. People are just used to not waiting at all these days.

I think when the parallel road is built, it will be better though. But more development will follow to the area.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 AM

53 posts, read 51,960 times
I don't understand what the big draw is to that area for the traffic to ever be that bad. Those are stores I rarely need to go to, and many of them are located in other parts of town, like Office Depot, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, Lowes, etc. I don't need to eat at any of those restaurants.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The land where Cabela's and Magnolia Park sits has been retail since 1978 with the former Greenville Mall. You cant really blame it on them.

Only Easter? People in the South do a lot of prep and shopping for Easter. The Saturday before Easter is one of those holidays like Christmas Eve and Black Friday you can expect heavier traffic in retail areas. The mall was extremely busy too. When the weather is lousy on Saturdays like yesterday people are looking for indoor things like shopping and movies to do which probably contributed as well.
All of that said, last Easter wasn't as bad. You would think the inclement weather would keep them at bay. We can't kid ourselves and pretend this corridor isn't becoming more congested. The local government is even looking for a solution. Let me clarify that I'm not complaining, just something to discuss. I will say again. I've never seen interchanges and freeways backed up until now from this corridor. Don't remember any other time. Previous Easter's and Black Fridays included. It's all subjective though. Someone else may have seen another time.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer55 View Post
I don't understand what the big draw is to that area for the traffic to ever be that bad. Those are stores I rarely need to go to, and many of them are located in other parts of town, like Office Depot, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, Lowes, etc. I don't need to eat at any of those restaurants.
There is stuff on Woodruff that doesn't exist in other parts of the region, along with all of the other stuff.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM

53 posts, read 51,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
There is stuff on Woodruff that doesn't exist in other parts of the region, along with all of the other stuff.
How often do people need to go to Trader Joe's or REI or Cabala's?

If people made a decision not to go there for the rountine stuff, you wouldn't see traffic issues, IMO.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 AM

4,550 posts, read 5,849,551 times
I started heading to Spartanburg instead. Unless I need to go to TJ's, I can find every place I need to go there, without a lot less hassle and headaches, and traffic. Even though it's a little farther away by the time I figure on how much time I'm gaining not having to sit in traffic, and how much more enjoyable the ride is, it's worth it to me. Granted, I'm in Greer, off Wade Hampton, so that plays a factor in it as well. I avoid Woodruff at all costs when I can.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 AM

2,973 posts, read 4,701,846 times
The only thing we really go there for with any regularity is Trader Joe's. We usually make our bi-weekly visits sometime during work hours M-F to avoid traffic since we are not far away and if we need to stop in at Home Depot we will do it at that same time. If it weren't for TJs being there our annual trips to that area would probably be countable on one hand. So we don't understand the draw either.

However, I do understand there are things on that road that other people go for that we do not so I'm not trying to extrapolate our habits onto everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or