U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 AM

5,328 posts, read 5,223,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Why didn't you take Verdae back to Laurens and get on 85South OR hop on 385 at the intersection just above QT on Roper Mtn and then merge on to 85 South? Both probably would have taken 3 minutes. You had other options.
I was coming from Laurens Rd. had to fill up at QT; all of your suggestions, with the exception of exiting QT at Verdae and going north on Roper Mt, would have required me to cross traffic, which was literally impossible with the traffic at that time of day. Verdae is now getting backed up a 1/4 mile. P.S. Your post is a little snarky, watch the tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,911,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
How about the choice of local politicians and government eliminating wasteful$$ and make it work now with the ever increasing tax money they collect with all the new businesses, homes, and apartments going up. I can't afford additional tax.
I don't believe there's enough waste to cut that would add up to the cost of building and repairing the necessary roads, but if you have suggestions on eight figures worth of waste to cut I would love to see them.

I probably waste an amount of money sitting in Woodruff Road traffic (wasted time, gasoline) that would equal to the additional 1% sales tax.

Last edited by gvsteve; 04-22-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM

65 posts, read 87,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I don't believe there's enough waste to cut that would add up to the cost of building and repairing the necessary roads, but if you have suggestions on eight figures worth of waste to cut I would love to see them.

I probably waste an amount of money sitting in Woodruff Road traffic (wasted time, gasoline) that would equal to the additional 1% sales tax.
This is exactly right. They could need to eliminate about millions of dollars in waste per year to have enough to do all of the road work. The total budget for Greenville County this year is about $144,000,000. There's not enough in that number to even think that cutting out wasteful spending would fix the problem.

The state department of transportation's revenue is about $1.4 billion. If you look up how much it costs to build a road or how much it costs to maintain a mile of road you will notice that there's not enough revenue for the infrastructure in this state. Just widening a road by one lane costs between $2.4 to $6.9 million (http://www.railstotrails.org/resourc...nstruction.pdf).

Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,802,577 times
Greenville like many other southern cities of it's size or larger grew too much too fast. The lack of appropriate transportation infrastructure is evident. Having lived down here some 10 years now (having moved from a similar sized midwestern city) I've witnessed Greenville (again like many) fall victim to the big box chains swooping in and claiming turf left and right as people moved down here. The combination of both has left city planners / engineers / etc... with their thumbs up of their you know whats in regards to what to do to solve the problem of congestion.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I wonder how long until Woodruff Road is left abandoned like Laurens Road? What will become the next hot retail location in Greenville? It's hard to believe but once upon a time, most of Woodruff Road was 2 lanes and farms.

in my short time down here i have noticed that when i first arrived laurens did seem to be a lil bit more of a hopping stretch than what it is now. although that could always come back i'm sure as one fills up they may decide to go back and re-evaluate parts of laurens / wade hampton / etc...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM

a non - commercial road in simpsonville that has lately become a nightmare at certain parts of the day is west georgia once you get past food lion. with the re-development of some lots down that way traffic is bad enough at certain hours, just wait until they unveil 2 or 3 more subdivisions along that road and that part of simpsonville will be a nightmare of epic proportions. fairview road in the middle of the day on weekends can be painfully overcrowded as well.

to me this is the problem you get when you put your focus on subdivision building where you have one entrance that acts as the exit to the neighborhood with no backdoor to alleviate. you put 7 or 8 developments of 50 or 60 homes all right next to each on one road and well you get what you get I suppose.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenezer4 View Post
lol, actually if people didn't always go over there, there wouldn't be congestion. I honestly don't see the big draw to go over there a lot thus it isn't a big problem. Do people eat at Longhorn ever night and shop at REI every day? I've never sat more than 10 minutes on that road. That ain't LA. I ain't ever been to LA, but Woodruff road in no way approximates LA traffic. Some things you just know.

it's time like this i'm glad i'm not hip enough nor have the disposable income to shop at Whole Foods and or TJ's haha. and thank god i'm not an outdoor kinda guy either.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
a non - commercial road in simpsonville that has lately become a nightmare at certain parts of the day is west georgia once you get past food lion. with the re-development of some lots down that way traffic is bad enough at certain hours, just wait until they unveil 2 or 3 more subdivisions along that road and that part of simpsonville will be a nightmare of epic proportions. fairview road in the middle of the day on weekends can be painfully overcrowded as well.

to me this is the problem you get when you put your focus on subdivision building where you have one entrance that acts as the exit to the neighborhood with no backdoor to alleviate. you put 7 or 8 developments of 50 or 60 homes all right next to each on one road and well you get what you get I suppose.
And you know the county plan addresses this idea of "cul de sac subdivisions" and states they need to be interconnected etc. ............ But it seems when time comes to approve subdivision plans that just goes out the window. I am not sure the purpose of these kind of plans because they really seem to be a wasted exercise.

As far as the tax goes, I am willing to pay more tax to maintain infrastructure. One thing we saw happen when we lived in Fort Mill, though, was that extra tax started going to making new roads for speculative development instead of taking care of / making better what we already had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or