U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 AM

3,262 posts, read 3,986,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I doubt Ponderosa and Bonanza have ever been in Greenville.
They had locations in the Charlotte area back in the late 70s, early 80s. I thought they may have been in SC as well. They are still around in certain markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:05 AM

146 posts, read 246,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I doubt Ponderosa and Bonanza have ever been in Greenville.
Bonanza had 6 locations going here in the 70's. 2 in Greenville and one in Anderson, Greenwood, Seneca, and Simpsonville. One of the best in Greenville was Western Family on Wade Hampton. It was a local owned non-chain establishment. A local guy named Rick Erwin was a cook/dishwasher back in the mid-70s.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,199,927 times
Quincy's would great to have back here in this area and a Weatwrn Sizllen

Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM

19,431 posts, read 17,215,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreddy View Post
Bonanza had 6 locations going here in the 70's. 2 in Greenville and one in Anderson, Greenwood, Seneca, and Simpsonville. One of the best in Greenville was Western Family on Wade Hampton. It was a local owned non-chain establishment. A local guy named Rick Erwin was a cook/dishwasher back in the mid-70s.
Do you recall these specific locations?

There was another chain in the area called Western Steer. This was the predecessor to Prime Sirloin, now closed in Greenville and Spartanburg.

Here are the locations where either Western Sizzlin and Western Steer, possibly Bonanza, operated:
North Main Street, Anderson (previously Monterrey)
Laurens Road, Greenville
Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville (currently Denny's)
Western Family Steakhouse, Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville (currently a revolving door of failing night clubs, restaurants, buffets, etc.)
Western Steer, Poinsett Highway, Greenville (currently Monterrey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
Quincy's would great to have back here in this area and a Weatwrn Sizllen
If they offer all you can eat steak like Ryan's and Golden Corral and be reasonably priced in smaller locations like Clemson, they will succeed.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM

146 posts, read 246,432 times
Bonanzas:

308 S. Pleasantburg (pretty sure this is the building that eventually became Po Folks), 1019 Wade Hampton Blvd, Fairview Rd at Simpsonville Plaza, 1303 N. Murray Ave Anderson, 123 for both Easley and Seneca, and Main St. Greenwood. So actually 7 locations at one time.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM

In addition to Big Boy and Bonanza, I would like to see a Howard Johnson's restaurant return. They had great ice cream and sandwiches. I think there may still be a few Howard Johnson hotels still around, but I believe most of the restaurants are gone. And I think they used to have a small candy store inside. When we used to travel from Charlotte to Atlanta, we would always stop at the Howard Johnson's in Anderson. Right off the main exit at I-85 for years, a good half way point. Now it is a Russell Stover candy store.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM

19,431 posts, read 17,215,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreddy View Post
Bonanzas:

308 S. Pleasantburg (pretty sure this is the building that eventually became Po Folks), 1019 Wade Hampton Blvd, Fairview Rd at Simpsonville Plaza, 1303 N. Murray Ave Anderson, 123 for both Easley and Seneca, and Main St. Greenwood. So actually 7 locations at one time.
1303 North Murray Avenue, Anderson, SC 29625-3712
This structure is occupied by Upstate Federal Credit Union.

2009 East Main Street, Easley, SC 29640-3857
This structure is occupied by Los Amigos Mexican Restaurant. I think this was Po Folks at one time.

308 South Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, SC 29607-2524
This structure is occupied by Cash America Pawn. I do remember Po Folks operating here.

Keep in mind the structure with the revolving door of failed restaurants between HoneyBaked Ham Company and The Car Wash south on South Pleasantburg Drive.

1019 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29609-5064
This address leads to Cateran's, which is located at 1419 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29609-5045.

International House of Pancakes is located at 915 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29609-4943.

Traveling south Wade Hampton Boulevard, U-Haul Moving & Storage at Wade Hampton, previously Dairy Queen, is located at 529 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29609-4963. The adjacent night club, located at 531 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29609-4963, may have seen a past life as a restaurant.

1434 Main Street South, Greenwood, SC 29646-4002
This structure is occupied by South Main Bar & Grill. I do not know if this was the actual location. I also tried 114 Circular Avenue, Greenwood, SC 29646-3262, which is closer downtown.

695 United States Highway 123 North, Seneca, SC 29678-4751
This structure is occupied by Mullen's Irish Pub & Grub. I think it has a past life as a restaurant.

Simpsonville Plaza, 915 South Street, Simpsonville, SC 29681-3229
I do not know where in the retail center this would have been located. I know Bi-Lo operated up to two different spaces here, first where Deal Mart Food Bargains is, then the former store 654 where Big Lots relocated to from Mauldin. Bi-Lo replaced store 654 with store 5661 on South Carolina 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
In addition to Big Boy and Bonanza, I would like to see a Howard Johnson's restaurant return. They had great ice cream and sandwiches. I think there may still be a few Howard Johnson hotels still around, but I believe most of the restaurants are gone. And I think they used to have a small candy store inside. When we used to travel from Charlotte to Atlanta, we would always stop at the Howard Johnson's in Anderson. Right off the main exit at I-85 for years, a good half way point. Now it is a Russell Stover candy store.
Russell Stover, Fuddrucker's and Hilton Garden Inn I recall being new construction on undeveloped land. I do recall a hotel similar to Howard Johnson on Clemson Boulevard at Hurricane Road which was demolished for a package store.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,234,986 times
Most of the places mentioned in this thread are just warmed over places of what we already have similar to in our area. We need a new breath of fresh air in Greenville and with our beautiful natural resources and outdoor activities we need healthier food. Here are a few newer chains that offer fast but fresh food and have a presence in our region:
  • Noodles and Company
  • Corner Bakery Cafe
  • Freshii
  • Souper!Salad!
  • BurgerFi

Old 04-29-2014, 04:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,199,927 times
Those places would great for this area

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM

It is always nice to see new concepts come to the area. They have a Smash Burger in Charlotte, but I have not tried it yet. Maybe nice to come here. But definitely need a Popeyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or