Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
So they can turn it in for recycling the platinum it contains.
Ah wow. Did not realize that. Man, some desperate metal thieves out there for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Ah wow. Did not realize that. Man, some desperate metal thieves out there for sure.
Like the copper out of an air conditioner.. They get about $50 for it.

And costs you many hundreds if not thousands of dollars to have it repaired.

You'd be better off having them walk up to your door and just handing them $50.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Like the copper out of an air conditioner.. They get about $50 for it.

And costs you many hundreds if not thousands of dollars to have it repaired.

You'd be better off having them walk up to your door and just handing them $50.
I agree. I am OP's wife. I would have happily given the thief the money they received from my part, versus what it is going to end up costing us.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I agree. I am OP's wife. I would have happily given the thief the money they received from my part, versus what it is going to end up costing us.
Hate that this happened to you. Hope you find an economical way to get the repair done.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Hate that this happened to you. Hope you find an economical way to get the repair done.
Thanks. We only moved here a few months ago. It has taken the wind out of my sails, but, I will rebound. In our 31 years of marriage, and living in CA, KS, MO, and OK we have never been victims of a crime. Except for in CA, I've never worried for personal or vehicle safety. I can not say the same for living here. On the other hand, there is MUCH I like about the area too. Again, I realize in the big scheme of things this is NOTHING.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM

422 posts, read 542,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Thanks. We only moved here a few months ago. It has taken the wind out of my sails, but, I will rebound. In our 31 years of marriage, and living in CA, KS, MO, and OK we have never been victims of a crime. Except for in CA, I've never worried for personal or vehicle safety. I can not say the same for living here. On the other hand, there is MUCH I like about the area too. Again, I realize in the big scheme of things this is NOTHING.
We lived in Chicagoland for many years, never had an issue with any property crime. Lived here about a month, and someone smashed my window out in the Costco parking lot in broad daylight. The cops told me there is a high volume of property crimes around here. Needless to say it sucks and i know how ya feel!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
Lived in Simpsonville for a couple of years - no crime at all. Then, moved to the city limits of Greenville - both of my cars burglarized - granted they were both unlocked - I know of multiple neighbors who have been victims of property theft - huge problem here - causes could be multiple: Greenville is adjacent to very sketchy areas, economic downturn, lack of city police, etc etc - also, stark poverty is widespread in SC and shocking - just drive outside of Greenville County into Laurens County - it's like a third world country

Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
We lived in Chicagoland for many years, never had an issue with any property crime. Lived here about a month, and someone smashed my window out in the Costco parking lot in broad daylight. The cops told me there is a high volume of property crimes around here. Needless to say it sucks and i know how ya feel!
I am sorry you can relate. Yes, we knew it was high crime here, but, you never think it is going to happen to you. As I said, it could be worse. I am glad they didn't steal the car, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Lived in Simpsonville for a couple of years - no crime at all. Then, moved to the city limits of Greenville - both of my cars burglarized - granted they were both unlocked - I know of multiple neighbors who have been victims of property theft - huge problem here - causes could be multiple: Greenville is adjacent to very sketchy areas, economic downturn, lack of city police, etc etc - also, stark poverty is widespread in SC and shocking - just drive outside of Greenville County into Laurens County - it's like a third world country
I believe you are SPOT ON. If and when we do buy, Simpsonville is on my radar. For the next two years we will be living in the city limits of Greenville. We only have a few more months left here(apt), and then we are headed to a unit that has restricted gates.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
This is surprising - I can't think of anyone in my circle of Greenville friends that has been the victim of a property crime. And I'm shocked to hear what happened in the Costco parking lot! Did they smash your window to steal something inside, or just for the heck of it?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
What everyone is mentioning are crimes of opportunity.

Don't leave your vehicle unlocked. Higher vehicles such as the Honda CR-V the OP mentions.. 4x4 trucks and the like are more apt to have a cat stolen because they're easier to access. Crawl under with a pipe cutter and in 5 mins, they're gone.

Locking the doors, you can do something about.. The OP.. Not a whole lot short of not having that particular vehicle.

They do market cat theft deterrent systems.. But they cost about $175 BEFORE installation.

As I recall, the bus depot over in Mauldin got hit by cat thieves a while back, didn't it? Yeah.. 2009, so, about 5 years ago.. Catalytic Converters Stolen from 12 Greenville School Buses : Greenville Dragnet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area