U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 PM

53 posts, read 51,694 times

Advertisements

Austrialia is overrated. Def. not better than Greenville.

Charleston would probably be tied with COlumbia / Sumter as worse place in SC, if it wasn't near the beach. Most of it is an eyesore.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:27 PM

183 posts, read 240,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer55 View Post

Charleston would probably be tied with COlumbia / Sumter as worse place in SC, if it wasn't near the beach. Most of it is an eyesore.
Wow, I thought Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant and the Downtown were jaw dropping last time I went. I mean the quality of the beach was just off the charts. I agree some parts aren't great. What kind of stuff would you like to see happen in Greenville?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 PM

53 posts, read 51,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
Wow, I thought Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant and the Downtown were jaw dropping last time I went. I mean the quality of the beach was just off the charts. I agree some parts aren't great. What kind of stuff would you like to see happen in Greenville?
Isle of Palms is the beach. Mt. Pleasant is nice but in my opinion is overpriced. There's nothing there that Greenville doesn't have. Downtown is ok but to me it is a hassle going down there compared to Greenville and Columbia's, and it seems dominated by tourists than SC residents. I wouldn't call it jaw dropping, it isn't particularly that great in aesthetics, in my view. I think Greenville takes that easily. I always think about plagues when I go to Charlesotn because of all the people who used to die there back in the day due to unsanitary conditions.

I'm ok with Greenville the way it is. Nothing really stands out to me at the moment. Well, I would like them to impvoe the North Pleasantburg / Wade Hampton intersection such that 291 is more of a limited access commuter route. That would allow people to get out to Traveler's Rest area much quicker from 385 and allow growth to move out that way rather all out toward Simpsonville.

I'm not opposed to things like improving Woodruff traffic flow though. I'm not a big shopper so I'm rarely on that road so it isn't a big deal to me. At some point soon both Best Buy and Barnes and NOble will fold and that will help some.

Last edited by Kingslayer55; 04-20-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 03:31 PM

9,474 posts, read 13,163,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
I agree about the roads needing repaving in a lot of areas. Charleston been listed as best city in the nation a few times I believe.
To visit.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,710,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer55 View Post

Most of Charleston an eyesore? Are you serious? When is the last time you visited that beautiful city? Have you seen what is going on in the north King St. area, in Mt. Pleasant? Have you ever walked around downtown Charleston. There are not that many "eyesore" areas. You have to look for them.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 3,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Most of Charleston an eyesore? Are you serious? When is the last time you visited that beautiful city? Have you seen what is going on in the north King St. area, in Mt. Pleasant? Have you ever walked around downtown Charleston. There are not that many "eyesore" areas. You have to look for them.
I lived there in Chucktown. Most of it an eyesore, and it isn't all the downtown area. You just focused on the tiny tourist area of the metro. Mt Pleasant isn't anything special, other than being close to the beach, and more gentrified than the rundown areas like Savanah Highway and Rivers Avenue.

The traffic sucks there. It is buggier there. The tourists and all the transplants kind of take it over so you lose that hometown vibe. It felt more like a museum than a place to live.

I could be happy in Chucktown but I can be happy anywhere. The city you live in isn't what brings happiness. Happiness is a mindset. I will be happy, by God. I'm just saying Charlestons gets hyped up and obvious flaws are overlooked. It isn't utopia or superior to living in Greenville. The only advantage is being near the beach.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:22 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,695,605 times
I don't want to change this post into a Charleston vs. Greenville but here is my opinion. I like Charleston and love going to the beach. I prefer Greenville's downtown over Charleston's. The parking in Charleston is crazy. The signs are all different and confusing. There's no free parking. Charleston has more high end stores that I don't care for. I like Folly Beach. It is overpriced in Charleston. It's a nice place to visit.

Back on topic now....

Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM

9,474 posts, read 13,163,701 times
Here's an idea. Live in Columbia. Take day trips to Greenville and Charleston on Saturdays and Sundays interchangeably, with the understanding that you're going to miss out on high-quality stuff in Columbia every weekend day that you're not here. It's definitely as good a place as any in SC to live, but you can't be two places at one time.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:09 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,976,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I live in Mt Pleasant. It's definitely not an eyesore. I'm content living somewhere where every major retailer is under 5 miles from me and so is IOP and Sullivans Island (give or take). I usually go downtown once a month. No need to get mad if a person thinks their town is better. Thats why they live there usually, because they enjoy their town. But please everyone, stay on topic for the OP and talk about Greenville.

I have nothing bad to say about Greenville. It's a great place. I'm just saying I've been all over the country and to several countries that resemble Greenville and there's just no way I could ever see it as being a town called best in the world.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,976,522 times
To add to that...I have no clue how Charleston even got that title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or