U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 PM

4,539 posts, read 5,829,426 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who's had the service and used people on AL tell me if you thought it was worthwhile having, and if the people you've found through AL made it worthwhile? Thinking about getting it and even though it's really cheap, still wonder if it's worthwhile.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,990,494 times
In my opinion, no. The organization who replaced my roof had only a single 'F' review on AL. I still selected them based on the type of complaint, because they were local, and they did some very competent work for a neighbor, and had done great work on a smaller job for me. I had a great experience with their roof repair.

In the first days, AL had enough reviews to reach critical mass, but after they converted to a pay model, new and recent reviews don't seem to be enough to sustain it in this area. Most services I searched for in the Greenville area did not have enough reviews to use to make a judgement call. By far, my best recommendations now come from neighbors in my HOA group. CityData can do some of this, but get a local nextdoor.com group started in your neighborhood, and perhaps this would be as effective.

AL is now owned by a corporation, and 70% of their revenue comes from companies that advertise there. I'm not sure if it would affect the quality of their ratings though.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
I moved recently from the Midwest, and subscribed to AL in our new area. I have had more bad than good experiences from vendors found on AL, and the best experiences from neighbors. Will not renew my subscription...

Old 04-25-2014, 03:18 PM

80 posts, read 115,135 times
It's…okay. I had positive experiences with the people I hired that were well reviewed there. However, there is a serious lack of reviews in many categories.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM

11,472 posts, read 25,701,761 times
Since there are such a lack of reviews, you might as well use Craigslist. It free.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Well...I'm a little leary about looking for some services on CL. Looking for someone to do my kitchen over, and one of the things needed desperately is that my kitchen floor has a dip in it. Upon getting it inspected prior to purchasing both inspections said it was due to green wood. Not sure if I would even look, much less find someone on CL to do this type of job, or actually what profession would do this type of job...flooring, carpenter, etc. I've been stung from using someone on CL in the past. Doing the kitchen, along with a bathroom and small hallway is a big job I just want to make sure I find someone who is well rated with a good track record that does good work at a reasonable price. Without neighbors to ask, and the fact that you don't meet people on a daily basis who've had this type of work done, figured AL may be the way to go.

I was actually able to find a deal where a year of AL is less than $8.00, so it's cheap enough. I guess $8 isn't that much to lose...if I find 1 valid company on there I guess it will pay for itself.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM

11,472 posts, read 25,701,761 times
I've hired people off Craigslist to do work. Some were really good and others weren't. I guess you could ask for references. I found a really good electrician on there. My husband found a really good laborer on there to help him with his work. We had someone to do remodeling in our house and weren't happy with his work. It's not that he didn't know what he was doing, he was sloppy and things didn't get completed. My DH had to finish or fix some things. We did get a really good price and got our monies worth though. It just depends.

It's a big project so I know you want it done right and I can't blame you.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Luckly I have a great carpenter (others on here have used him and been happy too) a good electrician, great plumber and the company who's done my roof and windows. The kitchen is a big job...I want to be happy with the person, and the work they do. I guess that's why nothing's been done in the kitchen in the 4 years I've had the house!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 PM

80 posts, read 115,135 times
I've looked up local reviews on this site too - HomeAdvisor.com | Get Matched to Top-Rated Remodelers, Plumbers and More

Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 10,121 times
I subscribed to AL when we moved here in 2011 and cancelled it last year. Most of the vendors we used did not provide good service. And when I posted feedback on AL, two of the vendors harassed me about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area