U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 PM

10,062 posts, read 19,929,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_florida View Post
Where in the downtown area is best to look for housing? Are you renting or buying?
I'm renting from here: 400 Rhett | Apartments for Rent in Greenville, SC I have a roommate so we're splitting the costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 PM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Spartanburg is different from Greenville. It is not all that bad.

I wish Spartanburg had a few more retail options. For example, a Mast General Store would work very well.

Dining is great. You cannot go wrong with healthy options like the Beacon.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 13,858 times
Spartanburg is a lovely city. My wife and I are young transplants from the Atlanta and Birmingham areas and could not be happier living here. Granted, downtown is not bustling like Greenville, but Spartanburg and Greenville have unique identities. We have met wonderful friends and have minimal complaints. The cost of living in the downtown area (Converse Heights for us) is ridiculously low compared to most places in the south that have as much to offer as Spartanburg.

Frankly, I wish people would stop comparing Greenville and Spartanburg and just appreciate their proximity to each other and the differences between the two. They complement each other and each has unique offerings. Greenville is a short drive away, but we do not have to deal with the traffic or parking issues in Spartanburg. Downtown is intimate, historic, pretty, and improving with each month. In fact, it's extremely exciting to be in a city that's in the midst of a renaissance as opposed to already having everything.

Anyway, I don't usually like to pander to people that bash Spartanburg, but I know plenty of potential residents read this forum and may make a decision based off of one poor assessment of a city. If anyone has any questions about Spartanburg, feel free to PM me. It's not Greenville and it's not a big city, but it's a damn lovely city and I'm proud to live here.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:48 PM

4,379 posts, read 6,066,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Benton View Post
Spartanburg is a lovely city. My wife and I are young transplants from the Atlanta and Birmingham areas and could not be happier living here. Granted, downtown is not bustling like Greenville, but Spartanburg and Greenville have unique identities. We have met wonderful friends and have minimal complaints. The cost of living in the downtown area (Converse Heights for us) is ridiculously low compared to most places in the south that have as much to offer as Spartanburg.

Frankly, I wish people would stop comparing Greenville and Spartanburg and just appreciate their proximity to each other and the differences between the two. They complement each other and each has unique offerings. Greenville is a short drive away, but we do not have to deal with the traffic or parking issues in Spartanburg. Downtown is intimate, historic, pretty, and improving with each month. In fact, it's extremely exciting to be in a city that's in the midst of a renaissance as opposed to already having everything.

Anyway, I don't usually like to pander to people that bash Spartanburg, but I know plenty of potential residents read this forum and may make a decision based off of one poor assessment of a city. If anyone has any questions about Spartanburg, feel free to PM me. It's not Greenville and it's not a big city, but it's a damn lovely city and I'm proud to live here.
I think this is a great post. You are correct.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 AM

26 posts, read 69,700 times
The main differences I've noticed between Spartanburg and Greenville is that Spartanburg has way less traffic. Traffic at 5 O'Clock on a Saturday in Greenville is absolutely terrible most of the time. Spartanburg never really has too much traffic. Greenville does have a much more updated look to the city and downtown area specifically. It's also bigger and in my opinion its a safer city but Spartanburg isn't a bad city at all.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
My concern with Spartanburg's downtown traffic would be Pine Street (United States 176, South Carolina 9). This was constructed to be a bypass for the route South Carolina 56 uses on Asheville Highway and Union Street. Having another northwest to southeast road built east around Spartanburg to circumnavigate through truck traffic would be great.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM

410 posts, read 664,186 times
I think the problem with Spartanburg is that all development and/or "progress" is an after thought, and those in charge are not qualified to be in those positions. Don't even get me started on the corrupt city government. I know a lot of things that have been hushed up.

I have a long acquaintance with the city. I grew up there, went to school there, and luckily escaped there. Then I came back, twice. Both times, I was burned. For anyone who has a love for urban design and/or planning, you just want to pull your hair out. They do cater to the wealthy families but not as much as they used to. Since running Arthur Cleveland out on a rail, things have gotten better. He owned half of downtown (including the building that Wild Wing is in now) and was letting it fall in on itself. He was the impetus behind the Marriott, which to my mind, was a catastrophic mistake. Sure it's the nicest hotel that side of Greenville, but I often wonder what would have happened if it had been placed in the Montgomery Building (the big white "skyscraper" for you transplants). Downtown would be vastly different than it is now. As it stands, their growth is glacially slow and the only good thing I've seen come from the city is their recent Main Street Challenge program. Granted, in the ten years since I graduated from college and moved back the first time (and lived downtown), it has changed for the better. There was nothing there in 2004, not even Wild Wing. When I came back in 2006 and lived in Hampton Heights, downtown had grown a little more, but was still an oasis marooned in the midst of fast moving traffic.

So yes, I'm negative about Spartanburg. Every time I gave it a chance, I was appalled by the stupidity of those calling the shots. Even now, there are people trying to do good things but the community buy in is just pathetic. Maybe the happy transplants need to take over and effect some real, lasting change. It makes me sad really because I'd like the ol' hometown to do something cool. They need to quit trying to be Greenville by enacting half baked schemes, find their own niche, and run with it.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM

10,062 posts, read 19,929,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I just visited Spartanburg for the first time, really, today. The original purpose of the trip was to visit the Spartan Photo Center, but then we went on a photo shoot in Hatcher Gardens, ate at the legendary Beacon Drive-in and then walked around and took photos in the downtown area. We thought the downtown was very nice but noticed that a lot of the storefronts were empty.

From what I've heard and see, I don't think I'd like to live in Spartanburg, but it's not that far from Greer, where I do live, that I can't visit now and then.
You should have seen downtown Spartanburg a few years ago. It has come a long way and continues to get better: $7M, mixed-use development in works near Spartanburg Marriott | GoUpstate.com

Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM

181 posts, read 279,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Benton View Post

Well put, Mr. Benton. I've been trying to defend Spartanburg on this forum, but have mostly given up. Your post is dead on the money.

Spartanburg is NOT Greenville, and some of us like it that way. I like to visit Greenville, but I'm more than happy with where I live, and can find anything and everything I need in the Hub City.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:05 PM

410 posts, read 664,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopShotter View Post
Well put, Mr. Benton. I've been trying to defend Spartanburg on this forum, but have mostly given up. Your post is dead on the money.

Spartanburg is NOT Greenville, and some of us like it that way. I like to visit Greenville, but I'm more than happy with where I live, and can find anything and everything I need in the Hub City.
Every city must continue to evolve or it will get left behind. Spartanburg doesn't need to be like Greenville or anywhere else, but it MUST find its own identity or it will continue to surge and stagger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or