Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM

73 posts, read 121,316 times

Advertisements

We have quite a large area that needs a new mulching this spring at our new house. I've estimated 10-12 cubic yards will be required. We don't have a truck or trailer to pick up our own mulch, so we would probably need to get it delivered. Any recommendations on the best place to get the mulch for a fair price?

I'm assuming double-ground hardwood mulch, but if you recommend pine straw instead please let me know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,128,975 times
We have a large area to be mulched as well. Over the years we have decided pine needles are easier to spread, look as good, and last as long. They are probably about the same price per sq yd. I get pine needles at Bloomer's in Ft. Inn. They deliver. I used to get my mulch from Henson's in Simpsonville and would today if that was my choice.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 AM

115 posts, read 263,376 times
I used to own/run a lawn and landscape maintenance company and one of the biggest mistakes people made is improper calculations when estimating mulch. I belonged to a commercial forum and this calculation tool was always accurate for my jobs. There are other tools like this on there so check them out........Hope this helps Gardenplace.com Mulch Calculator
Make sure you click either mulch or soil at the top as that will affect your calculations. Also mulch needs to be at leat 3in deep, but preferably 4in+ to stop the weeds and maintain moisture.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM

9,400 posts, read 9,686,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones06 View Post
I used to own/run a lawn and landscape maintenance company and one of the biggest mistakes people made is improper calculations when estimating mulch. I belonged to a commercial forum and this calculation tool was always accurate for my jobs. There are other tools like this on there so check them out........Hope this helps Gardenplace.com Mulch Calculator
Make sure you click either mulch or soil at the top as that will affect your calculations. Also mulch needs to be at leat 3in deep, but preferably 4in+ to stop the weeds and maintain moisture.
How I hate to do the mulch thing every year. You are correct about having 3-4" of mulch to control weeds, but that could be expensive, especially year after year.

I just put enough down as a top dressing, maybe 1 or 2 inches. Then I use Round-Up Extended Control (4 months control) and I rarely have issues with weeds.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM

115 posts, read 263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
How I hate to do the mulch thing every year. You are correct about having 3-4" of mulch to control weeds, but that could be expensive, especially year after year.

I just put enough down as a top dressing, maybe 1 or 2 inches. Then I use Round-Up Extended Control (4 months control) and I rarely have issues with weeds.
You do not have to put down that much every year, just freshen the top layer every season or as needed. The best thing to do before adding fresh mulch over the old is to lightly rake it around (break it up). Most hardwood mulch tends to form a barrier to water if left caked together, so moving it around before topdressing helps eliminate this issue. Instead of using the RoundUp try using a pre-emergent weed control such as Preen or the Miracle Gro version. I have found (at least up North) that these work much better. Of course you have to use the RoundUp first to kill the existing weeds that pre-emergents are not designed to kill.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM

684 posts, read 1,179,393 times
Because I am slightly lazy at work, where can one go to pick up mulch near Greenville:Greer?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,818,736 times
I've had mulch delivered from The Bark Yard at 533 Woodruff Road.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Found this from Southern Mulch:

Starting the Mulching Process
  • Measure your landscape to figure out the total square feet to be mulched.
  • Decide what color and texture of mulch will give your landscape the best visual appeal.
  • Ask yourself if there extra are functions needed from the mulch, such as erosion control or soil conditioning.
  • Decide on a budget. The experts at Southern Mulch can help you find the products to fit.
Tips For Making The Most of Your Mulch

For a more attractive landscape design, follow these steps before applying mulch:
  • Clear the entire mulch areas of weeds, leaves and grass. If you are enlarging your landscape onto an established lawn, be sure to strip the grass completely.
  • Edge the border of your landscape and lawn, using a flat shovel or a power edger.
  • Trim all nearby trees and shrubs.
  • If mulching over existing mulch, be sure to loosen up the old mulch to ensure better moisture penetration.
  • Avoid these Top Mulching Mistakes.
  • For detail advice see: How to Mulch like the Pro's.
www.southernmulch.com

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I've had mulch delivered from The Bark Yard at 533 Woodruff Road.
I actually called around and did some internet searching for prices. Looks like double ground mulch is the most popular around $22 to $28 cu yard. Colored double ground is usually about $10 more per cubic yard.

Delivery averages around $35 - $40 within 10 miles. One place had a limit of 4 cu yards delivered, but most I called offered a range from 1 cu yard to 40.

Lowes has bagged mulch for as low as $2.50 a 2 cf bag, but the quality is questionable. Add about $2 a bag for the premium Scotts stuff. The delivered mulch may come out better for most people, but the bagged is a little easier to handle.

Last edited by USNRET04; 04-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: added updated info

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,907 times
Another option you may want to consider is what I do. Every summer I rent the $18.00 phr flatbed from Home Depot. Luckily for me there's a mulch yard on my way home which I stop at and get the amount of mulch I need. Usually around 6 scoops of the black mulch that's sold at $15 per scoop. I can generally pick up what I need, drop it off at my house and get the truck back to Home Depot within the hour. Just a suggestion for those who are able and don't mind a little extra work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area