U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM

2,191 posts, read 2,733,257 times

Advertisements

Here is what I heard from different stations.Its our hilly terrain. Those long trek storms and tornadoes have a hard time staying together here. Especially on the mountain side of 85. I am not complaining. Also the cooler temps last night is not good for formation of thunder storms and TWC said those long storms that sat over the Florida Panhandle last night for hours held the moisture from flowing this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:21 AM

276 posts, read 171,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Is this current? Doesn't seem possible but then I'm not a meterologist, just a weather nerd.
That's from Monday.

Five inches! HA!

edit: This is this morning:
SERIOUS CONSIDERATION HAS BEEN GIVEN TO DROPPING PARTS OF THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH LATE THIS MORNING.

Seriously guys, maybe we should rethink the flood watch

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

6,235 posts, read 18,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
That's from Monday.

Five inches! HA!

SERIOUS CONSIDERATION HAS BEEN GIVEN TO DROPPING PARTS OF THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH LATE THIS MORNING.

I agree. I don't mind the watches so much as the warnings and I'd really rather not have the 5 inches of rain that was predicted Monday. I'll just leave this as the weather is unpredictable and we live in a very unpredictable area for weather!

My allergies have been less active this week for some reason.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,221,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
That's from Monday.

Five inches! HA!

My wife, kids and two dogs have been up on higher ground for two days. Is it safe for them to come down stairs now?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,923,631 times
It's worse when you are trying to build a house. I had my whole week planned around working indoors, even though I have more work to do outside.

Weather fear-mongering is one of the reasons we left FL. If there was the slightest blip off the coast of Africa, they would run a two hour prime time documentary on hurricanes. It gets tiring worrying about every storm that might hit. That's probably why we built a solid concrete home here on high ground, with a basement!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

470 posts, read 425,636 times
Every weather prognosticator who ever attempted to predict the weather here has lamented the difficulty the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains create. This is especially true when you consider we're located right at the end of the chains. A few degrees change of angle in pattern flow and all the best intentions go out the window. The end of the mountain range apparently acts as a splitting wedge, a barrier and a deflector, often all at the same time. It can magnify conditions or completely deflate them, depending any number of variables. Magnification gave us a terrifying night of tornados, back in the 73. We just witnessed some of the deflection and deflation, over the past couple of nights. The bad news is that it sometimes means scant warning when severe weather does decide to hit us.

Charlie Gertz, who flew inside hurricanes and predicted weather all over the US, freely admitted that GSP weather prediction was as tough as it gets. He once described it as being like walking up to an entrance where there are two doors, one of which is locked. Even with a 50% chance of choosing the unlocked door, you'll grab the locked door about 75% of the time.

Cedge

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,221,030 times
Thanks Cedge1 for that great information. I was really impressed on what Mr Gertz said. I suppose meteorologists have to err on the side of caution when reporting possible bad weather. My concern is the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 PM

USN...
Never take the local forecasts for granted. They can be wrong for both good AND bad weather. Best bet is keeping an eye cast toward the horizon like the farmers of old did. Noting wind direction is also a good thing. Did I mention Charlie was a drinking man? We always suspected that predicting Greenville weather contributed.

Cedge

Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM

26 posts, read 24,069 times
Charlie Gertz could predict the weather better pie-eyed than Cessarich walkin' a straight line any day.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM

OMC...
Which happened more often than not...LOL I've watched out for his drink, while he scooted back to the studio to do the late report, more than once. After all... it was his bar. He was definitely pretty darned good at the job.

Cedge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or