U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 PM

10,062 posts, read 19,932,567 times

Advertisements

Yep: Table 10: Ranked by 4th Quarter 2013 Average Domestic Fare (2013$) | Bureau of Transportation Statistics

GREER — Passengers flying out of the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) are paying lower than average domestic fares, according to the US Department of Transportation’s fourth quarter 2013 air fare report.

The US Department of Transportation ranks airports based on average fares and in the fourth quarter of 2013, GSP ranked in the Top 100 and ahead of Atlanta, Charlotte and Charleston airports. In the same report, GSP was credited with the second largest decrease in average fares since fourth quarter 2000 behind only White Plains, NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
That is good news, if true. Because often folks would drive to Charlotte or Atlanta airports to save money on air fares.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,443,468 times
In my experience it matters where your destination is. Anywhere to Florida and gsp is cheaper or the same. But when DH has had to go to Chicago New York, and DC it would have been cheaper to go through Charlotte but not enough to make the 2hr drive worth it.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM

3,443 posts, read 5,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
In my experience it matters where your destination is. Anywhere to Florida and gsp is cheaper or the same. But when DH has had to go to Chicago New York, and DC it would have been cheaper to go through Charlotte but not enough to make the 2hr drive worth it.
It also depends upon being direct or not. We recently chose to drive to Atlanta and back for a round trip to Tampa on Southwest. It was less expensive, but more importantly it was hours shorter (even when including the drive time). GSP to TPA via Houston is crazy (I can drive it faster and cheaper).

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,154,926 times
A recently trip to Chicago wa cheaper for me to fly out of GSP. However, a recent trip to San Antonio made the drive to CLT worth it- however that was my second flight back into CLT that has been cancelled in the last year.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM

11,471 posts, read 25,695,605 times
Allegiant has really good rates to FL if you book early. I've gotten round trip tickets for $80. The only thing is that they only fly to FL from GSP. I wish they'd open flights to up north. I know they fly there from FL.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 PM

3,443 posts, read 5,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Allegiant has really good rates to FL if you book early. I've gotten round trip tickets for $80. The only thing is that they only fly to FL from GSP. I wish they'd open flights to up north. I know they fly there from FL.
We've had too many issues with "Jalopy Airlines" and have decided not to fly them anymore. It's really too bad, because they do have cheap direct flights into two airports within 40 minutes of our family and my main client.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:49 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
too bad the fares for places we typically travel to don't align with this study. I'm not so sure that blind average fares is a good way to compare airports, but I would have to read how they did their study. We typically drive to Charlotte to fly. We then have the added benefit of dropping our dog off with family there before leaving, but 9/10 the fares are cheaper for us out of CLT than GSP. Only 1 time in the past few years did GSP work out cheaper for us.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 PM

11,471 posts, read 25,695,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
We've had too many issues with "Jalopy Airlines" and have decided not to fly them anymore. It's really too bad, because they do have cheap direct flights into two airports within 40 minutes of our family and my main client.
Honestly, we've never had any issues with them and they fly right into Sanford, 10 minutes from where we are from. It's just so easy to get in and out of both airports.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:17 PM

38 posts, read 83,932 times
GSP is a great airport. I use it even if the flight is a little more than ATL or CLT. it is the ultimate in convenience, great security compared to other cities, and after a silent flight back from the west coast, I love all the friendly talk on the ATL to GSP leg. It's like getting home early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or