U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
Does anyone have old pictures or maps to share of the Greenville area? I would LOVE to see what Fairview Rd used to look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Shamrock
I don't have any photos, but close your eyes and imagine a narrow two lane road with barbed wire on either side. Now add some cows...LOL. It really was pretty and serene when it was still active farm land. Forgive me for falling to temptations I couldn't control?....(grin)
Imagine vast farm properties like the one remaining at the corner of Fairview Road and Harrison Bridge Road across from Target. Many of those properties remain toward Hickory Tavern and Waterloo in Laurens County.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM

8,142 posts, read 5,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I don't remember the Winn Dixie specifically but I do seem to recall an old Hardee's at that intersection before it was realigned. I don't remember the interchange there except it was somehow "weird"
Hardee's of Simpsonville #1. #2 is the still operating unit at 14 and Main in Simpsonville.

There was something else there as well.. A building that was lost when the interchange was redone.. I can't recall what it was though.. Perhaps a gas station? The Hardee's building has been a couple of things since.. A mexican restaurant lasted the longest, I believe.. And it is currently vacant again.

The Winn-Dixie, as best my memory will allow.. Was 'across the street' from what is now GrandSouth bank. Stand with your back to Big Lots front door, walk straight through the parking lot.. pass McDonalds on your right, then the bank on your right, and you'd walk straight into Winn-Dixie.

One exit up.. At Georgia Rd in Simpsonville.. There was an Irish Pub type restaurant named Clancy's.. Along with the Amoco (Still standing, but vacant) and I believe a Pantry/BP station across the street.. Clancy's and the Pantry were demolished for the road project.. And, of course, the Ingles just up the street that had Ingles and most likely a Revco or Eckerds with it.. As an outbuilding in the parking lot was a Soup and Salad restaurant.. Our resident Ingles expert can likely give the exact time, but I seem to recall around 87 or 88 all those shut down. The restaurant building was razed first.. I'm thinking in 2004 or so.. The rest of the lot a couple of years later.

Also.. A club/bar/what have you that is still there.. I know for a while it was JW Breakers.. Mac's Comedy Club.. Not sure what it is now.. However, that building many, many moons ago was an Orr's Seafood.. Which also had a location on S Pleasantburg.. Orr's on Pleasantburg used to be where the Taco Bell used to be.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 PM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Hardee's of Simpsonville #1. #2 is the still operating unit at 14 and Main in Simpsonville.

There was something else there as well.. A building that was lost when the interchange was redone.. I can't recall what it was though.. Perhaps a gas station? The Hardee's building has been a couple of things since.. A mexican restaurant lasted the longest, I believe.. And it is currently vacant again.

One exit up.. At Georgia Rd in Simpsonville.. There was an Irish Pub type restaurant named Clancy's.. Along with the Amoco (Still standing, but vacant) and I believe a Pantry/BP station across the street.. Clancy's and the Pantry were demolished for the road project.. And, of course, the Ingles just up the street that had Ingles and most likely a Revco or Eckerds with it.. As an outbuilding in the parking lot was a Soup and Salad restaurant.. Our resident Ingles expert can likely give the exact time, but I seem to recall around 87 or 88 all those shut down. The restaurant building was razed first.. I'm thinking in 2004 or so.. The rest of the lot a couple of years later.
Burger King relocated to make way for the new Interstate 385 on ramp from Fairview Road northbound.

I know Ingle's store 41 relocated to Fairview Station around 1989. This was around the same time store 74 (White Horse Road, Greenville) remodeled and expanded. I do not know who the drugstore was. I would lean to Eckerd or Revco.

Former Ingle's Markets store 41; West Georgia Road, Simpsonville, SC, 29680 - Strip Center Property - Off-Market on LoopNet.com

Old 05-09-2014, 01:54 PM

70 posts, read 45,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Do you remember the independent record shop that was at Greenville Mall? I can't remember the name of the place but it hung on long after a lot of other tenants had left.
I think you may be talking about Peppermint Records. I spent many hours in that store looking at posters and records in the 80's. In fact I remember the first album I bought there, 1999 by Prince and the Revolution, on a bible school field trip. I always thought it was funny that is what I bought on that trip.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 772 times
Default Gravel Pit with a mini-train around it?

Between 1957-1960, I remember my parents driving by a large pit in the ground on a piece of property in Greenville. There were no trees or foliage around it; just dirt, rocks and weeds. It was clearly visable from the main road and had a kiddie (aka mini) train that either went all the way around it or along one side. I have been trying to place this location for years. Any ideas?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 AM

469 posts, read 424,034 times
S Talley
I'm afraid I'm not coming up with anything in answer to your question. George, the mini train that now runs around the Pavilion in Taylors, also operated around the perimeter of McPherson Park, in the 50s and early 60's. The park is situated in a low area, at Main St and Academy St, but there were always lots of trees there. I'm not sure when the train left McPherson park, but it was sold out of state. Many years later, it was repurchased and brought back to Greenville by a wonderful local couple, whose names I've sadly forgotten. They restored it (a total of 3 identical trains in all) and then successfully negotiated to locate it in its present home. They operated George together, until his death, and were there every weekend. It was always obvious that they were relishing sharing the fun with the children. I always enjoyed taking my own grandchildren to ride on the same train that I road on, when I was a wee lad in the late 50's.

I had forgotten about starting this thread. Thank you much for resurrecting it.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:33 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,195,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post

Haywood Rd was a narrow two lane in 1973 that terminated at Pelham rd. Hudson rd was the only route to the Esatside, unless you knew the Butler Springs secret. Howell connected Edwards and Haywood while I was spending my 4 years with the USAF. The only things on Haywood, back then, were Eastern Business Forms and a small Juke joint. I worked as a pressman at EB before doing the USAF the favor of my personal presence.

Cedge
Was there a two lane road between downtown and 85 prior to 385 being built?

It seems like they had to use eminent domain to route 385 by the Overbrook neighborhood area near downtown.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:51 PM

469 posts, read 424,034 times
ClemV
Laurens Rd/Stone Ave., Augusta Rd and Church St all still run from Downtown to I-85.

There have been several different iterations of Lowndse Hill Rd. over the years, most requiring a bit of eminent domain.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 AM

109 posts, read 66,841 times
My grandparents have lived in Buxton behind the peddler steak house since the early 70s. It's weird to see how much the city has changed. I remember when cherrydale was just a field with that plantation house and the factory. I also remember when downtown was all boarded up and decrepit looking.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:45 AM

109 posts, read 66,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
On the high end of N Pleasantburg.. After you pass over Wade Hampton.. There used to be some kind of televangical ministry or something there.. Does anyone remember what the name of that was and when it closed up shop?

I remember around 1995 or so, I was working on Pelham Rd.. Next to the Elk's Lodge (Which is still there).. That whole area was a big bunch of nothing.. It started to grow right around 95.. Right around then is when Regal opened the 16 screen theater (which closed within 5 years).. Restaurant row was nothing other than the Hungry Fisherman.. I think they had removed the paddle boats by that time.

Charlie's BBQ used to be across the street from where it is now. It moved once they built that new center.. As I recall, the old center that it was in used to have a gas station on the end. FedEx was directly across the street. Computer Dynamics at the time was locally owned.. I think they're still there on Pelham, but part of a much bigger company now.
I remember when they opened that theater. Saw GoldenEye there. We were living by East Side High in 95/96 and we then moved to Taylors in 97. Next time we went through there that theater was gone. It didn't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or