U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 AM

109 posts, read 67,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Couple of other things that I can think of.. I know this is hijacking the topic from its original intent.. But.. It is called "Thinking back a few years"..

There used to be a 'fun park' in the mold of Frankie's on Wade Hampton.. Demolished and a church built in its place.. I'm thinking sometime around 2000.. Basically right around the time that Frankie's opened. It was.. Not exactly the safest place in the world from what I remember.

When I moved back to SC in 91 to attend college.. I lived in Crossroads apartments.. At the time, it was a decently nice place. From what i've heard, it went way downhill and, of course, now it's been rebuilt into condos it appears, in the vein of Riverplace(?) across the street from it.

There was also a Wendy's beside the Pantry on Faris across from Greenville Tech. It burned to the ground in the late 90's.. That Pantry closed and remained closed for quite a while as well before reopening.

When the whole 25/I-85 interchange was redone in 95 or so.. I believe a Texaco and a Hardee's were lost in that.. Along with Triangle Amoco. Of course.. The number of former Hardee's locations in the upstate is staggering if you think about it.. If I recall.. The numbering system, when I worked for the computer subcontractor for them.. I think the one on Pelham Rd was Greenville #14.. The closed one from Hwy 25 @ I-85 was #5..

Domino's, which I worked for in college.. Used to have a location on Augusta Rd, situated right beside the Spinx station. And used to have a location on Haywood at the corner of Haywood and Pelham.. That one, I believe, moved to N Pleasantburg.. I had left by the time all that happened, so I don't fully know the story there.. Figure that the location just sucked so far as getting in and out of.. Especially around Christmastime. Last I saw, there was a Pebble Creek Pizza location there.

And then.. The area across from McAlister Square on Antrim.. Vince Perone's and the City Club.. Those haven't been gone that long.. 10 years maybe?

Cash America pawn on Pleasantburg used to be a Po Folks.. Across the street from it was an Arby's, which has been 100 different things since. 2 Pizza Hut's on Pleasantburg closed down.. One on South, which last I saw was a motorcycle place and one on North near.. Nationwide insurance, I think, was demolished.
The Fun park was called Tropical Island. I spent many a summer day there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Pat
I had to consult with an older member of the family, but I think I got you an answer. The original Krispy Kreme was apparently located on the right side of the street, just as you turned left onto Augusta St. from Main street. I'm not sure when it moved to Pleasantburg Dr.

I can vaguely remember it being at a "downtown" location, but could not properly place it in my mind. our church youth group would go there very early on Saturday morning and buy a huge number donuts to sell door to door, in order to raise money for activities. Perhaps someone else can pin point the specific building, assuming it still exists. It gets a little blurry when I try to tap the memories of the 7-9 year old kid that was me, back then.

Labonte...
I can't recall the fun park where a church now sits, but there was a water slide and miniature golf on Wade Hampton in Taylors, at Reid School Rd. just across from the liquor store. This was one of Jimmy Roger's early moves at getting out of the Night Club gig in the early 80's. There was also an official Putt-Putt franchised course, where the Mekong restaurant is located, and a full fledged par 3 course at the corner of Wade Hampton and Pleasantburg, where the public storage is now.

Don't sweat a hi-jack. The memory jogging effect is much appreciated. Answering questions is far easier than coming up with my own content...LOL

Bonus....
Until the mid to late 80's there was a Crown Gas station located at the intersection of W. Lee and Wade Hampton, that had a fountain. This fountain was located at the extreme point of the property, nearest the red light. It was a thing with us kid from the area to bombard the fountain with laundry or dish detergent. Many were the times that the intersection was covered in foam, sometimes several feet thick. It was something no one openly talked about, but everyone seemed to know who last succeed without getting caught. Not that I know anything first hand.... that would just be wrong.

Anyone else know what lurks beneath the present day Greenville Tech Campus.

Cedge
We used to skip school at Wade Hampton High and go to that putt putt course or the Bijou theater. Fun times

Old 01-02-2018, 01:15 PM

I remember when that Wendy's burned down. I was going to Greenville Tech

Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM

I remember when Mekong on WH was an Arby's. We used to wait there after school for my mom to pick us up on her way home from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or