U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,155 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here on this forum, but I felt that it was time to make a post to introduce myself.

My girlfriend and I will be moving to the Greenville area here at the beginning of June. She will be attending graduate school at Clemson, while I try to begin my professional career (If you know of anyone hiring, I'm an MBA grad willing to do just about any type of job, and always looking to network).

We have already secured housing, so the main reason of this thread is to ask for suggestions for "hole in the wall" type restaurants for us to try while we familiarize ourselves with the area. If anyone has any ideas for Must Do things in the area, I would enjoy hearing about those as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,154,926 times
Where are you moving from? And I assume you've visited before?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:33 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
There are lots of "hole in the wall" local places to eat and "must do" things to do, depending on your interests.

What kinds of things do you like to do? There are tons of outdoor activities in the area including fishing, hiking, camping, rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc. There are restaurants and places to hang out in downtown Greenville and in many of the surrounding towns depending on what you are looking to do in your free time.

By "hole in the wall" restaurants do you mean greasy spoon type places like the local Clock restaurants or upscale local restaurants like they have downtown (Soby's, Larkin's, etc.)?

Is the MBA a follow-up to an engineering degree or a business degree? This area has a lot of manufacturing related industries like BMW, GE, Michelin, Bosch, etc. Many of those companies have support jobs in the area that might be suited for an MBA depending on your background.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,155 times
Thanks for the responses, guys.

We'll be moving from central Kentucky, so we've had the opportunity to see Greenville and the surrounding areas a couple of times.

We're huge BBQ fans, and I came across the South Carolina BBQ Trail Map, but noticed places like Sticky Fingers on there, so I wasn't sure if that was the best place to start with "hole in the wall" type restaurants.

I returned for my MBA after a few years in sales and getting my Bachelor's in Business with hopes of gaining education to be able to work in supply chain, logistics, or purchasing. I'm really focussing on the automotive industry, so having BMW, Michilen, and their suppliers in the area should provide plenty of opportunities for employment, although I am having trouble with getting in touch with the proper people in HR departments.

We're really looking forward to moving to the area, and hope that we can stay for much longer than just a few years.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 35,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMHolmes8 View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys.

We'll be moving from central Kentucky, so we've had the opportunity to see Greenville and the surrounding areas a couple of times.

We're huge BBQ fans, and I came across the South Carolina BBQ Trail Map, but noticed places like Sticky Fingers on there, so I wasn't sure if that was the best place to start with "hole in the wall" type restaurants.

I returned for my MBA after a few years in sales and getting my Bachelor's in Business with hopes of gaining education to be able to work in supply chain, logistics, or purchasing. I'm really focussing on the automotive industry, so having BMW, Michilen, and their suppliers in the area should provide plenty of opportunities for employment, although I am having trouble with getting in touch with the proper people in HR departments.

We're really looking forward to moving to the area, and hope that we can stay for much longer than just a few years.
The Stax restaurants in town might be something, I wouldn't call them hole in the wall but they are only local to Greenville. I think the one on Orchard Park Drive has a unique vibe to it compared to similar restaurants.

Henry's Smokehouse BBQ in Greenville is good. Pete's is an old school diner located on Wade Hampton.

Tito's, Pizza City, and Two Guys Pizza (this one is in Simpsonville) are kind of under the radar but good pizza.

I like a Mexican place on North Street near the Pleasantburg Rd intersection in the Bi-Lo Shopping Center. El Molcajete is the name of it.

Last edited by Pinetree9; 05-02-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
Bucky's BBQ is a local place that is very good. They make an excellent Sweet Potato Crunch.

I will agree that Stax is good and they have several locations.

There are several Pete's diners but they don't seem to be owned by the same person.

There are a lot of suppliers in the area for BMW that will increase your search considerably.

Are y'all going to be in Clemson or Greenville? Your location might help narrow down your search.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM

803 posts, read 1,465,109 times
I love Henry's for BBQ as well but my friends swear by the Smokin Pig. 6630 Clemson Blvd in Pendleton SC. I hear you better get there early.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,863 times
Go to michelin.com. Drill down into North America, US, and Recruiting. Lots of jobs posted that you can apply to. An MBA is huge you should have no problem.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 PM

141 posts, read 185,889 times
You could spend multitudes of days/evenings in downtown Greenville and find something new each time for a long time! Lots of good events, festivals, restaurants, etc etc.

For BBQ/related Southern food, we really like Smoke on the Water, which is downtown in the West End. It's a decent value, nice atmosphere and we love the food!

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM

667 posts, read 844,274 times
My favorite "hole in the wall" is The Velo Fellow on Augusta St., below and 'round back of Mellow Mushroom. The lamb burger with grilled portobello mushroom is lip-smackin' good, especially when preceded by a plate of garlic-pimento cheddar cheese with pita wedges (depending on how hungry I happen to be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or